Science Fiction ~ Books, TV, Movie & General Comment~Content

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
Partly a place to review the books, TV shows and films dealing with Science Fiction. Also a place do comment on the writers of such, and maybe film producers and directors.

1 Behind The Scenes Detail Makes Alien’s Robot Twist So Much Scarier​

A behind-the-scenes detail in Ridley Scott's Alien makes the twist that the ship's science officer, Ash (Ian Holm), is secretly an android much scarier. Set on the space freighter Nostromo, Alien follows the ship's crew as they investigate a distress signal of unknown origin. Onboard the alien spacecraft they discover, executive officer Kane (John Hurt) is attacked by a Facehugger. Warrant officer Ripley attempts to stop Kane from returning to the ship, but her efforts are in vain as Ash lets him back aboard. This sets the rest of the film's events in motion as a Xenomorph bursts from Kane's chest and begins killing the crew.

Mass misconception: The real reason we can’t outpace light speed​

Explanations for the cosmic speed limit often conflate mass with inertia.
Further down this link;
Why Earth is the only planet with plate tectonics
Mercury, Venus, and Mars are all uni-plate planets, and always have been. Here are the reasons why Earth, uniquely, has plate tectonics.

I don't have links, and I do not wish to mess up the thread, but my favorite science fiction book is Ender's Game. The movie had no chance to do it justice. I do more fantasy with Ann Rice and I grew up on the Wheel of Time novels. Ann Rice did offer a grim look at immortality. As for hard science fiction, I don't know. I never did the hacker stuff. Spock is my favorite character, and my number two is Laslow Hollyfeld from Real Genius.

Last edited:
I'm fond of nanites run amok. I'm not sure if it was Michael Crichton, but I read a book where something was eating away all products made from petroleum. Society was literally falling apart. Also interested in medical fiction. I'm really tired of AI movies, and military experiments gone wrong.

I don't have links, and I do not wish to mess up the thread, but my favorite science fiction book is Ender's Game. The movie had no chance to do it justice. I do more fantasy with Ann Rice and I grew up on the Wheel of Time novels. Ann Rice did offer a grim look at immortality. As for hard science fiction, I don't know. I never did the hacker stuff. Spock is my favorite character, and my number two is Laslow Hollyfeld from Real Genius.
Very true. The whole Ender series is a collection of masterpieces.
Ender's Shadow, if you have not read it, is a must for Ender fans. it is a "twin" book of Enders Game, but seen through the eyes of Bean.

The Ender movie was OK, it wasn't a bad movie, but it was never going to rise to the power of the book.
I wish HBO or Netflix would make a limited series of Enders Game, and do it well. That is the only way the book could be captured. 7 or 8 hour long episodes.

If there are any readers on the forum I have 2 books to recommend I've recently read. They go together. The first one is A Memory Called Empire. The sequel is A Desolation Called Peace. Both are phenomenal if you're into sci-fi.

Another sci-fi/horror book I'd recommend is 'Dead Silence.' It's labeled as Titanic meets Event Horizon. Basically a salvage crew in space come across a lost luxury passenger ship where everyone on board is dead. Was a fun read. Enjoyed it a lot.

I'm fond of nanites run amok. I'm not sure if it was Michael Crichton, but I read a book where something was eating away all products made from petroleum. Society was literally falling apart. Also interested in medical fiction. I'm really tired of AI movies, and military experiments gone wrong.
Just about everything now is made from petroleum; clothes, furniture, vehicles, housing, roads, tools, etc.

This Harrowing Sci-Fi Classic Was Even More Brutal Behind the Scenes​

Surviving as one of the most celebrated and analyzed films in Hollywood, Fritz Lang's 1927 sci-fi classic Metropolis continues to offer film nerds and silent movie lovers alike much food for thought. The visuals and plot devices that the film introduced were, at the time, groundbreaking, and are often credited as having largely shaped the following film culture we know today. Despite how celebrated Metropolis is today and the film's reputation, it turns out that making the film was a brutal and complicated process, one that precedes the film's own storyline. Accounts from actors and members of the crew, alongside articles written at the time, all point towards the trials and tribulations that went on behind the screen, and identify Lang as a source of significant cruelty and psychological pressure. Further, technological difficulties and restrictions made the production a nightmare, with shoots and sequences that would, in today's world, normally take a few days having required months' worth of painstaking work. So, with all the insider gossip, here's why Metropolis was more harrowing behind the camera than in front of it.

Partly a place to review the books, TV shows and films dealing with Science Fiction. Also a place do comment on the writers of such, and maybe film producers and directors.

Best scifi books I've come across, the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey (two people), though the ending isn't too hot. The writing, however, is very good.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is very good, some of his other work is very, VERY wordy, but this one seems to flow enough to be a good book.

Jack McDevitt's books are very good too, he explores some things, he has one character who works for a guy who finds and sells historical artifacts in space. Sometimes the novels all end up being a bit samey, but reading a few is very good.

Last edited:
Not "exactly" sci-fi, but sci-fi is a foundation and woven through it. One my wife's and I favorite TV series (which we usually watch on DVD from library);

A Decade Of Laughter: Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Big Bang Theory​

Love the Big Bang Theory. I hung out with engineers in college, and the tv show was pretty accurate. I just watched Galaxy Quest again, and I love how they make fun of Star Trek while honoring it at the same time.

Not "exactly" sci-fi, but sci-fi is a foundation and woven through it. One my wife's and I favorite TV series (which we usually watch on DVD from library);

A Decade Of Laughter: Behind-The-Scenes Facts About The Big Bang Theory​

'The Big Bang Theory' Ending Explained: Where Did the Nerdy Friends End Up?​

Forum List

Back