🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Seattle's Minimum Wage Killed the 'Five-Dollar Footlong'

This balancing act can overly-favor the employer if they have a large pool and political power.
Also, when we allow 11 million illegal workers to come here, you have way too many people seeking the same jobs, which gives employers an even greater advantage and further depresses the job markets in all industries and at all levels.

The left wants to redistribute wealth only, in pursuing social justice. Otherwise, they would be pushing hard to rid us of the mass of unskilled, illegal workers driving down wages.

I'm not defending the Seattle minimum wage, but do you disagree with minimum wage in general? If not, what do you think should govern where it is set?
market value.

fast food is not a skill position. it's manual labor and not worth the $$$. these positions will be automated and then done away with for people to even have it as an option. then what?

what you can do skillswise will determine what you should be able to make in life. not that you exist, squirted out 6 kids and need to feed them.

That seems to be an argument against minimum wage entirely, would that be correct?
maybe. that wasn't the question so i didn't answer it with that in mind.

Actually, that was the first part of my question which you responded to: Do you disagree with minimum wage in general, or if not, what should govern where it is set?

Are you saying you think the government should set a minimum wage based on market value? Or that the market should decide on its own without government interference? I'm just trying to be clear on your points so that I don't respond to something you didn't mean.
tough question. is minimum the ONLY wage I can pay? can i pay less for part time labor? i don't think there's 1 good answer to this unfortunately. small business owners simply may not be able to afford to pay $15 for a role in their company. so what are their options at that point? raise prices? move to lower rent neighborhoods?

i do think there needs to be a baseline but i don't believe it's a one size fits all.

I certainly don't think I know the best answer. :) I think the national minimum wage is almost pointless, because of the wide disparity in costs between states, or even counties within a state. The more localized the minimum wage, the more it can be tailored to the actual prices and purchasing power of money in an area. How localized it could be implemented without causing problems, I couldn't say.

Conditions are obviously different now than when minimum wage was first implemented. We don't have the child labor or sweat shops of the early 20th century. The population would probably not accept those sorts of practices in the US. However, without a minimum wage, I would worry that things could start sliding back toward that sort of dynamic, even if they might never get that bad. Because of that, I tend to think some sort of minimum wage is a good idea. Like you, though, I don't think there is a simple single answer to how minimum wage should be set.

Trump went to the best schools. So here's a paper from one of the best schools about what an idiot you are.

http://www.princeton.edu/~davidlee/wp/lee-saez11optminwage_jpubeR2.pdf
Here's one from the University of Chicago School of Economics.
https://miltonfriedman.hoover.org/friedman_images/Collections/2016c21/NW_09_26_1966.pdf
Milton Friedman is a theorist who never had to quantitatively demonstrate the outcomes of his theories.

To demonstrate my statement: There's no mathematics what-so-ever in the paper you cited.

That makes the paper "theory" and "philosophy".

Not Economics and mathematical proofs.

There's an old saying, "those who can, do, those who can't, teach". This applies well in this case. You choose to believe the results of a Princeton study, while ignoring the real world experience of the workers in Seattle. Who to believe, a work of theory.....or the actual real world experience of those affected by the law.

I'll go with real world over theory any day of the week.
That's a sh.t saying. The teachers know what they are talking about.

Most of economics is mathematics which can be demonstrated through proofs, this isn't "well can you hammer a nail in one hit?" life skills we are talking about.

This balancing act can overly-favor the employer if they have a large pool and political power.
Also, when we allow 11 million illegal workers to come here, you have way too many people seeking the same jobs, which gives employers an even greater advantage and further depresses the job markets in all industries and at all levels.

The left wants to redistribute wealth only, in pursuing social justice. Otherwise, they would be pushing hard to rid us of the mass of unskilled, illegal workers driving down wages.
This is a huge problem. Illegals are treated like slave labor and have the same effect.

Because you say so, got it. You are presented with recent evidence, and laugh. You have no intention of dealing with facts, unless they give the conclusion you want to push. Go on ignoring. That is what dems have been doing for sometime now. And why you don’t have Hillary in the White House.
Better watch it, that sand is gonna choke you before you know it.
Try this latest one.
Minimum Wage Increases, Wages, and Low-Wage Employment: Evidence from Seattle
https://evans.uw.edu/sites/default/files/NBER Working Paper.pdf
And this one

http://montgomerycountymd.gov/OPI/Resources/Files/2017/MC_Minimum-Wage-Impact-Analysis_7-31-2017.pdf

And for you to not understand that yes, newer studies on the actual REsULTS of these increases is much more reliable than one many years old
Trump went to the best schools. So here's a paper from one of the best schools about what an idiot you are.

6 years old... lol
Will you idiots get on the same page.

The other buffoon just threw at me a paper bereft of mathematical proofs from 1968.

So which is it?

Philosophically I'm wrong despite any mathematical evidence to back up your claim?

Or the paper is too old? LOLOLOLOL
"This paper evaluates the wage, employment, and hours effects of the first and second phase-in of the Seattle Minimum Wage Ordinance, which raised the minimum wage from $9.47 to as much as $11 per hour in 2015 and to as much as $13 per hour in 2016. Using a variety of methods to analyze employment in all sectors paying below a specified real hourly rate, we conclude that the second wage increase to $13 reduced hours worked in low-wage jobs by around 9 percent, while hourly wages in such jobs increased by around 3 percent. Consequently, total payroll fell for such jobs, implying that the minimum wage ordinance lowered low-wage employees’ earnings by an average of $125 per month in 2016. Evidence attributes more modest effects to the first wage increase. We estimate an effect of zero when analyzing employment in the restaurant industry at all wage levels, comparable to many prior studies."

This paper sounds stupid: "hours decreased by 9%" but "hourly wages increased only 3%"

How is that possible when the wage increase was from $11/hour to $13/hour. An increase of 16%?

Laughable paper.

https://miltonfriedman.hoover.org/friedman_images/Collections/2016c21/NW_09_26_1966.pdf
Milton Friedman is a theorist who never had to quantitatively demonstrate the outcomes of his theories.

To demonstrate my statement: There's no mathematics what-so-ever in the paper you cited.

There's an old saying, "those who can, do, those who can't, teach". This applies well in this case. You choose to believe the results of a Princeton study, while ignoring the real world experience of the workers in Seattle. Who to believe, a work of theory.....or the actual real world experience of those affected by the law.

Most of economics is mathematics which can be demonstrated through proofs, this isn't "well can you hammer a nail in one hit?" life skills we are talking about.

It is also an accurate one. Most teachers are average, some are below average. There are a very few who are exceptional. The problem is people, like you, seem to think they are all exceptional. It simply isn't true.

This is a huge problem. Illegals are treated like slave labor and have the same effect.
I can't blame Seattle for doing something about wage depression. State and local governments lack the authority to remove the very cause, so they go with a mandatory wage hike.

I would propose that we round up and deport as many illegals as possible before any minimum wage hike. We may not even need to hike it, as the demand for workers increases, so do wages.

There are free market solutions. We just need our government to behave in a way that allows for market correction.

It is also an accurate one. Most teachers are average, some are below average. There are a very few who are exceptional. The problem is people, like you, seem to think they are all exceptional. It simply isn't true.
very few exceptional??? You could be talking about Republicans in congress and the WH

Dang, though your image isn’t showing.

6 years old... lol

The other buffoon just threw at me a paper bereft of mathematical proofs from 1968.

So which is it?

Philosophically I'm wrong despite any mathematical evidence to back up your claim?

Here's some advise, Sock.

getPart
What about now?

very few exceptional??? You could be talking about Republicans in congress and the WH

No, that would apply to ALL of Congress, and the Senate. Party affiliation is meaningless. The overwhelming majority of politicians are C+ level students and are mainly interested in personal enrichment.

No, that would apply to ALL of Congress, and the Senate. Party affiliation is meaningless. The overwhelming majority of politicians are C+ level students and are mainly interested in personal enrichment.
well most of those c level students are millionaires How they came by that I don't know ,,inherited ,,insider trading etc etc but they sure know enough to give themselves nice tax cuts

True, but having a large number of teachers (or anyone else for that matter) below average would have to have a corresponding number of above average teachers, or a smaller number of exceptional teachers. I am betting it more closely approaches a bell curve.

Wait a fucking minute.
This asshole admits their pizzas only used to cost 14 cents per pizza?
"from a corporate basis"?
They fucking charge like $20 a pizza! Americans are fucking dumb for paying for things way over the value they actually cost to make.

NO - the pizza asshole estimated that he'd have to RAISE his per pizza prices from 15 to 20 cents per.
Like that's a big deal to pay for what Obamacare cost him to provide health insurance for his employees?
Meh

well most of those c level students are millionaires How they came by that I don't know ,,inherited ,,insider trading etc etc but they sure know enough to give themselves nice tax cuts

It's called CORRUPTION. They have exempted themselves from Insider Trading Laws as an example. Pelosi and her husband have made millions from insider information as an example.

I'm not defending the Seattle minimum wage, but do you disagree with minimum wage in general? If not, what do you think should govern where it is set?

The market should govern the appropriate wage
The market can be abused by cartels and those with political power such that they can artificially reduce wages to slave wages.

"Slave wages" is an oxymoron as slaves aren't paid wages and nobody in an advanced economy would work for excessively low wages. We've seen plenty of companies raise their start wage beyond the minimum wage in order to gain a competitive edge in hiring.

It's called CORRUPTION. They have exempted themselves from Insider Trading Laws as an example. Pelosi and her husband have made millions from insider information as an example.

A damn shame but it was legal for them to do it I'd like all corrupt congress thrown out BUT remember THEY make the laws

I still only get the written img tag and nothing else.
Dang, though your image isn’t showing.

6 years old... lol

So which is it?

Here's some advise, Sock.

https://mail.aol.com/webmail/getPart?uid=30328045&partId=1.2&saveAs=Untitled.jpg&scope=DWEB[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
What about now?[/QUOTE]

Forum List

Back