Scientific Method, 2016

I don't think so. What makes you think I've suggested that it's wrong?

That depends, are you in the "heat can spontaneously move from cool to warm" camp?

We're talking about radiation, not heat.

If a hot object radiates 3 photons toward a cooler object and the cooler object radiates 2 photons toward the warmer object, do you think any laws of physics were violated?
Who cares again what happens when the photons move? do they collide, or do they hit the other object? You still haven't stated what happens to those cold photons. See, the warm photons will heat the cold object. What does that cold photon do? Heat the warm object? I mean that is the theory in warmersville.

Or perhaps they just miss the object. Ha

Last edited:
So the Second Law is wrong?
Not a bit. Just you and the other fruitloops that never have bothered to actually study basic science.Your willful ignorance is massive.

So you're saying the Second Law is not absolute but deals with averages

What would an absolute Second Law look like? Smart photons only emitting toward cooler matter?

Why it's not a law at all according to you and Old Socks. Heat radiates in every direction, what the fuck was Newton babbling about anyway?

energy radiates in every direction. heat only flows from warm to cool. how many times, in how many ways, do you guys need to be told the same thing over and over again?

radiation of a photon is the smallest unit of energy transfer. it cannot be divided up into smaller mechanisms. a photon once emitted from a particle of matter continues on its straight but random direction until it interacts with another particle of matter. the photon remains the same from the moment of its creation until it ceases to exist. nothing affects it. (with the exception of gravity or expansion of space, not an issue under normal conditions)
Isn't heat what the energy converts to? What would be the purpose of radiation if it wasn't to warm something? I mean explain why radiation from cold doesn't warm the warm objects? Or are you saying it does? Why then that would be heat and a violation of the law. Dude, I thought you weren't a warmer, there is no other option if cold warms the surface. And don't tell me it slows the surface cause then that would be magic cause how would the surface know they were there. I mean isn't that smart photons then. Hahahaha you contradict with your thinking. Just saying

Last edited:

That depends, are you in the "heat can spontaneously move from cool to warm" camp?

If a hot object radiates 3 photons toward a cooler object and the cooler object radiates 2 photons toward the warmer object, do you think any laws of physics were violated?
Who cares again what happens when the photons move? do they collide, or do they hit the other object? You still haven't stated what happens to those cold photons. See, the warm photons will heat the cold object. What does that cold photon do? Heat the warm object? I mean that is the theory in warmersville.

Who cares again what happens when the photons move?

Scientists and others who wish to have an intelligent conversation.

do they collide

No.

or do they hit the other object?

Yes.

You still haven't stated what happens to those cold photons

Any photon absorbed by matter adds energy.
So a "cold photon" that hits warmer matter adds energy, just as it would if it hit colder matter.

I mean that is the theory in warmersville.

Basic physics is not only for those who believe in AGW.
Your idiocy hurts the cause of those resisting AGW idiocy.

Yes, SSDD's smart photon idiocy is funny.

do they collide

No.

Yes.

So a "cold photon" that hits warmer matter adds energy, just as it would if it hit colder matter.

IMO yours does. BTW, what happens to the warm object when it receives the cold photons does it increase its heat? What else would it do with it?

Have you every observed that?

do they collide

No.

Yes.

IMO yours does. BTW, what happens to the warm object when it receives the cold photons does it increase its heat? What else would it do with it?

BTW, what happens to the warm object when it receives the cold photons does it increase its heat?

Yes. Absolutely.

All the time.

do they collide

No.

Yes.

BTW, what happens to the warm object when it receives the cold photons does it increase its heat?

Yes. Absolutely.

All the time.

Colder makes it warmer?

Seriously?

do they collide

No.

Yes.

Yes. Absolutely.

All the time.

Colder makes it warmer?

Seriously?

Colder makes it warmer?

Nope. Radiation makes whatever it hits warmer.
Because photons aren't smart, they're emitted in every direction, even toward stuff that's warmer.

Seriously.

So you're saying that some of the bowling ball floats upward but the net movement follows the law of gravity????

No, I'm talking about photons.
They don't have tiny thermometers.
They don't measure the temperature of the entire Universe before they're emitted.
Matter above 0K manages to emit in all directions, all the time, without violating any laws of physics.
Without heat spontaneously moving from cool to warm.
Because hotter emits more/faster than cooler.
No smart photons needed.

Not a bit. Just you and the other fruitloops that never have bothered to actually study basic science.Your willful ignorance is massive.

What would an absolute Second Law look like? Smart photons only emitting toward cooler matter?

Same reason why don't bowling balls don't float into space when released at the local alley, they're following a law

No, I'm talking about photons.
They don't have tiny thermometers.
They don't measure the temperature of the entire Universe before they're emitted.
Matter above 0K manages to emit in all directions, all the time, without violating any laws of physics.
Without heat spontaneously moving from cool to warm.
Because hotter emits more/faster than cooler.
No smart photons needed.

Same reason why don't bowling balls don't float into space when released at the local alley, they're following a law

Floating into space wouldn't be following a law.

do they collide

No.

Yes.

Yes. Absolutely.

All the time.

Colder makes it warmer?

Seriously?

Colder makes it warmer?

Because photons aren't smart, they're emitted in every direction, even toward stuff that's warmer.

Seriously.

So an ice cube made of photons will make a gin and tonic ... warmer?

do they collide

No.

Yes.

Yes. Absolutely.

All the time.

Colder makes it warmer?

Seriously?

Colder makes it warmer?

Seriously.

So an ice cube made of photons will make a gin and tonic ... warmer?

Nope.

Why it's not a law at all according to you and Old Socks. Heat radiates in every direction, what the fuck was Newton babbling about anyway?

energy radiates in every direction. heat only flows from warm to cool. how many times, in how many ways, do you guys need to be told the same thing over and over again?

radiation of a photon is the smallest unit of energy transfer. it cannot be divided up into smaller mechanisms. a photon once emitted from a particle of matter continues on its straight but random direction until it interacts with another particle of matter. the photon remains the same from the moment of its creation until it ceases to exist. nothing affects it. (with the exception of gravity or expansion of space, not an issue under normal conditions)
Isn't heat what the energy converts to? What would be the purpose of radiation if it wasn't to warm something? I mean explain why radiation from cold doesn't warm the warm objects? Or are you saying it does? Why then that would be heat and a violation of the law. Dude, I thought you weren't a warmer, there is no other option if cold warms the surface. And don't tell me it slows the surface cause then that would be magic cause how would the surface know they were there. I mean isn't that smart photons then. Hahahaha you contradict with your thinking. Just saying

every object in the universe is trying to get rid of its energy. while there are several ways to do this, we are specifically discussing radiation. every object radiates! if two objects are in proximity then they radiate towards each other. if they are at the same temperature then the amount radiated equals the amount absorbed, therefore there is no net change in temp. the radiation is still going on but it is balanced out. can you understand that simple idea? for any measurable length of time the radiation going in either direction is exactly the same to a very high degree. does the radiation from one object warm the other? no.

if the two objects are at different temperatures then they both radiate towards each other but the warmer on radiates more, and at a slightly more energetic average wavelength than the cooler object. this preponderance of energy flowing from warm to cold will increase the temperature of the cool object and decrease the temperature of the warm object, until they are both at the same temperature. did the radiation from the cooler object 'heat' the warm object? no. but the radiation was still there.

individual emissions/absorptions of photons are the mechanism of energy transfer. if an object radiating away more photons than it is receiving then it will cool. you can calculate how much is going in either direction but only the net amount will change the temperature. 'heat' is a description of net energy transfer. if there is no net difference then no warming or cooling will take place, but the gross amount of radiation being produced by the individual objects will still be there.

I really hope you try to understand this very simple concept

every object in the universe is trying to get rid of its energy. while there are several ways to do this, we are specifically discussing radiation. every object radiates! if two objects are in proximity then they radiate towards each other. if they are at the same temperature then the amount radiated equals the amount absorbed, therefore there is no net change in temp. the radiation is still going on but it is balanced out. can you understand that simple idea? for any measurable length of time the radiation going in either direction is exactly the same to a very high degree. does the radiation from one object warm the other? no.

if the two objects are at different temperatures then they both radiate towards each other but the warmer on radiates more, and at a slightly more energetic average wavelength than the cooler object. this preponderance of energy flowing from warm to cold will increase the temperature of the cool object and decrease the temperature of the warm object, until they are both at the same temperature. did the radiation from the cooler object 'heat' the warm object? no. but the radiation was still there.

individual emissions/absorptions of photons are the mechanism of energy transfer. if an object radiating away more photons than it is receiving then it will cool. you can calculate how much is going in either direction but only the net amount will change the temperature. 'heat' is a description of net energy transfer. if there is no net difference then no warming or cooling will take place, but the gross amount of radiation being produced by the individual objects will still be there.

The more I look at it the less I believe that any of it is "simple"

How hard are black holes really trying to get rid of their energy

Last edited:

That's an interesting question!
What's their temperature?

I'll go with "Really Hot" for $800, Alex

Normally you measure temperature by examining the photons coming off an object.
The higher energy and the larger number of photons, the hotter the object.
Since photons can't escape a black hole, I'm more in the really, really cold camp.

Hawking did theorize that tiny black holes can evaporate. Interesting stuff.

Since photons can't escape a black hole, I'm more in the really, really cold camp.

Interesting.

Interesting.

A black hole of one solar mass (M☉) has a temperature of only 60 nanokelvin (60 billionths of a kelvin); in fact, such a black hole would absorb far more cosmic microwave background radiation than it emits. A black hole of 4.5 × 1022 kg (about the mass of the Moon, or about 13 micrometers across) would be in equilibrium at 2.7 kelvin, absorbing as much radiation as it emits. Yet smaller primordial black holes would emit more than they absorb and thereby lose mass.[10]

Hawking radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Absolutely. The Second Law does not hold at the level of individual molecules. It only describes the behavior of macroscopic systems, where the averaged behavior of gazillions of molecules and photons leads to the overall result of heat flowing from warm to cold.

Everyone who gets a B.S. in physics will study how that works in a Statistical Mechanics course. The field of Statistical Mechanics has been around for 140 years, starting with Boltzmann's work. In all that time, nobody has found a problem with it. If you have, write it up, submit it formally, and collect your Nobel Prize.

Usually, people with a BS in physics understand the planet is a sphere, not FLAT...

but Mamooooo is so full of BS in reality, she never got past the FLAT EARTH course...

Forum List

Back