Seattle Set To Change Name Of Columbus Day

Actually, today is Columbus Day
It's the day in 1977 when OU traveled to Columbus, OH and beat Woody Hayes' Ohio St Buckeyes 29-28 on a last second FG after recovering an onside kick. Game of the century.
And Woody was nice enough to slap a Sooner player when he approached him for the end of game hand shake..
Uwe von Schamann was the kicker that won the game.. I love the Sooners...I even attended OU...in 1983-84 bfore I went into the Regular Army, I was in the Nasty Guard in Norman at the time...Lived there also..the first city to decriminalize maryjane..
It was an equipment manager. I just watched the replay. We didn't get to see that game out here in DC because both the Washington and Baltimore affiliates showed Maryland get crushed by Penn St. It was 24 years before I got to see that game.
Best Defense Ever Columbus Day--September 24 1977

Dear god save us from these people ! Liberals are insane !

Seattle, the town where there are dog restaurants, and there are more dogs than kids. This is the best thing about white liberals, they have no kids.

"Seattle set to change name of Columbus Day holiday"

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Seattle, named after a Native American tribal chief, is poised to become the next major U.S city after Minneapolis to officially change the name of a federal holiday that celebrates Christopher Columbus' 15th century arrival in the Americas.

The Seattle City Council on Wednesday set an Oct. 6 vote to redesignate the second Monday of October as "Indigenous Peoples' Day." The measure has broad approval in the nine-member council and is expected to pass.

The name change would acknowledge that Native Americans were already living in the Americas before the Italian explorer's arrival, according to the Seattle Human Rights Commission.

"The celebration of Christopher Columbus and his alleged 1492 discovery of the lands that would later become known as the Americas works to celebrate an era of colonization and dispossession of indigenous peoples' homelands," it said.

Supporters, including Native American groups and Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, a Democrat, said the move will better represent the history of the United States and foundation of the city.

Those opposed to the change say the city was being too politically correct and argued that the day honors the history of Italian-Americans in the United States.

"For most Italian-Americans, Columbus Day is a symbol of pride in our heritage," Audrey Manzanares told local news station Q13.

Should the measure pass, Seattle would become the second major city after Minneapolis to officially change the state name of Columbus Day, which became a U.S. federal holiday in 1937.

Several states, including Alaska, Hawaii and Oregon, do not recognize the federal holiday. The California city of Berkeley stopped recognizing the day in 1992.

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Mohammad Zargham)

Seattle set to change name of Columbus Day holiday - Yahoo News

Here's the truth.

Top 5 Misconceptions About Columbus Christopher Columbus Intrepid Explorers Columbus Day Flat-Earth Myth Who Discovered the Americas

I'd like to see Italian day to celebrate Italians that made a difference in America.

Italians are not a protected class, so its open season to piss them off.

What the fuck does Columbus Day have to do with "Italians"?

I did learn history. That is why I know that Italy did not exist when Columbus was alive. He was born in Genoa.

Non-conservative history. Learn it.

Which became part of Italy. Poland wasn't a whole country for centuries of its history, so does that mean heroes from those periods cannot be revered by the Poles?

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride.

-- so whose fault is that? Even Columbus didn't pretend to be working for Italy (which didn't exist at the time anyway). The place of one's birth is beyond one's control.

Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

Agreed. And Spanish, which is who he worked for. :thup:

You progressives are all about perception. The Columbus Day parade in NYC is a tribute Italian Americans. Demonizing Columbus and taking away his holiday is shitting on us.

Again, since we are not a protected class, you don't have an issue with that.

White males are the most protected class.

LOL, protected by who?

So.. Columbus did not discover anything, there were already people living in the places he claimed for Spain..

Yes, but it's always been a day that we recognize when the technological world discovered this hemisphere.
It's not so much the accuracy, but just a general recognition.

Now of course I realize that today, it's a day that natives and white liberals curse, and it's been that way for quite some time. The rest of it however, see something like this as another attack on our traditions.

And because we've always accepted the lies, we should continue to accept the lies.

That's RWs for you.
Typical LW response.

I have always thought that the Columbus worship would have made more sense, if he figured out before he died that he had discovered a new world. However, in spite of having taken 4 voyages to the west, only to find stone age indigenous people, he still refused to acknowledge that he had not found the path to the riches of the orient. Frankly, I don't think that he was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride.

-- so whose fault is that? Even Columbus didn't pretend to be working for Italy (which didn't exist at the time anyway). The place of one's birth is beyond one's control.

Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

Agreed. And Spanish, which is who he worked for. :thup:

You progressives are all about perception. The Columbus Day parade in NYC is a tribute Italian Americans. Demonizing Columbus and taking away his holiday is shitting on us.

Again, since we are not a protected class, you don't have an issue with that.

White males are the most protected class.

Not any more sweetie.

Forum List

Back