Seattle Set To Change Name Of Columbus Day

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride.

Your source, please, and it had better be a good one.

Columbus Day Parade nycgo.com

Columbus Day Parade - Columbus Citizens Foundation Preserving Heritage Creating Opportunities.

On October 14, 2013, Fifth Avenue was transformed during the Columbus Day Parade, the world’s largest celebration of Italian-American culture. The parade was led by Grand Marshal Joseph R. Perella, proud philanthropist, and Founding Partner, Chairman and CEO of Perella Weinberg Partners.

Italians are not a protected class, so its open season to piss them off.

What the fuck does Columbus Day have to do with "Italians"?

Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo; Spanish: Cristóbal Colón;Portuguese: Cristóvão Colombo; born between 31 October 1450 and 30 October 1451, died 20 May 1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, and colonizer, born in the Republic of Genoa (today part of Italy). Under the auspices of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, he completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Those voyages, and his efforts to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the Spanish colonization of theNew World.

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

Columbus day has been adopted by the Italian American community as a holiday to express Italian American pride.

-- so whose fault is that? Even Columbus didn't pretend to be working for Italy (which didn't exist at the time anyway). The place of one's birth is beyond one's control.

Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

Agreed. And Spanish, which is who he worked for. :thup:

You progressives are all about perception. The Columbus Day parade in NYC is a tribute Italian Americans. Demonizing Columbus and taking away his holiday is shitting on us.

Again, since we are not a protected class, you don't have an issue with that.

So the swapped an explorer to give credit to some retarded savage! Sounds like great liberal thinking. Makes me want to take Polio blankets to Seattle.

Would liberals celebrate Neanderthal Day because humans killed and ate all of them to extinction?

How many Seattle residents will celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day every year, I wonder. Six?

The American Indian took the land from a previous group as well
If I'm not mistaken, "indigenous" people in America - Paleo-Americans - emigrated from Asia during an ice age some 12,000 years ago. Migration and colonization are natural human inclinations, no matter the race.

But a bigger question about Indigenous Peoples' Day is the cause for celebration of these peoples. What distinguishes them?

I was in Puerto Rico in October of 1992, the 500th anniversary of Columbus in the Caribbean. There was a big festival in San Juan. I was driving 'home' listening to the NPR feed as a young Puerto Rican woman was being interviewed. She slammed Columbus for his treatment of the indigenous islanders. She slammed Columbus for erasing their native culture. But when asked if there was anything about the Columbus Day festival she was particularly interested in she replied, "I want to go to the concert tonight because the orchestra is performing Beethoven's 9th symphony."

I guess not everything western is so bad after all.

Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo; Spanish: Cristóbal Colón;Portuguese: Cristóvão Colombo; born between 31 October 1450 and 30 October 1451, died 20 May 1506) was an Italian explorer, navigator, and colonizer, born in the Republic of Genoa (today part of Italy). Under the auspices of the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, he completed four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean. Those voyages, and his efforts to establish permanent settlements on the island of Hispaniola, initiated the Spanish colonization of theNew World.

History, learn it.

I know that part. I asked what Columbus Day has to do with "Italians". Or are you saying he's "a credit to his race"? :uhh:

-- so whose fault is that? Even Columbus didn't pretend to be working for Italy (which didn't exist at the time anyway). The place of one's birth is beyond one's control.

Basically Seattle and previously Minneapolis have decided that shitting on that is less offensive than maintaining Columbus day is to Native Americans.

I find it particularly comical as well, as Columbus' discovery and exploration really had nothing to do with English/French/Dutch colonization of NORTH America.

You progressives are all about perception. The Columbus Day parade in NYC is a tribute Italian Americans. Demonizing Columbus and taking away his holiday is shitting on us.

Columbus sailed for Spain to the Americas. He's got squat to do with "Italians", I don't care who misuses a holiday for it.
Did Hitler represent Austrians? Does William Shatner represent Canadians?

So.. Columbus did not discover anything, there were already people living in the places he claimed for Spain..

Yes, but it's always been a day that we recognize when the technological world discovered this hemisphere.
It's not so much the accuracy, but just a general recognition.

Now of course I realize that today, it's a day that natives and white liberals curse, and it's been that way for quite some time. The rest of it however, see something like this as another attack on our traditions.

And because we've always accepted the lies, we should continue to accept the lies.

That's RWs for you.

History, learn it.

White males are the most protected class.

Actually, today is Columbus Day
It's the day in 1977 when OU traveled to Columbus, OH and beat Woody Hayes' Ohio St Buckeyes 29-28 on a last second FG after recovering an onside kick. Game of the century.
And Woody was nice enough to slap a Sooner player when he approached him for the end of game hand shake..
Uwe von Schamann was the kicker that won the game.. I love the Sooners...I even attended OU...in 1983-84 bfore I went into the Regular Army, I was in the Nasty Guard in Norman at the time...Lived there also..the first city to decriminalize maryjane..

Columbus alit on the land and claimed it for Spain, yet could not cash a check at the local bank, since it was a holiday and the banks were closed.

Italians are not a protected class, so its open season to piss them off.

History, learn it.

You mean like the so called Saudi 9/11 hijackers ?

Forum List

Back