Sensible Gun Law & Gun Ownership Changes

Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.
In your opinion, not in fact.

None of this would pass Constitutional muster – and appropriately so.
Dang. If you have this guy disagreeing with you...

Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.

Sure, just as soon as you need a federal license to be on the internet, with all the bullshit qualification you just described. Or you could simply FOAD, gun ownership is a personal RIGHT, not some privilege that needs to be licensed.

In your opinion, not in fact.

None of this would pass Constitutional muster – and appropriately so.
Dang. If you have this guy disagreeing with you...
LOL.

That is a bad sign.

but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term

Feel free to make all the changes you desire for your personal gun ownership.

I, and the rest of us, will do what the same.

there is nothing sensible about your proposals..,

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,
I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.
Making it harder for people to legally get guns is going to do just that, it's not going to slow the criminals down at all.
In fact, it would lead to more violent crime because the criminals know people would be unarmed.

I didn't figure you to be a big governmenter, guess I was wrong.

I may have underestimated the response I’d get from these ideas. I understand the constitutionality concerns with what I’m talking about and that would obviously be a barrier and debate point before any of this could be considered possible. My main point with this was to focus on the long term impact of these changes and how in my opinion it could ultimately lead to more responsible gun ownership that is trackable to an extent.

Fuck off dumbass

as a LIB PROG on social issues who ALSO supports GUN RIGHTS and GUN REGULATIONS I consider your restrictions a little too restricting.

but mostly I agree with you.

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,
I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.
Making it harder for people to legally get guns is going to do just that, it's not going to slow the criminals down at all.
In fact, it would lead to more violent crime because the criminals know people would be unarmed.

I wasn’t really looking at it from a big or small government point of view. It just kind of is what it is to me. In the short term yes there could be difficulties for legal gun owners but in theory over time it would become harder and harder for criminals to get them including the ammunition. I don’t have data to support that it’s just an opinion.

I may have underestimated the response I’d get from these ideas. I understand the constitutionality concerns with what I’m talking about and that would obviously be a barrier and debate point before any of this could be considered possible. My main point with this was to focus on the long term impact of these changes and how in my opinion it could ultimately lead to more responsible gun ownership that is trackable to an extent.
Again fuck off dumbass

Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. You picked a really bad time to start a thread like this with all the rioting and looting going on.
People everywhere are realizing they need guns now. Gun stores are booming!

I wasn’t really looking at it from a big or small government point of view. It just kind of is what it is to me. In the short term yes there could be difficulties for legal gun owners but in theory over time it would become harder and harder for criminals to get them including the ammunition. I don’t have data to support that it’s just an opinion.
how is it harder for criminals when they dont use those systems to get their guns,,,

youre a gun grabber or an idiot,,,

how is it harder for criminals when they dont use those systems to get their guns,,,

Unless they make their own ammunition eventually someone would need to buy it. If there is a requirement to have a valid firearm license and the training that goes along with it to buy bullets then theft would be the only real means to get bullets, atleast for a large percentage of a typical criminal. If A legitimate person were too buy these things for the criminals then in theory the police could track that back to that person in some cases.

The long term impacts would reduce the ability for legal gun owners to possess a fierarm.

The problem is that not one single thing you mentioned has anything or any way to impact illegal gun ownership or crime. The overall goal seems to be nothing more than making gun ownership onerous to the point that people choose not to own them.

Then you must want everyone to get a federal license in order to exercise any rights.

If you don't pay your fee and get your 4th amendment license then the cops can search you, your home and your vehicles without a warrant.

Don't have your First Amendment license? Then you get arrested for criticizing the government.

We already have plenty of sensible gun laws on the books.

Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. You picked a really bad time to start a thread like this with all the rioting and looting going on.

I agree it’s bad timing on my part

Unless they make their own ammunition eventually someone would need to buy it. If there is a requirement to have a valid firearm license and the training that goes along with it to buy bullets then theft would be the only real means to get bullets, atleast for a large percentage of a typical criminal. If A legitimate person were too buy these things for the criminals then in theory the police could track that back to that person in some cases.
YEP,,,your a fucking nazi gun grabber,,,
now go suck a swastika and leave us alone,,,

Then you must want everyone to get a federal license in order to exercise any rights.

If you don't pay your fee and get your 4th amendment license then the cops can search you, your home and your vehicles without a warrant.

Don't have your First Amendment license? Then you get arrested for criticizing the government.

No I’m not advocating for licenses to exercise rights like speech and such, that’s not my intent.

No I’m not advocating for licenses to exercise rights like speech and such, that’s not my intent.

rights like speech and such are no different than the right to keep and bear arms.

" Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. "

I have.

apparently YOU have NOT!

what happened in Germany in 1936;

all NON aryans, minorities, JEWS, intellectuals, communists, atheists, liberals, rational people, sane people, reasonable people were DENIED the right to own guns!

all ARYANS who were MEMBERS of the NAZI party WERE allowed to own guns...

so....

think of it like this;

YOU, being a member of the conservative christian republican party, will be ALLOWED to own weapons

but the people you want to kill (or lynch) will NOT!

and THAT is what happened in NAZI Germany.

so....

do you have a problem with YOU and your friends LEGALLY OWNING WEAPONS while denying all of the people you want to kill (or lynch) the right to fight back?

I'll bet not....

if CONS can have weapons but LIBS can NOT....wouldn't it make it easier for you to rack up the kills?

Forum List

Back