Scientific Method, 2016

Gravity doesn’t compress air??

JC did you hack Cricks account to make him sound ridiculous

In the Earth's atmosphere, Frank, what is the difference between the total mass of all air descending to lower levels with greater pressure and density - and the total mass of all air ascending to higher levels with lower pressure and density?

The DIFFERENCE Frank. I'm fully aware that air moves up and down in the atmosphere. You seem, though, to be unable to take a step back and see that atmosphere as a whole is neither expanding away from the Earth's surface nor squishing down towards it. There is NO NET vertical motion of the atmosphere as a whole.

Work done by air masses rising and sinking come in opposite signs and negate each other. The net total of work done by gravity on the atmosphere, therefore, is ZERO.

I'm betting you fall into that intellectual gray area where you're smart enough to see that what I'm saying is correct but too stupid to see the value in admitting it.

Last edited:
Interesting how many of you guys think that objects must be smart in order to obey the laws of nature....energy doesn't move spontaneously from cool to warm...we can't explain why that is or the fundamental mechanism that makes it happen, but it happens none the less and every observation and measurement ever made bears this out...that is why the wording of the physical law doesn't mention net...energy movement is a one way gross transaction.
My gosh. You are the one thinking photons are smart and can avoid objects hotter than the ones they came from.

When it comes to thermal energy in radiation physics, the word energy always means net energy. Every physicist understands that, but of course you don't believe in quantum mechanics, so you can believe what you want.

Can you show us lab work demonstrating heat moving from cooler to warmer?

Thanks a bunch

Radiation moves from cooler to warmer all the time.
Because photons don't use thermometers to decide what direction to travel.

So newton's second law is just wrong?

I don't think so. What makes you think I've suggested that it's wrong?

Interesting how many of you guys think that objects must be smart in order to obey the laws of nature....energy doesn't move spontaneously from cool to warm...we can't explain why that is or the fundamental mechanism that makes it happen, but it happens none the less and every observation and measurement ever made bears this out...that is why the wording of the physical law doesn't mention net...energy movement is a one way gross transaction.
My gosh. You are the one thinking photons are smart and can avoid objects hotter than the ones they came from.

When it comes to thermal energy in radiation physics, the word energy always means net energy. Every physicist understands that, but of course you don't believe in quantum mechanics, so you can believe what you want.

Thanks a bunch

It's the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
And SSDD's moronic misunderstanding of it is wrong.

Thanks a bunch

So your answer is no! Thanks, didn't think so

Thanks a bunch

No, but SSDD's moronic misunderstanding of it is wrong.

Because you say so, right? I mean how many times have you been in a bowling alley and have witnessed bowling balls defy the law of gravity and float upward into space after being released? Are they showing signs of intelligence by following the laws of gravity?

Thanks a bunch

No, but SSDD's moronic misunderstanding of it is wrong.

Because you say so, right? I mean how many times have you been in a bowling alley and have witnessed bowling balls defy the law of gravity and float upward into space after being released? Are they showing signs of intelligence by following the laws of gravity?

Because you say so, right?

Because scientists have known for a long time that matter above 0K radiates, even if nearby matter is warmer.

I mean how many times have you been in a bowling alley and have witnessed bowling balls defy the law of gravity and float upward into space after being released?

Matter obeying the "law of gravity" has what to do with SSDD's idiocy? Can you be specific?

That depends, are you in the "heat can spontaneously move from cool to warm" camp?

We're talking about radiation, not heat.

If a hot object radiates 3 photons toward a cooler object and the cooler object radiates 2 photons toward the warmer object, do you think any laws of physics were violated?

That depends, are you in the "heat can spontaneously move from cool to warm" camp?

If a hot object radiates 3 photons toward a cooler object and the cooler object radiates 2 photons toward the warmer object, do you think any laws of physics were violated?

So you're saying that some of the bowling ball floats upward but the net movement follows the law of gravity????

So you're saying that some of the bowling ball floats upward but the net movement follows the law of gravity????

No, I'm talking about photons.
They don't have tiny thermometers.
They don't measure the temperature of the entire Universe before they're emitted.
Matter above 0K manages to emit in all directions, all the time, without violating any laws of physics.
Without heat spontaneously moving from cool to warm.
Because hotter emits more/faster than cooler.
No smart photons needed.

They don't measure the temperature of the entire Universe before they're emitted.
Matter above 0K manages to emit in all directions, all the time, without violating any laws of physics.
No smart photons needed.

So the Second Law is wrong?

No smart photons needed.

Nope. Not even a little.

No smart photons needed.

Not a bit. Just you and the other fruitloops that never have bothered to actually study basic science.Your willful ignorance is massive.

No smart photons needed.

Not a bit. Just you and the other fruitloops that never have bothered to actually study basic science.Your willful ignorance is massive.

So you're saying the Second Law is not absolute but deals with averages

No smart photons needed.

What would an absolute Second Law look like? Smart photons only emitting toward cooler matter?

No smart photons needed.

What would an absolute Second Law look like? Smart photons only emitting toward cooler matter?

Why it's not a law at all according to you and Old Socks. Heat radiates in every direction, what the fuck was Newton babbling about anyway?

No smart photons needed.

Why it's not a law at all according to you and Old Socks. Heat radiates in every direction, what the fuck was Newton babbling about anyway?

Heat radiates in every direction

It's true!

what the fuck was Newton babbling about anyway?

Newton talked about photons? You must be confused.

No smart photons needed.

actually Frank, it is SSDD's version that goes against the SLoT. as well as the first Law, conservation of energy.

you cannot have objects mysteriously failing to radiate because of unknown processes which depend on special knowledge of the local conditions of the universe. energy that should have been radiated a la S-B has disappeared, and entropy has decreased from what it should have been. two big no-no's in physics.

No smart photons needed.

energy radiates in every direction. heat only flows from warm to cool. how many times, in how many ways, do you guys need to be told the same thing over and over again?

radiation of a photon is the smallest unit of energy transfer. it cannot be divided up into smaller mechanisms. a photon once emitted from a particle of matter continues on its straight but random direction until it interacts with another particle of matter. the photon remains the same from the moment of its creation until it ceases to exist. nothing affects it. (with the exception of gravity or expansion of space, not an issue under normal conditions)

Forum List

Back