School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

Parental rights. Isn't that your gong to bang all day long?
You all want to be notified when a child changes pronouns. Fair, btw. And that should be then handled by the parent.
Why then are the parents cut out of the process for something as serious as peer-to-peer sexual abuse?

Where have I said, or even implied, that parents should not be in the loop?

Not having any argument against anything I've actually said you're just making up shit and lying about it, attributing it to me, and then arguing against that.

strawman.jpg

Okay then, don't JAIL us when we don't take on the duties that parents do.

Under YOUR precepts. YOURS:

Why should the choir teacher not have said, "Have her tell her parents"?

Don't protect school staff when they commit crimes.

Thus far not a single conservative on this thread can give a reason why the choir teacher should not have advised the student to TELL HER PARENTS.

Anyone?

Isn't that what you want? Parental control?

Why in this case is everyone like, throw the teachers in jail? Or is it just throw them in jail for whatever?
I feel like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I'm much more libertarian (small L) than conservative, but we see eye to eye about most school issues.

So, here is one reason why the choir teacher should not (just) advise the student to tell her parents: Telling her parents would have been the logical move for any kid who is molested/assaulted/raped at school. They might tell the school first if they are in a hurry to report it, but most kids would think "I'm telling mom," right off the bat.

Therefore, if she has not told her parents, there is likely a reason. Maybe a good reason, maybe a dumb reason, maybe a borderline reason. Rather than try to work all that out, the obvious move for the teacher would have been to report it.

It sounds as if she did report it, but to her superious rather than CPS. Her superiors did not follow the law and let CPS know. Unfortunately, that teacher also did not follow the law, if the law in her state requires that CPS, not just the bosses, be informed. I get the reluctance to get involved, and feeling that principals get paid extra to deal with exactly that kind of thing. You're trusting them with your career, your reputation, and maybe your freedom when you leave it to them.

Lawmakers know that some administrators would prefer to keep something like that quiet, so they require everyone who works with children to report it. It would be a travesty if that teacher lost her license, or served time. It really should be part of the start of year trainings we get like "blood borne pathogens," and "Run, Hide, Fight."

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

Staff are now JAILED--including the teacher, who did the correct thing.

No, they are in jail because they did not do the right thing.

Mandatory reporting laws are very clear. When they learn of things like abuse (physical or sexual), they are to report it to the police.

Period.

Did the teacher report it to the police? This is quite simple, yes or no.

If the teacher did not inform the police, then she is in violation of the law and should be arrested.

You get paid maybe $50K a year and if you make a misstep in one direction, jail for you. In another direction--leave the kids alone! What they do off school hours and off school time is not your business!

There is no winning here.
Just quit already, you fucking incessant whiner!

A good math teacher... especially at the grammar school level should be paid a minimum of 250k/year...based on results. Math is the key to all science. Same thing goes for physics, chemistry and mech engineering.
Schools aren’t businesses. There’s only so much a school can pay it’s staff. Even the good ones.

Paying teachers 250k a year would require an astronomical increase in local property taxes in the vast majority of school districts.

And that is a crime. They are mandatory reporters, and by law have to report such things.

Period.
Does the teacher reporting it to administration get her off the hook? I mean, she *did* report it….

Or, in education, is it required for teachers to also report the allegation to the authorities?

In nursing, if I were told of an allegation of abuse, I would report it to a manager who would in turn alert the State, and I’d document that I told the director/whoever. (Of course, I’d also be responsible to immediately intervene to stop the abuse if it were happening currently)

If they failed to report it, why would *I* be in trouble?

Schools aren’t businesses. There’s only so much a school can pay it’s staff. Even the good ones.

Paying teachers 250k a year would require an astronomical increase in local property taxes in the vast majority of school districts.
I realize that.... Nonetheless we languish in our choices

In choir class, a student passed a note to the choir teacher along the lines of, "My friend is being sexually assaulted". The teacher passed it to the guidance office and admin, who had meetings and did...nothing.

Of course, what happened to the girl is terrible and it's a shame the admin dropped the ball. BUT

Staff are now JAILED--including the teacher, who did the correct thing.

On one hand: Just do your job and teach! On the other: but oh yeah, you're responsible to report any misconduct you hear about, even if it's OFF school time and OFF school property--at threat of losing your job AND BEING JAILED.

America cannot decide what they want. Are we just teaching? Or are we raising your kids to the point of being responsible for what teenagers do on the weekends? And if we miss--we are in jail?

Who is going to do this job now? Why would they?

Yet Gym Jordan gets away with the same failure to report.

Does the teacher reporting it to administration get her off the hook? I mean, she *did* report it….

No. The most they should do is inform the school. Just as a doctor who learns of such should inform the hospital.

But under mandatory reporting, they are to report such crimes to Law Enforcement. Telling somebody else is not a "get out of jail free" card.

And if you are in the medical field, you could get in trouble the same way if you do not report it to the required government agencies. Simply notifying your superiors is not enough.

No. The most they should do is inform the school. Just as a doctor who learns of such should inform the hospital.

But under mandatory reporting, they are to report such crimes to Law Enforcement. Telling somebody else is not a "get out of jail free" card.

And if you are in the medical field, you could get in trouble the same way if you do not report it to the required government agencies. Simply notifying your superiors is not enough.
I still feel like this teacher is being thrown under the bus for mistakes made by the administrators she reported the allegation to.

I still feel like this teacher is being thrown under the bus for mistakes made by the administrators she reported the allegation to.

There is a reason why such individuals are supposed to inform law enforcement.

Imagine if they learned the abuse was from another member of the staff. And they then report it to their supervisor, who is also involved in the abuse. Or wants to cover it up so the institution does not get a bad mark.

It is not like such has never happened in the past. And why some are calling on higher education like Universities and Colleges to do the same thing, as many of them are not actually classified as mandatory reporters. And there has been a hell of a lot of covering up of incidents like that on their campuses, as they do not want others to think badly of them.

Or, in education, is it required for teachers to also report the allegation to the authorities?

In nursing, if I were told of an allegation of abuse, I would report it to a manager who would in turn alert the State, and I’d document that I told the director/whoever. (Of course, I’d also be responsible to immediately intervene to stop the abuse if it were happening currently)

If they failed to report it, why would *I* be in trouble?
Conversely the very same state is ready to mandate drag education to minors...go figure

I feel like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I'm much more libertarian (small L) than conservative, but we see eye to eye about most school issues.

So, here is one reason why the choir teacher should not (just) advise the student to tell her parents: Telling her parents would have been the logical move for any kid who is molested/assaulted/raped at school. They might tell the school first if they are in a hurry to report it, but most kids would think "I'm telling mom," right off the bat.

Therefore, if she has not told her parents, there is likely a reason. Maybe a good reason, maybe a dumb reason, maybe a borderline reason. Rather than try to work all that out, the obvious move for the teacher would have been to report it.

It sounds as if she did report it, but to her superious rather than CPS. Her superiors did not follow the law and let CPS know. Unfortunately, that teacher also did not follow the law, if the law in her state requires that CPS, not just the bosses, be informed. I get the reluctance to get involved, and feeling that principals get paid extra to deal with exactly that kind of thing. You're trusting them with your career, your reputation, and maybe your freedom when you leave it to them.

Lawmakers know that some administrators would prefer to keep something like that quiet, so they require everyone who works with children to report it. It would be a travesty if that teacher lost her license, or served time. It really should be part of the start of year trainings we get like "blood borne pathogens," and "Run, Hide, Fight."

I understand all of this.

I am asking the people on this board who harp on PARENTS RIGHTS all the livelong day:

Where is your stance on parents rights here? These same folks who want to know what's on every page in every book in the library are suddenly fine with the school reporting to POLICE what happened off school grounds and off school time, not having anything to do with abuse in the home. Without notifying the parents.

For parents rights folks, the above assumes that the parents are neglectful or abusive, see. From their POV, nope. Only teachers and school staff are that, for the most part.

They want it all ways--which has made our jobs impossible.

Forum List

Back