🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

September's gains in construction jobs a good sign for the economic recovery

R

rdean

Not many jobs -- but the right kind

Topping that list is a gain of 20,000 construction jobs, for the first material gains in this huge, highly cyclical and very depressed sector of the economy. Construction job gains of 15,000 to 20,000 a month are essential to a recovery that generates 250,000 jobs a month overall. And this is the first month since February that it has happened in the Labor Department survey.

Governments are still down almost 800,000 workers from April 2009

-------------------------------

We know from other threads that the Republicans plans to lower the minimum wage and create lots of low pay, unskilled work is a bust. The cost in food assistance and health care to minimum wage jobs will bankrupt the country. We can't all be Red States.

And with 800,000 fewer government workers, so much for Obama "expanding" the government. They might as well say he's from Kenya. Oh wait.

Imagine what that missing 24 billion could do if only Republicans hadn't shut down the government and tried desperately to drive us over the fiscal cliff.

One thing is clear, whether it's learning a "trade" or getting a degree, Americans need education to grow the economy. Republicans can't block growth forever. Eventually, the economy will catch fire and Republicans will be left in the dust.

-------------------------------------

Side bar

------------------------------------

You have a state, California, who is pushing health care and making it easy to insure it's entire population and one, Texas, who has the most uninsured in the nation trying to stop it's citizens from having health care. Who will benefit economically? Wanna place some bets?

Economy continuing to struggle...
:mad:
Gallup: 14% of Americans Couldn't Last a Week Financially If They Lost Job
April 18, 2014 -- If you lost your job, how long would it be before you couldn't pay your bills?
A new Gallup poll finds that 14 percent of Americans would experience "significant financial hardship" within a week, while another 14 percent said they could make it for more than a year. In the middle, 29 percent said they could last one month; 26 percent said up to four months; and 17 percent said up to one year. Gallup also asked working adults if they're likely to lose their jobs in the next 12 months.

Sixteen percent of workers say they are "very" likely (5%) or "fairly" likely (11%) to lose their job in the next 12 months, down from a peak of 21 percent in 2010. But 84 percent said it was "not too likely" (34%) or "not at all likely" (50%) they will lose their job in the next 12 months. Gallup's analysis of those two job-less questions, in combination, finds that 9 percent of all U.S. workers are "highly vulnerable to a job loss," believing they may lose their and saying they would not be able to make their money last more than a week or a month without one.

But of those who are more secure in their jobs, many more could go longer without experiencing financial hardship. The implications, according to Gallup: "With long-term unemployment a serious problem in recent years, many U.S. workers are not in a position financially to go a month, or even a week, without finding a new job if laid off. That underscores the economic hardship that unemployment of any length can bring on U.S. families, particularly for younger and lower-income workers."

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, created by Congress in 2010, is urging the nation's public and private employers to provide financial education in the workplace. "Workers will be more likely to avoid financial distress if they are better positioned to manage their own finances," CFPB Director Richard Cordray said in a speech in February. "As employers, we can play a critical role in this effort by implementing practices in the workplace that strengthen financial capability."

Cordray specifically mentioned "basic offerings," such as using direct deposit to encourage savings; and educating employees about options with their retirement plans and automatically enrolling them in those plans. He also said employers can expand their wellness programs to include financial wellness. "We want to see more organizations offer financial education benefits and savings options to their employees. We also want them to be much more conscious of the need to ensure that more employees understand and utilize the benefits made available to them," he said. The results of Gallup's annual "Economy and Personal Finance" poll, conducted April 3-6, is based on the responses of a random sample of 509 adults employed full or part time, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.

Gallup: 14% of Americans Couldn't Last a Week Financially If They Lost Job | CNS News

did anyone else know Republicans were going to LOWER the minimum wage?
We know from other threads that the Republicans plans to lower the minimum wage and create lots of low pay, unskilled work is a bust. The cost in food assistance and health care to minimum wage jobs will bankrupt the country. We can't all be Red States.

And with 800,000 fewer government workers, so much for Obama "expanding" the government. They might as well say he's from Kenya. Oh wait.

Imagine what that missing 24 billion could do if only Republicans hadn't shut down the government and tried desperately to drive us over the fiscal cliff.

One thing is clear, whether it's learning a "trade" or getting a degree, Americans need education to grow the economy. Republicans can't block growth forever. Eventually, the economy will catch fire and Republicans will be left in the dust.

just disgustingly dishonest..we were going to be driven over a cliff because the guberment shut down for two weeks

and he's going on about 24 billion lost from the shutdown, well couldn't we have taken that 1.5 trillion it cost to set up that insurance scam called, dearleadercare and made up for the 24billion? oh wait

ohdeargawd shoot me if i ever read another of rdeans threads

Last edited:
did anyone else know Republicans were going to LOWER the minimum wage?

just disgustingly dishonest..we were going to be driven over a cliff because the guberment shut down for two weeks

and he's going on about 24 billion lost from the shutdown, well couldn't we have taken that 1.5 trillion it cost to set up that insurance scam called, dearleadercare and made up for the 24billion? oh wait

ohdeargawd shoot me if i ever read another of rdeans threads
Lets see, Steph. You say it is incorrect that repubs want to lower the min. wage. And since eliminating the min. wage is obviously lowering it, at least to rational folk, lets include making it zero. Then we will know who is nutty. r. dean, or YOU.
Read the following:
The great conservative rag, the National Review, says it should be lowered.
No Minimum-Wage Free Lunch | National Review Online
Then there is Bruce Rauner, running for gov of illinois. He has been RUNNING on lowering the min wage.
Rauner: Cut minimum wage to $7.25 | Bleader | Chicago
Republican on Fox says min wage should be $3.00.
Republican on Fox News says Minimum Wage should be $3/hr - Orlando liberal | Examiner.com
Then there is AEI. Perhaps you have heard of it. The largest conservative "think" tank around. Follow this link and see if you can miss their interest in lowering the minimum wage wherever possible.
A national minimum wage is a bad fit for low-cost communities - Economics - AEI
Then there is Chuck Lane, a well paid con hack who spends much of his time on the Fox "news" Chanel and his blog proposing the republican dream of lowering the min. wage:
PostPartisan - Why not lower the minimum wage?

If you want to know about repubs who want to lower or eliminate the min wage, all you have to do is look. There are lots out there. The above are from page one of a google search. But, on the other hand, most republican politicians know that saying they want to lower the min wage will make them about as popular as a fart in church. So they are VERY CAREFUL about what they let themselves be heard saying in public. But there is no doubt. When you have aei, CATO, and heritige all pushing the concept that lowering or eliminating the min. wage is the best policy, and when you come to the obvious understanding that these are three of the leading conservative policy setting organizations for the repubs, the game is over. Steph looses. Because, in this case, she is WRONG and r. dean is CORRECT.

But then, steph ALWAYS gets her talking points from the bat shit crazy con web sites. ALWAYS.

The
This isn't an indicator of a bad economy, it is an indicator of a culture where many value buying things for instant gratification over having the discipline to save.

What percentage is the threshold for a bad economy? Over 10%? Over 12%? What was this number when the economy was considered good?

Just an arbitrary statistic that only someone who thinks puddle deep would point to as a barometer of macroeconomic health.

The
This isn't an indicator of a bad economy, it is an indicator of a culture where many value buying things for instant gratification over having the discipline to save.

What percentage is the threshold for a bad economy? Over 10%? Over 12%? What was this number when the economy was considered good?

Just an arbitrary statistic that only someone who thinks puddle deep would point to as a barometer of macroeconomic health.
Here you are, me boy. Try to think a bit more broadly, if possible. Problem is, those below the wealthy are getting less and less of the revenue generated. Makes it harder and harder to have something left each month. To most, a simple reality and easy to understand. To folks like you, it seems beyond their capability to grasp. There are thousands of articles out there, all talking about the issue. Only the bat shit crazy con web sites, paid for by the wealthy, suggest it is no problem. Kind of tells you where you have been trolling.

Here is one fairly short but concise article that explains the problem, based on a concept that may be new to you. It is called a STUDY. And the source is mainstream, not the type you like. Simple truthful data, not partisan tripe:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-02/top-1-got-93-of-income-growth-as-rich-poor-gap-widened.html

Last edited:
Only the bat shit crazy con web sites, paid for by the wealthy, suggest it is no problem. Kind of tells you where you have been trolling.
Only a simple-minded dumbfuck would know my posting pattern and claim I troll con websites.

You are a simple-minded dumbfuck, so that makes sense. A glance at your reputation to post ratio indicates everyone else on this forum also thinks you are a simple-minded dumbfuck and a worthless contributor to this forum. That seems to come from both sides of the ideological spectrum.

Me-boy.

So... what percentage of people couldn't last a week if they lost their job 10 years ago? What is the average in a good economy? Surely even someone as shallow as you can manage to provide these numbers since you give credit to it as an economic indicator.

Me-boy.

Only the bat shit crazy con web sites, paid for by the wealthy, suggest it is no problem. Kind of tells you where you have been trolling.
Only a simple-minded dumbfuck would know my posting pattern and claim I troll con websites.

You are a simple-minded dumbfuck, so that makes sense. A glance at your reputation to post ratio indicates everyone else on this forum also thinks you are a simple-minded dumbfuck and a worthless contributor to this forum. That seems to come from both sides of the ideological spectrum.

Me-boy.

So... what percentage of people couldn't last a week if they lost their job 10 years ago? What is the average in a good economy? Surely even someone as shallow as you can manage to provide these numbers since you give credit to it as an economic indicator.

Me-boy.
First, me boy, I did not suggest that the inability to last a week was an economic indicator. That would be a lie on your part. Which is no surprise. Cons tend to have low integrity. What it does is make someone with half a mind (I know, that leaves you out) to wonder a bit about what is happening to those who can not last a week in terms of income and wealth. I know, I know, you do not get the linkage.
So, I simply provided you a link, one of thousands of articles out there at this point in time, just in case you had intellectual curiosity about the subject. Stupid mistake on my part. I know you have no intellectual curiosity. About much of anything. So I will not try to educate you again. Can't educate ignorance.

And please, me boy, do not bore people with reputation and post ratio's. Only the terminally stupid care. Which, of course, explains your intrigue with the subject.

First, me boy, I did not suggest that the inability to last a week was an economic indicator.
Ahh, when I pointed out it wasn't you came rolling in during your ridiculous "me boy" routine wagging your finger, apparently you got confused glad we're on the same page.

Fun = I see you're still too narrow minded and lacking in dymaic thought enough to be able to address anything in the world in anything but shades "con" or "lib" man that must be a sad shallow existence, eh me tard?

Forum List

Back