Sensible Gun Law & Gun Ownership Changes

I may have underestimated the response Iā€™d get from these ideas. I understand the constitutionality concerns with what Iā€™m talking about and that would obviously be a barrier and debate point before any of this could be considered possible. My main point with this was to focus on the long term impact of these changes and how in my opinion it could ultimately lead to more responsible gun ownership that is trackable to an extent.
Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. You picked a really bad time to start a thread like this with all the rioting and looting going on.
People everywhere are realizing they need guns now. Gun stores are booming!

" Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. "

I have.

apparently YOU have NOT!

what happened in Germany in 1936;

all NON aryans, minorities, JEWS, intellectuals, communists, atheists, liberals, rational people, sane people, reasonable people were DENIED the right to own guns!

all ARYANS who were MEMBERS of the NAZI party WERE allowed to own guns...

so....

think of it like this;

YOU, being a member of the conservative christian republican party, will be ALLOWED to own weapons

but the people you want to kill (or lynch) will NOT!

and THAT'S is what happened in NAZI Germany.

so....

do you have a problem with YOU and your friends LEGALLY OWNING WEAPONS while denying all of the people you want to kill (or lynch) the right to fight back?

I'll bet not....

if CONS can have weapons but LIBS can NOT....wouldn't it make it easier for you to rack up the kills?
Fuck it, make it a fair fight, IDGAF. They will not win.

Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.
Then you must want everyone to get a federal license in order to exercise any rights.

If you don't pay your fee and get your 4th amendment license then the cops can search you, your home and your vehicles without a warrant.

Don't have your First Amendment license? Then you get arrested for criticizing the government.

We already have plenty of sensible gun laws on the books.

No Iā€™m not advocating for licenses to exercise rights like speech and such, thatā€™s not my intent.
but thats the result,,,which makes you an idiot,,,

My main point with this was to focus on the long term impact of these changes and how in my opinion it could ultimately lead to more responsible gun ownership that is trackable to an extent.

Right. Making sure that only criminals have guns is the way to make sure that guns are owned responsibly.

Did you even bother to try to think, before you started this thread?

No Iā€™m not advocating for licenses to exercise rights like speech and such, thatā€™s not my intent.

Keeping and bearings arms is a right, just like speech and such. Explicitly affirmed and upheld in the Bill of Rights.

So yes, you are doing exactly thatā€”calling for a right to be reduced to a government-controlled privilege, in blatant violation of the Constitution.

Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, but I do think that there could be sensible adjustments made to gun laws and how citizens own guns that in the long term would make the country safer in my personal opinion. I'd be curious of your opinions and your potential adjustments to these ideas.

- I think all gun owners should have to submit for a federal license in order to own. You would have to have a clean criminal record in order to get a license. You should also have to agree within that paperwork to have a secure place or safe at your home for the gun to be stored and that safe can be subject to inspection by the police to make sure its within compliance of the license.

- The purchase of the gun should have a designated reason that is necessary for the transaction as part of the application. Meaning that when you go into a gun store or sporting goods store to buy a gun you should have to formally declare on paper before that time the intended usage of the gun you want to buy. So for example, hunting, sport shooting, professional needs, etc. I also think that there should be a limit to one gun per caliber. If you need more guns of the same caliber due to it being a profession then you could request an increase.

- If you intend to purchase the gun for hunting then you should first have to pass gun safety courses and training and only then you will have a valid hunting license before you are allowed to buy the gun. For hunting only bolt action weapons would be allowed. Similar for sport shooting or for professional reasons you should have documentation proving the justification for the purchase and that you have completed all necessary training.

- For sport shooting semi-automatic weapons would be allowed but before you can buy I think you should be registered to a gun range or shooting center and the facility would verify your membership as part of the licensing and the loaned weapons you were allowed to rent while at the center. The training for both would also require a refresher every year to remain valid for the hunting or sport shooting license. If your hunting license for example is no longer valid or if you fail the training courses then the guns would need to be surrendered, or if you leave that specific shooting center then you would need to resubmit the new location and the president or owner of that gun club would need to verify it as well.

- The ammunition for these weapons would also only be able to be bought if you have a valid federal license to own a gun.

I know these sound strict compared to what we have now but I think they are sensible changes that in the long term I think it would eventually reduce the amount of illegal weapons and create a more respectful gun culture.

One at a time...

1) No. Owning a gun is a Right....you do not need a license to exercise a right. Any licensing scheme will become what they have in Europe and New York...so filled with red tape, fees and taxes, normal people will not be able to afford to own and carry a gun.

It is also unneccessary and does nothing to help fight gun crime.

2) Again.....owning and carrying a gun is a Right....you do not have to declare to the government why you want to exercise a Right.

Would you be okay with limiting access to Freedom of the Press or expression...such as only being allowed to publish so many pages a month, or how much paper or ink you can buy or how much time you can spend on the computer publishing your views or discussing your views?

3) Again...unConstitutional..........you just don't understand that owning a gun and carrying a gun is a Right......

These are not sensible, and are, in fact, slippery slopes to gun confiscation and banning for great swaths of the public............

there is nothing sensible about your proposals..,

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,
I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.

Actually, no. The reason we have so many criminals who use guns for crime is the democrat party politicians, judges and prosecutors keep letting repeat, violent, known gun criminals out of prison and jail over and over again...

And in fact....as more normal Americans own and carry guns our gun crime rate has gone down, not up...so normal people having access to guns does not increase the gun crime rate...

Nothing that the anti-gun side of the argument believes about guns or gun ownership is even remotely true, accurate, or based in reality...

Over the last 27 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nationā€™s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearmā€”assaults, robberies and sex crimesā€”was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

I may have underestimated the response Iā€™d get from these ideas. I understand the constitutionality concerns with what Iā€™m talking about and that would obviously be a barrier and debate point before any of this could be considered possible. My main point with this was to focus on the long term impact of these changes and how in my opinion it could ultimately lead to more responsible gun ownership that is trackable to an extent.

Sorry.....you don't really understand any of the issues involved in what you want. Our gun crime rate has nothing to do with normal people who own guns....and everything you want essentially targets the very people who do not commit any crime with their legal guns.

Again, the problem we have in this country is directly caused by the criminal justice policies of the democrat party......how they lower prison sentences for gun criminals, how they release repeat gun criminals over and over again, and how they refuse to see actual criminals as the problem in the gun control issue vs. targeting law abiding gun owners who are not the problem.

there are over 100 million gun owners in this country and little to no problems except from criminals,,,
now if you can figure out how to keep criminals from getting guns then we can talk,,,
I think it could reasonably be argued that the relative ease of access is why so many criminals have guns.
Making it harder for people to legally get guns is going to do just that, it's not going to slow the criminals down at all.
In fact, it would lead to more violent crime because the criminals know people would be unarmed.

I didn't figure you to be a big governmenter, guess I was wrong.
I wasnā€™t really looking at it from a big or small government point of view. It just kind of is what it is to me. In the short term yes there could be difficulties for legal gun owners but in theory over time it would become harder and harder for criminals to get them including the ammunition. I donā€™t have data to support that itā€™s just an opinion.

Yes...it is just an opinion because it has no bearing in reality. Criminals get guns easily, even in Europe where they almost every gun except the hunting shotguns of the wealthy are illegal.........they have what you want and their criminals get fully automatic weapons easily...........

Making it harder for people to legally get guns is going to do just that, it's not going to slow the criminals down at all.
In fact, it would lead to more violent crime because the criminals know people would be unarmed.

I wasnā€™t really looking at it from a big or small government point of view. It just kind of is what it is to me. In the short term yes there could be difficulties for legal gun owners but in theory over time it would become harder and harder for criminals to get them including the ammunition. I donā€™t have data to support that itā€™s just an opinion.
how is it harder for criminals when they dont use those systems to get their guns,,,

youre a gun grabber or an idiot,,,

Unless they make their own ammunition eventually someone would need to buy it. If there is a requirement to have a valid firearm license and the training that goes along with it to buy bullets then theft would be the only real means to get bullets, atleast for a large percentage of a typical criminal. If A legitimate person were too buy these things for the criminals then in theory the police could track that back to that person in some cases.

Sorry.......tracking guns to criminals doesn't work......since they tend to either take the gun with them, or if they leave the gun, the gun will have been stolen or purchased by a straw buyer.....

Here...this may help you understand the mechanics of what you think you want....

Canada Tried Registering Long Guns -- And Gave Up

The law passed and starting in 1998 Canadians were required to have a license to own firearms and register their weapons with the government. According to Canadian researcher (and gun enthusiast) Gary Mauser, the Canada Firearms Center quickly rose to 600 employees and the cost of the effort climbed past $600 million. In 2002 Canadaā€™s auditor general released a report saying initial cost estimates of $2 million (Canadian) had increased to $1 billion as the government tried to register the estimated 15 million guns owned by Canadaā€™s 34 million residents.

The registry was plagued with complications like duplicate serial numbers and millions of incomplete records, Mauser reports. One person managed to register a soldering gun, demonstrating the lack of precise standards. And overshadowing the effort was the suspicion of misplaced effort: Pistols were used in 66% of gun homicides in 2011, yet they represent about 6% of the guns in Canada. Legal long guns were used in 11% of killings that year, according to Statistics Canada, while illegal weapons like sawed-off shotguns and machine guns, which by definition cannot be registered, were used in another 12%.

So the government was spending the bulk of its money ā€” about $17 million of the Firearms Centerā€™s $82 million annual budget ā€” trying to register long guns when the statistics showed they werenā€™t the problem.

There was also the question of how registering guns was supposed to reduce crime and suicide in the first place. From 1997 to 2005, only 13% of the guns used in homicides were registered. Police studies in Canada estimated that 2-16% of guns used in crimes were stolen from legal owners and thus potentially in the registry. The bulk of the guns, Canadian officials concluded, were unregistered weapons imported illegally from the U.S. by criminal gangs.

Finally in 2011, conservatives led by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper voted to abolish the long-gun registry and destroy all its records. Liberals argued the law had contributed to the decline in gun homicides since it was passed. But Mauser notes that gun homicides have actually been rising in recent years, from 151 in 1999 to 173 in 2009, as violent criminal gangs use guns in their drug turf wars and other disputes. As in the U.S., most gun homicides in Canada are committed by young males, many of them with criminal records. In the majority of homicides involving young males, the victim and the killer are know each other.

People do not act the way you promote they will. You see the protests. They were riots. With property destroyed, people attacked and injured, and people killed. They just didn't get with the program! That is why restrictions are no good.

how is it harder for criminals when they dont use those systems to get their guns,,,

youre a gun grabber or an idiot,,,

Unless they make their own ammunition eventually someone would need to buy it. If there is a requirement to have a valid firearm license and the training that goes along with it to buy bullets then theft would be the only real means to get bullets, atleast for a large percentage of a typical criminal. If A legitimate person were too buy these things for the criminals then in theory the police could track that back to that person in some cases.

And more.....
Ten Myths Of The Long Gun Registry | Canadian Shooting Sports Association

Myth #4: Police investigations are aided by the registry.
Doubtful. Information contained in the registry is incomplete and unreliable. Due to the inaccuracy of the information, it cannot be used as evidence in court and the government has yet to prove that it has been a contributing factor in any investigation. Another factor is the dismal compliance rate (estimated at only 50%) for licensing and registration which further renders the registry useless. Some senior police officers have stated as such: ā€œThe law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor helped us solve any of them. None of the guns we know to have been used were registered ... the money could be more effectively used for security against terrorism as well as a host of other public safety initiatives.ā€ Former Toronto Police Chief Julian Fantino, January 2003.

-----

https://www.quora.com/In-countries-...olved-at-least-in-part-by-use-of-the-registry

Tracking physical objects that are easily transferred with a database is non-trivial problem. Guns that are stolen, loaned, or lost disappear from the registry. The data is has to be manually entered and input mistakes will both leak guns and generate false positive results.

Registries donā€™t solve straw-purchases. If someone goes through all of the steps to register a gun and simply gives it to a criminal that gun becomes unregistered. Assuming the gun is ever recovered you could theoretically try and prosecute the person who transferred the gun to the criminal, but you arenā€™t solving the crime you were trying to. Remember that people will prostitute themselves or even their children for drugs, so how much deterrence is there in a maybe-get-a-few-years for straw purchasing?

Registries are expensive. Canadaā€™s registry was pitched as costing the taxpayer $2 million and the rest of the costs were to be payed for with registration fees. It was subject to massive cost overruns that were not being met by registrations fees. When the program was audited in 2002 the program was expected to cost over $1 billion and that the fee revenue was only expected to be $140 million.

No gun recovered. If no gun was recovered at the scene of the crime then your registry isnā€™t even theoretically helping, let alone providing a practical tool. You need a world where criminals meticulously register their guns and leave them at the crime scene for a registry to start to become useful.

Say I have a registered gun, and a known associate of mine was shot and killed. Ballistics is able to determine that my known associate was killed with the same make and model as the gun I registered. A registry doesnā€™t prove that my gun was used, or that I was the one doing the shooting. I was a suspect as soon as we said ā€œknown associateā€ and the police will then being looking for motive and checking for my alibi.

Then you must want everyone to get a federal license in order to exercise any rights.

If you don't pay your fee and get your 4th amendment license then the cops can search you, your home and your vehicles without a warrant.

Don't have your First Amendment license? Then you get arrested for criticizing the government.

But it is the same thing when you want to require a license to exercise the Right to own and carry a gun.

Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. You picked a really bad time to start a thread like this with all the rioting and looting going on.
People everywhere are realizing they need guns now. Gun stores are booming!

" Read about what happened in 1938 Germany. "

I have.

apparently YOU have NOT!

what happened in Germany in 1936;

all NON aryans, minorities, JEWS, intellectuals, communists, atheists, liberals, rational people, sane people, reasonable people were DENIED the right to own guns!

all ARYANS who were MEMBERS of the NAZI party WERE allowed to own guns...

so....

think of it like this;

YOU, being a member of the conservative christian republican party, will be ALLOWED to own weapons

but the people you want to kill (or lynch) will NOT!

and THAT is what happened in NAZI Germany.

so....

do you have a problem with YOU and your friends LEGALLY OWNING WEAPONS while denying all of the people you want to kill (or lynch) the right to fight back?

I'll bet not....

if CONS can have weapons but LIBS can NOT....wouldn't it make it easier for you to rack up the kills?

Moron, the only ones who murdered people like that were left wingers like yourself.....not conservative Christians.......the socialists have confiscated guns around the world and then went on to murder close to, if not over, 100 million innocent men, women and children.

You are the problem, not American conservatives.....

Keeping and bearings arms is a right, just like speech and such. Explicitly affirmed and upheld in the Bill of Rights.

So yes, you are doing exactly thatā€”calling for a right to be reduced to a government-controlled privilege, in blatant violation of the Constitution.

Then at that point i'd probably advocate for an amendment change if legally these changes couldn't be performed.

But it is the same thing when you want to require a license to exercise the Right to own and carry a gun.

You would still have the right to own at the end of the day though. The change is the process.

You would still have the right to own at the end of the day though. The change is the process.

the second you need to pay the government to exercise any right then you have lost that right

Sorry.....you don't really understand any of the issues involved in what you want. Our gun crime rate has nothing to do with normal people who own guns....and everything you want essentially targets the very people who do not commit any crime with their legal guns.

Again, the problem we have in this country is directly caused by the criminal justice policies of the democrat party......how they lower prison sentences for gun criminals, how they release repeat gun criminals over and over again, and how they refuse to see actual criminals as the problem in the gun control issue vs. targeting law abiding gun owners who are not the problem.

I have a solution for that! Expedient public hanging for violent rape, robbery, and murder. If that was the norm, George Floyd would have been dead years ago for pistol whipping a pregnant woman in the commission of a robbery.
It frees up jail space and less cops, lawyers, and judges are needed..
Also it makes prison for those that have to be there a safer place.

Oh, and hang pedos, too. Definitely hang the pedos.

Last edited:
Just to make it known I am not anti-gun private ownership or wanting to ban all guns, nor am I against the ownership of semi-automatic weapons, butā€¦

This is where two statements are joined by a ā€œbutā€, in such a way that you know, even before you read the whole of it, that everything after the ā€œbutā€ just goes to show that everything before the ā€œbutā€ was a lie.

what if the process decide you cant have one???

Forum List

Back