Should "IQ" Be a Dirty Word?

Someone who can answer this question may be considered to have a high IQ

riq3.png

But someone who can figure out why a car keeps stalling is not considered high IQ
I would say the person that can diagnose why a car keeps stalling....and other car malfunctions is pretty smart. However, that ability often comes with experience. I think the answer to the question above is #5, but I have a lot of experience at taking test and recognizing patterns.

riq3.png

But someone who can figure out why a car keeps stalling is not considered high IQ
I would say the person that can diagnose why a car keeps stalling....and other car malfunctions is pretty smart. However, that ability often comes with experience. I think the answer to the question above is #5, but I have a lot of experience at taking test and recognizing patterns.
Agree, I have always done well on IQ tests and would have answered 5
But while I can correctly answer these obscure IQ questions, I am unable to figure out why my car has been stalling.

Someone in Africa may fail miserably at these types of IQ tests but can tell you how to survive in extreme drought conditions

riq3.png

But while I can correctly answer these obscure IQ questions, I am unable to figure out why my car has been stalling.

Someone in Africa may fail miserably at these types of IQ tests but can tell you how to survive in extreme drought conditions
IQ is not the same as wisdom. They were taught how to survive in extreme drought conditions. IQ can't be taught.

riq3.png

IQ is not the same as wisdom. They were taught how to survive in extreme drought conditions. IQ can't be taught.

Again, I do not consider the way they calculate IQ as a definitive measure of intelligence. There are other types of intelligence that those tests don’t measure. How you interact with other people, leadership, art or musical skills.......all involve intelligence not measured by abstract tests

riq3.png

Again, I do not consider the way they calculate IQ as a definitive measure of intelligence. There are other types of intelligence that those tests don’t measure. How you interact with other people, leadership, art or musical skills.......all involve intelligence not measured by abstract tests
IQ is supposed to judge your ability to learn new things.
Not judge your character, tastes, or point of view as your examples do.

riq3.png

I have always done well on those tests......I just get it

But I can’t play a stinking note musically. I just don’t get it
I have no artistic ability.
But many artists have IQs off the chart in their areas

In today's academic climate, anyone using the words "IQ" and "race" in the same sentence is presumed to be a racist.

But what if we removed the "race" element completely? What if we examined how kids are doing in comparison with their relative IQ's, ignoring race altogether?

What if "failing" schools are not failing because of the race of the majority of students, but because of the average IQ of the students? Looking at it that way, the focus would be to identify the students in those schools with the greatest potential, and see that they have the opportunity to succeed according the their abilities. As for the remainkng students, the curriculum could be tailored to their strengths and weaknesses, without fretting about whether their average test scores fall below state-wide averages. Who cares?

Take race out of the discussion. Stop reporting scores by race; there is nothing to be gained by it.
I think it applies to more than race but the socioeconomic status of your parents. Many students in poor areas perform poorly on IQ tests regardless of race.

being talented is not the same thing as having a high IQ.
Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. being good at something doesn't mean you have a high IQ.

In today's academic climate, anyone using the words "IQ" and "race" in the same sentence is presumed to be a racist.

But what if we removed the "race" element completely? What if we examined how kids are doing in comparison with their relative IQ's, ignoring race altogether?

What if "failing" schools are not failing because of the race of the majority of students, but because of the average IQ of the students? Looking at it that way, the focus would be to identify the students in those schools with the greatest potential, and see that they have the opportunity to succeed according the their abilities. As for the remainkng students, the curriculum could be tailored to their strengths and weaknesses, without fretting about whether their average test scores fall below state-wide averages. Who cares?

Take race out of the discussion. Stop reporting scores by race; there is nothing to be gained by it.
I think it applies to more than race but the socioeconomic status of your parents. Many students in poor areas perform poorly on IQ tests regardless of race.
Nutrition is a major factor as well.

Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. being good at something doesn't mean you have a high IQ.

Great musicians are more than talented at playing notes

But their ability to do so has nothing to do with intelligence or IQ.

Many of these IQ threads are used as a way to say.......black people are dumb

They will point to IQ scores in Africa and giggle

But the tests measure what it takes to succeed in our society. It doesn’t measure the intelligence factors that are critical in their societies.

That is the point

They have intelligence that is not measured

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

That is the point

Musical ability has nothing to do with intelligence but everything to do with talent. Folks can be awesome musicians without being smart.

Intelligent intelligence testing

"So the criticism of the discrepancy model is correct, says Alan Kaufman, but it misses the real issue: whether or not intelligence tests, when properly administered and interpreted, can be useful.

"The movement that's trying to get rid of IQ tests is failing to understand that these tests are valid in the hands of a competent practitioner who can go beyond the numbers--or at least use the numbers to understand what makes the person tick, to integrate those test scores with the kind of child you're looking at, and to blend those behaviors with the scores to make useful recommendations," he says."

Well those competent practitioners do not have membership at USMB.

That is the point

Musical ability has nothing to do with intelligence but everything to do with talent. Folks can be awesome musicians without being smart.

That is incorrect.

Musical ability can be considered a type of intelligence.

Musical ability can be considered a type of intelligence.

This is a good example of the biggest problem: intelligence is not clearly defined, meaning it cannot be accurately measured.

It's easy to have someone lift weights and see how much they can lift. Everyone can be made to perform the same test in the same way (absent some exceptions for physical limitations). With intelligence tests, you might see who can figure out a pattern, and how quickly, but what is that measuring? Is it intelligence, or one aspect of intelligence, or simply a way of thinking?

If someone works out and is able to lift more weight, they are stronger. If someone spends time studying pattern recognition, then takes another IQ test that involves determining patterns, have they become more intelligent?

Forum List

Back