School district bans game of tag

This is one school district in one community. Yet you see "cookie cutter kids". You want school districts to have control over their schools. And yet when school districts exert such control, you want to step in and have your say, as if you were a Washington bureaucrat.

If you want your child's education based on what happens on a playground, I contend that your child will be severely disadvantaged in the market, unless you're raising an NFL tailback or linebacker. What happens in the classroom is what counts. And as long as the school teaches science not mythology, reading, writing, mathematics and the arts, there should be no problem.

This is over your head, go bother someone else
That's what they all say as soon as they realize they've lost the argument.

I never lost anything, I said we send our children to private schools in order to escape lunacy such as this, they also go to escape it from the classroom also. The left needs to get past this BS that children belong to society, they don't, they belong to their parents. WE will make the rules regarding how they are raised. The left is totally fucked up....the last thing I want is them around the kids spreading their BS
This school district is not banning play. They are banning what they see as potentially hurtful play. In this increasingly litigious society, they are hedging their bets and taking no chances.

It's the classroom that counts. So long as science, math, reading and writing are taught, where's the problem? Or do you insist on Conservative political indoctrination? Myth rather than science? A white washed version of history? No arts classes?

Let me guess, you hated sports and was always picked last..that's ok but I guess you have never been a parent...

But trust me you will be one day.

Children need exercise ...they need to explore and go out and have fun...
I was a Varsity football player in high school and the proud father of two. I do not object to playing tag. I do not object to recess.

But, this school district made this decision, I assume, on insurance costs and potential lawsuits. Reading more into it, political motivations especially, betrays a mind too shallow or too narrow to conceive of any other scenario. A mind trapped in a narrow political template that dictates one viewpoint over any alternative.

This is over your head, go bother someone else

I never lost anything, I said we send our children to private schools in order to escape lunacy such as this, they also go to escape it from the classroom also. The left needs to get past this BS that children belong to society, they don't, they belong to their parents. WE will make the rules regarding how they are raised. The left is totally fucked up....the last thing I want is them around the kids spreading their BS
This school district is not banning play. They are banning what they see as potentially hurtful play. In this increasingly litigious society, they are hedging their bets and taking no chances.

It's the classroom that counts. So long as science, math, reading and writing are taught, where's the problem? Or do you insist on Conservative political indoctrination? Myth rather than science? A white washed version of history? No arts classes?

WTF is harmful about tag? If you think there is ANYTHING harmful about it YOU are part of the problem
I'm not saying tag is harmful. Read back, I'll wait. I've never said that.
But if you run a school, anything you sanction that results in any injury makes YOU liable. Ask your insurance agent, she'll tell you the same.

Do you want to open yourself up to a million dollar lawsuit over a cracked noggin on your playground?

I am 50....so are you telling me this has low we became?

That children can not even play anymore?

You libs totally fucked it all up

Nice job

YES! It's about time we ban tag. It's unfair.

Ban tag.
Ban dodgeball.
Ban offensive clothing.

But God forbid we not allow a Muslim to bring his replica bomb-clock to school and IMMEDIATELY ignore it once he simply says "It's a clock."

WTF is harmful about tag? If you think there is ANYTHING harmful about it YOU are part of the problem
But if you run a school, anything you sanction that results in any injury makes YOU liable. Ask your insurance agent, she'll tell you the same.

Do you want to open yourself up to a million dollar lawsuit over a cracked noggin on your playground?

I am 50....so are you telling me this has low we became?

That children can not even play anymore?

You libs totally fucked it all up

Nice job
Let me make you understand this simple precept: I do not object to play. If this school district sees tag as a potentially harmful game, it is their authority to make changes suitable for that district.

How litigious have we become? That should answer your question 'how low (have) we become

I wonder if they banned "Smear The Queer" also? That was a fun game.

If this is to protect children from getting hurt, they are going to have to ban just about EVERY activity including running, jungle gyms, and all sports.

This is why we are raising little emotional wimps. Banning tag? What the hell? :eek:

School district bans game of tag to ‘ensure physical, emotional safety of students’

MERCER ISLAND, Wash. -- Kids at the Mercer Island School District are now banned from playing the popular childhood game of tag on the playground.

Parents told Q13 Fox News they had no idea about the ban until their kids told them. Now, moms and dads are asking why they weren’t part of the decision-making process.

“Good grief, our kids need some unstructured playtime,” said mom Kelsey Joyce.

It’s a game that practically everyone has played – but if you go to public school on Mercer Island, keep your hands to yourself.

District parents were surprised by the decision.

“I totally survived tag,” said Joyce. “I even survived red rover, believe it or not.”

School district bans game of tag to ‘ensure physical, emotional safety of students’
And they wonder "Why are our kids getting fat?"

If this is to protect children from getting hurt, they are going to have to ban just about EVERY activity including running, jungle gyms, and all sports.

But school thrive on football, hockey, baseball, etc

What next, flag ball instead of tackling? Nerf hockey pucks and baseballs?

District responds to concerns about tag
September 25, 2015 - The ‘hands-off’ policy intended for unstructured play and recess however well intended, has led to confusion, false reporting and is clearly not supported by many staff and many parents. Although the plan was focused on keeping students safe, it lacked stakeholder participation and support. The expectations for student behavior both in and out of our classrooms can be found in the published Students Rights and Responsibilities. Playground rules and expectations can also be found in each school’s handbook.

Tag as we know it and have known it is reinstated. In addition, students may continue to play “flag tag” as they wish. Other respectful games that involve appropriate physical interaction are also encouraged. Our school principals and teachers will work with our students as they imagine and develop new games for play.

Each school principal will reach out to his/her parent community and staff to determine whether or not expectations during unstructured playtime are well known and shared. If changes need to be made, stakeholder input will be sought at each school. In addition, elementary principals will seek student input and feedback on these expectations to demonstrate ownership in their learning.

Yes, we are a learning organization, too.

http://www.mercerislandschools.org/...88f&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=34195&PageID=11459

Yet more nanny state nonsense aimed at neutering children and turning them into passive sheep.

September 25, 2015 - The ‘hands-off’ policy intended for unstructured play and recess however well intended, has led to confusion, false reporting and is clearly not supported by many staff and many parents. Although the plan was focused on keeping students safe, it lacked stakeholder participation and support. The expectations for student behavior both in and out of our classrooms can be found in the published Students Rights and Responsibilities. Playground rules and expectations can also be found in each school’s handbook.

Tag as we know it and have known it is reinstated. In addition, students may continue to play “flag tag” as they wish. Other respectful games that involve appropriate physical interaction are also encouraged. Our school principals and teachers will work with our students as they imagine and develop new games for play.

Each school principal will reach out to his/her parent community and staff to determine whether or not expectations during unstructured playtime are well known and shared. If changes need to be made, stakeholder input will be sought at each school. In addition, elementary principals will seek student input and feedback on these expectations to demonstrate ownership in their learning.

http://www.mercerislandschools.org/...88f&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=34195&PageID=11459

Back lash forced them to reconsider.

Just because they don't ban it I don't believe is sanctioning it.

Back lash forced them to reconsider.

It's the end of civilization as we know it!:spinner::spinner::spinner:

Forum List

Back