School Staff JAILED for Not Reporting

No one is backed into a corner. Nor has anyone emphatically said to not inform the parents. If the teacher wants to, that may be all well, and good. However that does not do away with the legal requirement to notify authorities.

Why is it the school's responsibility to report to authorities and not the parents?

If the abuse is not happening in the home....

and from YOUR worldview?

Aren't you all up in arms when schools talk about "our" kids? Aren't we big into parents rights?

It's inconsistent in the extreme, when you're talking about student-to-student abuse, and the abuse is not coming from home.

The positions that parents should be notified what their children are taught but if your student tells a teacher that other students are abusing her, parents should be left in the dark while the school takes steps...

That is very inconsistent.
Who said to not also inform the parents?

Why is it the school's responsibility to report to authorities and not the parents?

If the abuse is not happening in the home....

and from YOUR worldview?

Aren't you all up in arms when schools talk about "our" kids? Aren't we big into parents rights?
Why? Because while a student is in school they become the pseudo guardian, and as such it becomes their responsibility to see to the saftey of the children while in their care. This has been the law since before either of us were born.

Why? Because while a student is in school they become the pseudo guardian, and as such it becomes their responsibility to see to the saftey of the children while in their care. This has been the law since before either of us were born.

Their immediate safety, of course.

We don't take them to the doctor.

Or make sure they have proper glasses and footwear.

Listen, if you haven't caught on, I'm arguing from YOUR standpoint. Parent's rights.

Their immediate safety, of course.

We don't take them to the doctor.

Or make sure they have proper glasses and footwear.

Listen, if you haven't caught on, I'm arguing from YOUR standpoint. Parent's rights.
Only I am qualified to argue from my standpoint...

I think it's disgusting how the Meatball slanders teachers as groomers and whatnot. The teacher did the right thing and I have no clue what the charge could be that led to the arrest. It wasn't her that dropped the ball according to the OP.
The teacher did their duty in reporting to the leadership but the duty goes beyond that.
Once leadership failed to act responsibility for reporting and protecting the child came back to the teacher.

Every teacher, day care worker, school employee, police officer, doctor, nurse, etc. in Florida is regularly informed of this duty.
While the initial reporting would serve as mitigation the failure to follow through still imposes a criminal liability on all involved.

That is in Florida.

Why has that to be explained to her?

It's unclear to me, from the article, just who is responsible for passing the information on to whom, in the chain of command, but at some point, someone in that chain certainly had a duty to notify the appropriate authorities, and failed to do so in a timely manner.
Aren't you one of the biggest players of the gong that says "Leave our kids alone" on here?

You know damn well that your response has no relevance to mine.

Now, you're just being dishonest.

The teacher did their duty in reporting to the leadership but the duty goes beyond that.
Once leadership failed to act responsibility for reporting and protecting the child came back to the teacher.

Every teacher, day care worker, school employee, police officer, doctor, nurse, etc. in Florida is regularly informed of this duty.
While the initial reporting would serve as mitigation the failure to follow through still imposes a criminal liability on all involved.

That is in Florida.
That's only if she didn't knew that the leadership didn't take action. If she did know then she was in on it and just as guilty as the others.

I'm asking for some consistency from my fellow conservatives on educational matters. You might as well ask the sun to rise in the west, I know.

There is no inconsistency here, in our position.

An obligation to refrain from abusing children does not negate any obligation to report to appropriate authorities any abuse of which one becomes aware.

It's inconsistent in the extreme, when you're talking about student-to-student abuse, and the abuse is not coming from home.

The positions that parents should be notified what their children are taught but if your student tells a teacher that other students are abusing her, parents should be left in the dark while the school takes steps...

That is very inconsistent.

To add to this: parents want to be notified now if their child changes pronouns. But the conservatives here say if a child tells a teacher she is being sexually assaulted by other children--nah, the schools can take over.

REALLY?
I didn't say the teachers shouldn't tell parents in that situation, but that doesn't absolve them from the legal requirement to tell authorities. They can do both (as long as it is clear that the abuse is not happening at home)

Bob I would especially like to hear from you:
Why were the girl's parents not "the proper authorities"?

Did the school staff notify the parents, in this case? If the parents were notified promptly, and the staff had good reason to believe that the parents were going to deal with the situation appropriately, then that might have been satisfactory from my point of view.

Nevertheless, if a criminal sexual assault against a minor is credibly suspected to have taken place, then really, someone needs to alert proper law enforcement authorities.

That's only if she didn't knew that the leadership didn't take action. If she did know then she was in on it and just as guilty as the others.
"Once leadership failed to act responsibility for reporting and protecting the child came back to the teacher."

Prerrty sure that's what I said.

Why wouldn't it be?

Why should anyone who has good reason to suspect that a criminal sexual assault against a minor has taken place, not be obligated to report this to proper law enforcement authorities? Especially if the one in possession of such knowledge happens to be someone in a profession that specifically has responsibility over minors.

Forum List

Back