Semper Fi - Arrruuuuuuuuuuggaahhh

Then there was the joint op we were on where we were told we had to wear all of our field gear in the rear base, because we were in the field. We politely informed the leadership that we weren't in the field when we had running water, etc. so we don't wear our field gear out of the field. Then we politely told them they could call our regimental commander if they had a problem. They did, he called the SOCOM 4 star who called the 2 star in the rear base and told him to leave the Rangers alone.

When I was in Ranger School we had a Marine Captain who started calling Marine cadence (I guess that what it was) and we all had to look and him and ask, "What the hell did you just say?" Couldn't understand a word of it.

Plus the Captain kept pissing off Colonel Scott by saying Aye aye sir. Col Scott finally told him that he was in an Army School and he was to say Yes Sir. The Captain saluted him and said, "Aye aye sir." He ended up saluting telephone poles for about an hour to get it out of his system.

THAT is scarey. A Marine CAPTAIN trying to call cadence? LMAO. I don't think I have EVER heard a Marine Officer call cadence.

Sounds to me like the Col disrespected the Captain's service and his rank if he did that in front of subordinates.;)

Then there was the joint op we were on where we were told we had to wear all of our field gear in the rear base, because we were in the field. We politely informed the leadership that we weren't in the field when we had running water, etc. so we don't wear our field gear out of the field. Then we politely told them they could call our regimental commander if they had a problem. They did, he called the SOCOM 4 star who called the 2 star in the rear base and told him to leave the Rangers alone.

Must have been a school. Getting Marines to take HALF their gear to the actual field is a feat in and of itself, much less the rear. But then, you're talking about some officer. We tried our best to train them to be normal people but some just couldn't get it.

He took him aside to do it, but to be fair, the Captain was a bit of nimrod. He didn't last long.

There are several variations of spelling for the same sound. Marines during the time I was in basically said OOH-RAH! and it was spelled that way. The Army came up with HOO-YAH! from somewhere.

If you do the Marine version correctly it can be heard about two blocks away (my neighbors adore me!), and it comes from the gut and sounds like nothing anyone can spell.

The way the Col spells it, you would not hear the "G" annunciated.

Oh ok...I appreciate the clarification. I've heard different sayings by the military, but I wasn't sure if their was a new one that had found its way there.

I was in the Air Force. We said "hoooooo-YAAAH!" With more emphasis on the "YAH".

I always wished we said RAH instead of YAH, as I thought YAH was a little, pardon my expression...GAY.

I was in the Air Force. We said "hoooooo-YAAAH!" With more emphasis on the "YAH".

I always wished we said RAH instead of YAH, as I thought YAH was a little, pardon my expression...GAY.

LOL.....YAY!!!:iagree: what if it was...Hooyay!! or Hooray!!! That would be horrible.

AIr Force? Well ... ummm .... :eusa_think:

My friend's Brother in law was in the Airforce and was an Tech Sgt ( that is E-6?) we had a time explaining to him one day what a formation was. He finally remembered that before he joined the airforce and was in the Navy he used to get in a big group and everyone got accounted for by Division for the ship he was on.

We asked him how his unit verified everyone was present every day and he replied, "they look at your desk of course."

My friend's Brother in law was in the Airforce and was an Tech Sgt ( that is E-6?) we had a time explaining to him one day what a formation was. He finally remembered that before he joined the airforce and was in the Navy he used to get in a big group and everyone got accounted for by Division for the ship he was on.

We asked him how his unit verified everyone was present every day and he replied, "they look at your desk of course."

:eusa_eh:

lol, the "CHAIR FORCE"

My last command was a DOD school where all five services participated.

None of the other services had a PFT like we did. I think the Army ran a mile or less. They did the push-up, which I don't think are as good for upper body as the pull ups.

I still remember the old test where you did everything in uniform and full gear. I hated that three mile run with the M-14 banging the crap out of you. There was the step ups, carry your buddy, crawl something, rope climb and maybe something else.

It simulated real conditions better than the PFT and New Balances.

Ahhh, the old Corps.

images14.jpg

C-Rats, Pall Malls no filter, and ham and mfers.

AIr Force? Well ... ummm .... :eusa_think:

What?

I realize the bad rap the AF gets because it's the pussy branch, but I personally didn't push papers at a desk. I worked inside 150+ ft. deep Minuteman ICBM silos removing and replacing nuclear missile stages, and dropping the Malmstrom AFB Minuteman arsenal from 3 warheads down to 1 as per the START II treaty with Russia.

I know it's a far cry from being on the front lines in combat in a hot zone, but it was way better than being a desk jockey.

Don't ever forget though, that even the desk jockey is playing a part in defending the nation.

I joined mainly to change the path I was on at the time. A buddy of mine joined the Marines a few months before I joined the AF. He just finished his second enlistment term and he decided to seperate because he had become a recruiter and could no longer stand the current recruiting policy. He said it pissed him off so much that he lost his desire to continue being an active Marine.

@ RGS

I don't know why that Tech wouldn't know what a formation was. Maybe Basic Training policy changed since then, but when I was in Basic, all we fucking DID was learn formation. Since we obviously weren't training for combat, all we did was fucking drill or PT. Basically the 7 weeks we spent in Basic was all about learning how to march your formation correctly so that at the end you could do a big presentation for the Wing commander and maybe a 2 star from somewhere that cared enough to show up. Well, that, and learning how to fold clothes with precision.

I'm pretty sure I'll never forget facing movements, formations, and basic drill, as long as I live.

My last command was a DOD school where all five services participated.

None of the other services had a PFT like we did. I think the Army ran a mile or less. They did the push-up, which I don't think are as good for upper body as the pull ups.

I still remember the old test where you did everything in uniform and full gear. I hated that three mile run with the M-14 banging the crap out of you. There was the step ups, carry your buddy, crawl something, rope climb and maybe something else.

It simulated real conditions better than the PFT and New Balances.

Ahhh, the old Corps.

images14.jpg

C-Rats, Pall Malls no filter, and ham and mfers.

That is called the PRT and they brought it back when Gen Gray was CMC.

Still had the PFT for score, but they required everyone to take the PRT (not for score). It was quite amusing to see all those Dainty Dannies who could fly 3 miles in 18 mins in sneakers have to fireman carry someone 50 yards.

Payback.:cool:

What?

I realize the bad rap the AF gets because it's the pussy branch, but I personally didn't push papers at a desk. I worked inside 150+ ft. deep Minuteman ICBM silos removing and replacing nuclear missile stages, and dropping the Malmstrom AFB Minuteman arsenal from 3 warheads down to 1 as per the START II treaty with Russia.

I know it's a far cry from being on the front lines in combat in a hot zone, but it was way better than being a desk jockey.

Don't ever forget though, that even the desk jockey is playing a part in defending the nation.

I joined mainly to change the path I was on at the time. A buddy of mine joined the Marines a few months before I joined the AF. He just finished his second enlistment term and he decided to seperate because he had become a recruiter and could no longer stand the current recruiting policy. He said it pissed him off so much that he lost his desire to continue being an active Marine.

@ RGS

I don't know why that Tech wouldn't know what a formation was. Maybe Basic Training policy changed since then, but when I was in Basic, all we fucking DID was learn formation. Since we obviously weren't training for combat, all we did was fucking drill or PT. Basically the 7 weeks we spent in Basic was all about learning how to march your formation correctly so that at the end you could do a big presentation for the Wing commander and maybe a 2 star from somewhere that cared enough to show up. Well, that, and learning how to fold clothes with precision.

I'm pretty sure I'll never forget facing movements, formations, and basic drill, as long as I live.

Dude ... CHILL. A little tongue-in-cheek inter-service rivalry. I spent the first 18 years of my life as an Air Force dependent. My father is a retired Chief. He was in Security Service. The 7th grade was the first year I completed a grade in the same school I started the year in.

I was born at Wilford Hall, as was one of my daughters -- the other being born at MCAGCC 29 Stumps, CA.

Excuse me, but 7 weeks?:rofl:

Just busting your chops. Everyone has a job to do.

The Air Force is the best civilian force we have. hehe.

Believe me I would never want to be a line crew or bomb loader. Tjose are dangerous jobs and the Air Force does them well.

However the Air Force is stuck up. And they get special treatment.

When Bosnia was hot and heavy the air force lived in buildings in Italy and got paid extra for substandard quarters and got paid per diem. The Marines? They lived in tents on the air field and got no extra pay cause they were "in the field". In fact they lost pay cause they lost their allowance for food.

Then there is the way the Air Force builds. They decide they need a new airfield so Congress gives them x number of dollars. The Air Force then spends that money on everything EXCEPT the actual Air field or hangers, building nice quarters and recreation facilities, nice chow halls and other facilities. When they run out of money the air field is not there so they go back to Congress and say "darn we don't have our field yet, give us more money" ANd of course the option then is shut them down at a huge waste or give them more money.

Now ask a Marine , sailor or Soldier what their service builds first. Mission first troops second.

On Kadina Air Base in Okinawa the air force troops would get upset if one person was in front of them in a chow line. They did not even have to take their trays to the sink. Now go to a marine Base and stand in a 200 man line waiting for lunch or dinner. I wanted to ring a couple Airmens necks, I got to eat at Kadina occasional cause I had to ferry material to the security shipping point. They actually tried to pass a regulation that non air force could not eat on the Air Base unless stationed there.

My buddy was stationed at Kadina most of his 8 years in the Marines. His MOS was Ladd Gunner.

And GunnyL, I was definitely chill. I guess my tone was misinterpreted. I brushed that AF shit talk off my shoulders YEARS ago, while I was still enlisted. At this point it's meaningless to me.

I have to admit, however, if we ever had an out and in flight that had a night lay over, we always tried for the Air Force bases. They had the best quarters and access to a good meal after hours.

I have to admit, however, if we ever had an out and in flight that had a night lay over, we always tried for the Air Force bases. They had the best quarters and access to a good meal after hours.
T\

The two times I flew into Scott Air Force base in Illinois I was always made to feel welcome, and got a good nights sleep.

Just down from the transient barracks was a good mess hall, that was open 24hrs, and had great hash-browns.:cool:

Forum List

Back