Schools Closed in Virginia District After Uproar Over Arabic Calligraphy Lesson

World Geography should be taught in 7th and 8th grades. High schoolers should be learning Western History over 3 semesters, US history over 3 semesters, US Government, and Economics. High school minds need to be learning the fundamental concepts that make our society tick. They should be preparing to become informed voters, not Muslim calligraphers.

Bunch of rednecks in central virginia.

There are many skills that need to be learned, history is a great platform for teaching skills. Doesn't matter what you teach really.

Yes, students also need to learn about Human Rights, both in the US and other countries, they also need to learn why things in US govt are important.
History needs to be learned in detail.

Why?

What purpose does learning history in detail give kids to help them with their lives?
It helps them to vote. It helps them to understand what is going on in the world today. Education is not just about "marketable skills", it's the kids' greatest chance to become learned people.

Are you proud, conservative wingnuts?

Schools Closed After Uproar Over Arabic Calligraphy Lesson

A central Virginia school district has cancelled classes Friday after concerns over the "tone and content" of calls and emails received about a lesson in Arabic calligraphy.

Augusta County Public Schools, near Staunton in central Virginia, will be closed after the district received "voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area" about a high school World Geography class lesson, the district announced Thursday evening.

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy, superintendent Eric Bond told The News Leader.

"The students were presented with the statement to demonstrate the complex artistry of the written language used in the Middle East, and were asked to attempt to copy it in order to give the students an idea of the artistic complexity of the calligraphy," a statement Bond gave the paper said.
The statement was not translated into English, and students were not asked to "translate it, recite it or otherwise adopt or pronounce it as a personal belief," Bond said.

A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.

What's next? You guys (Americans) going to outlaw the Arabic numerals (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,) and start using Roman numerals? Try getting to Mars with that system. Oh yeah, I forgot, you've given up BIG IDEAS, regressing to the little ones, back to the future with the 19th century Know Nothings. Jesus, to think I used to envy you guys.

World Geography should be taught in 7th and 8th grades. High schoolers should be learning Western History over 3 semesters, US history over 3 semesters, US Government, and Economics. High school minds need to be learning the fundamental concepts that make our society tick. They should be preparing to become informed voters, not Muslim calligraphers.

Not to engage in braggadocio, but the Catholic ELEMENTARY schools I attended dealt with ALL that and more, save economics.
Then what did you do in High School?

Deeper studies, and parties. Lots and lots of parties.
Deeper studies of what? Those same topics?

Of course. One doesn't teach elementary school students about Dr. Mengele injecting blue dye into the eyes of Jewish children or Charlie hammering pencils into the ear canals of Christian children.

At least, normal people don't.
High school students don't need those kind of graphic details either. Hell, I didn't even need to learn that. But as I said, the topics I mentioned are an appropriate high school curriculum, your bragging aside.

I've got no problem with teaching kids history or Muslim/Arab culture, if for no other reason than to show them the world. But if we're going to teach kids Arabic calligraphy, there are any number of examples they could have used that didn't involve any religious writings. I mean, in this day and age of hyper-sensitivity over anything Muslim, the people doing this just had to know it was going to backfire spectacularly.

Either it was intentional or the people who came up with this lesson plan were unbelievably stupid.

Does it matter if it's religious or not? I doubt anyone can read it anyway.

It matters because some people take religion seriously. Any thinking adult can see where that would go.

Imagine an art class being taught how to properly draw one of these:

But, of course, with no explanation of how it might have been used in the last century.

Now WHO could possibly be upset by that?
I bet you loved posting your favorite insignia. Any excuse to Heil Hitler, eh troll?

The only problem with your assertion of course is that it is a symbol used by almost every aboriginal and pagan culture ever found. It dates back at least 12,000 years.
12,00 years of non controversial use was wiped away by 12 years of one asshole's dictatorship.

Not really. Only PC morons who don't understand, or value, history allow themselves to associate that symbol with Hitler. India is filled with the symbol.

I believe the Australian Aboriginals also have that symbol in their repertoire. Their vocal histories go back 40,000 years.
Who the fuck cares? If the sight of it doesn't make you feel at least a little bit sick and you're a westerner then there's something wrong with you IMO.

Regardlrss, it has nothing to do with Arabic calligraphy.

I've got no problem with teaching kids history or Muslim/Arab culture, if for no other reason than to show them the world. But if we're going to teach kids Arabic calligraphy, there are any number of examples they could have used that didn't involve any religious writings. I mean, in this day and age of hyper-sensitivity over anything Muslim, the people doing this just had to know it was going to backfire spectacularly.

Either it was intentional or the people who came up with this lesson plan were unbelievably stupid.

Does it matter if it's religious or not? I doubt anyone can read it anyway.
Didn't you know that one high school kid in Staunton VA knows Arabic? Poor guy. They were indoctrinating him to bow to Allah!

Imagine an art class being taught how to properly draw one of these:
But, of course, with no explanation of how it might have been used in the last century.

Now WHO could possibly be upset by that?​

I have no problem with teachers, whether in art or history or drafting/ metal shop/ etc, teaching children how to imitate various calligraphy techniques, whether in Arabic, Chinese, Western, ancient Egyptian, etc...

Here are a few beautiful designs used with Arabic calligraphy...

lord_s_prayer_arabic_calligraphy_by_marahuta-d6zjlei.jpg

8bdb949e2d2a21fe30144cff086559e3.jpg

8223ec665eeeb6dea6bbba30a4c57dcc.jpg

I also have no problem with them being taught how to use mathematics to create swastikas, pentagrams, hexagrams, heptagrams, dodecagrams, and more complex religious symbols and sigils to perfection. Swastikas are easy but some of the others can require quite a bit more mathematical precision.

metatrons-cube5.png

sigillum_dei_aemeth_by_bloodeagle13.jpg

tumblr_mw6g2uCYUw1rqcdh9o1_500.jpg

There are many skills that need to be learned, history is a great platform for teaching skills. Doesn't matter what you teach really.

Yes, students also need to learn about Human Rights, both in the US and other countries, they also need to learn why things in US govt are important.

Why?

What purpose does learning history in detail give kids to help them with their lives?
It helps them to vote. It helps them to understand what is going on in the world today. Education is not just about "marketable skills", it's the kids' greatest chance to become learned people.

Well that depends on how it's taught. Helping them understand to vote by learning in detail? Wouldn't it be more effective to have a class that actually deals with voting and the issues around voting?

I didn't say education was just about "marketable skills", however if it takes you a long time to teach something you could do more quickly and better, is it worth it?

Why?

Well that depends on how it's taught. Helping them understand to vote by learning in detail? Wouldn't it be more effective to have a class that actually deals with voting and the issues around voting?

I didn't say education was just about "marketable skills", however if it takes you a long time to teach something you could do more quickly and better, is it worth it?
Nope. Teaching them about voting doesn't help them decide how to vote. Learning history does. You can vote many ways after learning history, but if you know your history well, you know precisely why you're voting how you're voting.

Of all the topics in school, history is the last one that should be glossed over "more quickly" to get to other stuff. Every high school student should take at least 6 solid semester courses that are purely history.

Why?

Nope. Teaching them about voting doesn't help them decide how to vote. Learning history does. You can vote many ways after learning history, but if you know your history well, you know precisely why you're voting how you're voting.

Of all the topics in school, history is the last one that should be glossed over "more quickly" to get to other stuff. Every high school student should take at least 6 solid semester courses that are purely history.

Again, depends how you do it. I didn't mean "tick the box with rep or dem next to it" as teaching them about voting, I meant talking to the kids and making them do activities related to actually using their brains to make the right choice for themselves.

Learning history doesn't teach people to vote better. I'm sure Republicans and Democrats did history and school, and it didn't help them, did it?

I think you are taking a way to simplistic view. I'm not saying history isn't important in helping kids to understand, but if it's taught badly, they won't learn anything.

I've seen history being taught well, and it did this by presenting evidence and having the kids try and make sense of it, saying what they thought it meant and so on. This is teaching them to think, it's teaching them to understand what they're looking at. You only need look at the majority of posters on this board to see most of them don't have that skill.

If you study WW2 and you think Hitler was pretty cool, the uniforms and planes were great, then what will you pick up from history? You'd become a Trump supporter.

As for students taking history. I disagree. Many kids simply aren't interested in history, forcing them to gain skills through history rather than something else which will motivate them is total folly.

A central Virginia school district has cancelled classes Friday after concerns over the "tone and content" of calls and emails received about a lesson in Arabic calligraphy.

Augusta County Public Schools, near Staunton in central Virginia, will be closed after the district received "voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area" about a high school World Geography class lesson, the district announced Thursday evening.

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy, superintendent Eric Bond told The News Leader.

"The students were presented with the statement to demonstrate the complex artistry of the written language used in the Middle East, and were asked to attempt to copy it in order to give the students an idea of the artistic complexity of the calligraphy," a statement Bond gave the paper said.
The statement was not translated into English, and students were not asked to "translate it, recite it or otherwise adopt or pronounce it as a personal belief," Bond said.

A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.

That is an Islamic statement of faith, which is clearly a violation of church/mosque and state. It doesn't matter if kids weren't asked to "translate it, recite it, or otherwise pronounce it as a personal belief."

Where is your outrage now you hypocrite? What if those kids were told to practice writing Bible verses in Hebrew?

Last edited:

Christians only want their story told.

If you start telling other stories it undermines your story.

When Christianity is spoken of in school you call it unconstitutional. You sue, you attack. You don't want our story told. You wish to have it purged from public discussion, from the curriculum.

But when Islam is spoken of, or even used in this manner or as part of the curriculum it's okay. Imagine that.

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy
, superintendent Eric Bond told The News Leader.

leftist hypocrisy has not limit, none.

Just trying to imagine the outcry from leftist filth if the kids were given a commandment written in latin .

then reread this ***** op

Try to fathom how hard it is to be this hateful, this hypocritical and not explode.

the more muslims attack and murder us, they more they force themselves upon us, the more the left helps them.

how can leftist be ok with this lesson right after the mass shooting?

b/c they just don't care

There's a difference between teaching religions and practicing religions. Some people know the difference.

Doesn't matter. The mere presence of religion is a taboo in school if it pertains to Christianity. But the Islamic statement of faith is perfectly fine. Tell me how that reasoning works out.

'A parent organized a forum Tuesday night about the lesson, calling it "indoctrination" in Islam, The News Leader reported.'

More ignorance, hate, and stupidity.

We can only hope such individuals constitute but a very small minority.
You can thank Islam for this overreaction. Like blacks demanding the resignation of a DC employee for using the word niggardly.

That was ONE guy, not "blacks". And after he did resign, once the mayor looked into it he hired him back.
It was blacks who took offense and didn't come to his defense out of their conditioned hate and ignorance. The idiot who innocently used the term even offered to resign. White privilege before it was called white privilege.

Why?

Again, depends how you do it. I didn't mean "tick the box with rep or dem next to it" as teaching them about voting, I meant talking to the kids and making them do activities related to actually using their brains to make the right choice for themselves.

Learning history doesn't teach people to vote better. I'm sure Republicans and Democrats did history and school, and it didn't help them, did it?

I think you are taking a way to simplistic view. I'm not saying history isn't important in helping kids to understand, but if it's taught badly, they won't learn anything.

I've seen history being taught well, and it did this by presenting evidence and having the kids try and make sense of it, saying what they thought it meant and so on. This is teaching them to think, it's teaching them to understand what they're looking at. You only need look at the majority of posters on this board to see most of them don't have that skill.

If you study WW2 and you think Hitler was pretty cool, the uniforms and planes were great, then what will you pick up from history? You'd become a Trump supporter.

As for students taking history. I disagree. Many kids simply aren't interested in history, forcing them to gain skills through history rather than something else which will motivate them is total folly.
How can any fool say kids aren't interested in history? Of course they're interested in history. Everyone is interested in history. It is the story of mankind, of everything that has been. Maybe some teachers make it boring, but that's because they suck at teaching.

History is by far the most important subject in school because it tells us about every mistake that's been made, and it tells is what to watch out for. It tells about what was done well also. I agree, the kids should be presented evidence and given chances to explain what the evidence says. In addition to a main text, history should make heavy use of primary sources.

Again you're onto that marketable skills kick. Practically every other course is heavy on the marketable skills: english, math, science, foreign language.

The focus of history must be history, not marketable skills.

And a minimum of 6 semester courses should be spent on history.

It is the most important subject kids can learn in high school bar none.

Last edited:

In a lesson Friday on the Middle East, students were presented with an Islamic statement of faith written in Arabic calligraphy

Just trying to imagine the outcry from leftist filth if the kids were given a commandment written in latin .

Try to fathom how hard it is to be this hateful, this hypocritical and not explode.

the more muslims attack and murder us, they more they force themselves upon us, the more the left helps them.

b/c they just don't care

So you're unfamiliar with plurals AND the shift key?

Did you ever go to school?
can't handle the truth or the facts?

did you ever grow up?

b/c they just don't care

There's a difference between teaching religions and practicing religions. Some people know the difference.
yea, I do, filth like you would go fucking nuts at the mere mention of jesus or david in public school

AND YOU FUCKING KNOW IT

b/c they just don't care

Doesn't matter. The mere presence of religion is a taboo in school if it pertains to Christianity. But the Islamic statement of faith is perfectly fine. Tell me how that reasoning works out.
False. Christian references are all over America's schools.

Forum List

Back