Seriously bicycle license are coming

I don't really know how they could enforce something like that, because not every cyclist that travels through NYC is actually from there.

As far as the bicycle helmets? Personally, I think it is a good idea. Why? Because you are 3 feet off the ground, traveling at 10 mph or greater. Most decent cyclists are able to cruise at the 17 to 25 mph range, and falling 3 feet off of your bike at 10 to 25 mph can cause serious damage to your skull. I have ridden a bicycle since 1986 at the level of a racer, and have had a couple of accidents where if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I might not be here today.

Life is, above all things, a very temporary situation. In the grand scheme of things, a tootsie roll pop has more permanence than a human life.

No matter how many rules we pass, how many things we ban, or how hard we wish it were otherwise, we can't change that.

It should be everyone's own choice how much fun they have going out. Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet ... personal freedom, y'all.
Tell it to the guy who has to scrape your brains off the sidewalk

NYC is very congested with many commercial bike riders.
If you ride in Central Park, who cares?
But ride on public streets, you should have a helmet

If you are traveling along at 15 mph or more, and not wearing a helmet, you aren't the brightest crayon in the box.

Or ... you're just worried about having helmet hair.

That also has an easy fix. Get a do rag and wear it under your helmet. Granted, you may end up with flat hair, but you can poof it back up with a comb or a brush.

I remember that one time I was going down the road at around 23 mph one winter (from 1987 until 1999, I rode a bicycle everywhere I went, by choice, and that included traveling from one duty station to another), and I hit a patch of black ice. Well, the bike went down, and I flew through the air and tried to put my head through a curb.

Luckily, I had just started to wear helmets as my speed was getting up there, and instead of cracking open my skull, I cracked a hard shell Vetta helmet in half.

No helmets!

upload_2019-9-9_17-37-4.png

..if it is lawful for them to be on the road with cars, they should
..I rode my bike almost everyday to work and back--staying clear of the cars/away fron the cars/etc
..it is IDIOCY to allow bikes to be on the road with cars--if i need to explain why, you are an idiot ....like a lot of laws--sounds good on paper, but in reality = idiocy--FOR cities without many bikers

..we have bike lanes in our city --all over--and very few/no godamn bikers!!!!!!!!!!!!!--so it screws over the cars
...then during rush hour --when I do see ONE jackass biker--he's holding up traffic !!! = idiocy
----BUT, if one of these jackasses were in a car and you were going slow, they would freak out

..I rode my bike almost everyday to work and back--staying clear of the cars/away fron the cars/etc
..it is IDIOCY to allow bikes to be on the road with cars--if i need to explain why, you are an idiot ....like a lot of laws--sounds good on paper, but in reality = idiocy--FOR cities without many bikers

A decent cyclist can have a cruising speed anywhere from 17 to 25 mph. For many years, my cruising speed was around 22 mph. And, while it may sound like a good idea for bicycles to ride on the sidewalk, it's really not, because not only do you have to deal with pedestrians, but it is damn near impossible to get any kind of speed on a sidewalk.

Believe it or not, but riding on the side of the road, in the same direction traffic is flowing is the safest way to ride.

A decent cyclist can have a cruising speed anywhere from 17 to 25 mph. For many years, my cruising speed was around 22 mph. And, while it may sound like a good idea for bicycles to ride on the sidewalk, it's really not, because not only do you have to deal with pedestrians, but it is damn near impossible to get any kind of speed on a sidewalk.

Believe it or not, but riding on the side of the road, in the same direction traffic is flowing is the safest way to ride.
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all the cars have to go into the other lane !!!
they slow down the whole lane
I had some jackass biker at night flip me off as I turned in front of him--at night--you can barely see their tiny stupid lights---and this jackass had none

and the speed limits are 35 to 45!!!!!
and ---please BK, are you going to tell me you always go the speed limit???!!!

I guess you are an ***** and I have to explain it to you
bikes :
much smaller
much slower
much less weight
no safety gear like a car has
bikes are very DISPARATE --bikes on roads is like a VW Rabbit in the Indy 500 = STUPID

I had some jackass biker at night flip me off as I turned in front of him--at night--you can barely see their tiny stupid lights---and this jackass had none

Actually, most of the time when a car passes me, they are still in their original lane, and I usually only have a couple of feet to maneuver in. And, to tell you the truth, even in heavy traffic times here in Amarillo, nobody ever has to slow down because of me.

As far as the guy riding at night that you could barely see? That is a representative of the minority of cyclists. I personally wear day glow colored jerseys in all sorts of neon colors that you can see for at least a mile. And, when I go out at night, I have lights on my bike that blink in a really off beat pattern that is guaranteed to get the attention of anyone behind me. And, they are super bright LEDs that can be seen for around a half mile at night. I also have a jacket for night time riding that is made of 100 percent reflective material. A headlight hits my jacket, you can DEFINITELY see me.

As far as flipping people off? I rarely do that, but, if some jackass passes me close and beeps their horn when they are next to me, trying to scare me? It won't scare me much, as I have many years of riding experience, but it will piss me off to the point that I will tell you that you are number one with a one fingered salute.

maybe on back roads--but not busy streets
....I go a back road but it's busy sometimes at rush hour--we had a jackass biker there and everyone HAD to swerve to get around him
....and it's impolite--what if I was going 15 in a 30!!!!??? YOU would be pissed--don't lie --YOU would be pissed if you were behind me

Actually, most of the time when a car passes me, they are still in their original lane, and I usually only have a couple of feet to maneuver in. And, to tell you the truth, even in heavy traffic times here in Amarillo, nobody ever has to slow down because of me.

As far as the guy riding at night that you could barely see? That is a representative of the minority of cyclists. I personally wear day glow colored jerseys in all sorts of neon colors that you can see for at least a mile. And, when I go out at night, I have lights on my bike that blink in a really off beat pattern that is guaranteed to get the attention of anyone behind me. And, they are super bright LEDs that can be seen for around a half mile at night. I also have a jacket for night time riding that is made of 100 percent reflective material. A headlight hits my jacket, you can DEFINITELY see me.

As far as flipping people off? I rarely do that, but, if some jackass passes me close and beeps their horn when they are next to me, trying to scare me? It won't scare me much, as I have many years of riding experience, but it will piss me off to the point that I will tell you that you are number one with a one fingered salute.
1. they have to SLOW down!!!
BULLSHIT again--jesus f christ--they HAVE to swerve--this is NOT how traffic is supposed to be

...I honk and yell FU at the jackasses --they are IMPOLITE in the first place
...like a lot of laws---looks good on paper--but in reality STUPID
and I rode my bike to and from work almost everyday for years

....I go a back road but it's busy sometimes at rush hour--we had a jackass biker there and everyone HAD to swerve to get around him
....and it's impolite--what if I was going 15 in a 30!!!!??? YOU would be pissed--don't lie --YOU would be pissed if you were behind me

Actually, if you were doing 15 in a 30 mph zone, I wouldn't get upset. I would simply pass you and keep on going down the road. I've been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 53 mph drafting behind a truck, could hit 48 mph on my own in a sprint for the finish line, and cruising speed was around 22 mph.

Today, my cruising speed is anywhere from 17 to 25 mph, but anything above 22 I can only keep up for a mile or two.

And, sometimes when I'm riding my loop, I actually DO pass some cars when I'm heading home with a good tailwind.

Actually, if you were doing 15 in a 30 mph zone, I wouldn't get upset. I would simply pass you and keep on going down the road. I've been clocked at 66 mph going downhill, 53 mph drafting behind a truck, could hit 48 mph on my own in a sprint for the finish line, and cruising speed was around 22 mph.

Today, my cruising speed is anywhere from 17 to 25 mph, but anything above 22 I can only keep up for a mile or two.

And, sometimes when I'm riding my loop, I actually DO pass some cars when I'm heading home with a good tailwind.
bullshit --you would get upset--you are not inhuman
you sound like someone trying say hitler wasn't that bad
....the cars swerve and have to get CLOSE to the oncoming cars--you make it seem like it's ok
....NO ONE likes it when traffic is slowed/etc

....the cars swerve and have to get CLOSE to the oncoming cars--you make it seem like it's ok

You have never met me in person, so you really don't know what I would or wouldn't do, you just have your assumptions, and you are basing them on what you have seen other cyclists do. And no, traffic doesn't slow down when I'm on the road. Haven't seen one have to slow down since I started riding back in 1986.

Matter of fact, one of my favorite things to do when I was on base was to blow past the base police at 35 to 40 mph, because the speed limit on base was 30 mph. I never got a ticket, but I did get several stern warnings.

You have never met me in person, so you really don't know what I would or wouldn't do, you just have your assumptions, and you are basing them on what you have seen other cyclists do. And no, traffic doesn't slow down when I'm on the road. Haven't seen one have to slow down since I started riding back in 1986.

Matter of fact, one of my favorite things to do when I was on base was to blow past the base police at 35 to 40 mph, because the speed limit on base was 30 mph. I never got a ticket, but I did get several stern warnings.
..fact--if a bike is on the street/close to the lanes it slows down traffic--plain and simple
you are lying --plain and simple

They should. They travel on the sides of the roads and could cause accidents, and so they should pay for fixing the roads.

Yes, all those 18 pound Schwinns are absolutely tearing the crap out of our road system! Especially when blind crazed texting motorists like Penelope run them over driving their helmets into the asphalt!

Forum List

Back