Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

It's not paranoid or delusional if it's true.
How many bakers are there? If one doesnt want the job for any reason, you go to the next one. Unless you're a homo activist with an agenda to punish people for their beliefs. In that case you bring suit and make a federal case out of it.

Oh puhleese, nobody is seeking out homophobes...they're just stumbling upon them as they try to go about their lives and plan their weddings.

Not their fault they keep finding people that are breaking the laws of their state.

So instead of just finding someone else they make a federal case out of it. Right?

Really? Some of these cases have reached the Federal level? Breaking the law is breaking the law, bubba. Don't like it, change the law. Start with the Civil Rights and Americans with Disabilities Act. Wouldn't want to look like this is only about "the gheys", right?

Like it or not, 13 states plus the District of Columbia have laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in public accommodations. ALL of them ban discrimination in public accommodation based on race, color, religion, or national origin.

If you don't like the laws, you've got A LOT of repealing to do...

So instead of just choosing another provider they bring charges. Do you really want someone who disapproves of what you do making your wedding cake?

Oh puhleese, nobody is seeking out homophobes...they're just stumbling upon them as they try to go about their lives and plan their weddings.

Not their fault they keep finding people that are breaking the laws of their state.

So instead of just finding someone else they make a federal case out of it. Right?

Really? Some of these cases have reached the Federal level? Breaking the law is breaking the law, bubba. Don't like it, change the law. Start with the Civil Rights and Americans with Disabilities Act. Wouldn't want to look like this is only about "the gheys", right?

The homos deliberately brought suit to punish the provider. So your imaginings about paranoia were of course wrong. Anyone who entertains notions that homosexuality is wrong ought to move out of those states because their businesses are in jeopardy.

The homos deliberately brought suit to punish the provider. So your imaginings about paranoia were of course wrong. Anyone who entertains notions that homosexuality is wrong ought to move out of those states because their businesses are in jeopardy.

They didn't go looking for a homophobe, they found one and they sued. Would you expect an interracial couple to sue the same baker if he refused them? Would you want them to just slink off and find someone who is more tolerant of their "lifestyle"?

The law is the law...change the law if you don't like it. You gonna pick on just the queers in your quest against public accommodation or you gonna start at the top with the two biggies? Hurry, I want to deny services to intolerant religious assholes!

They didn't go looking for a homophobe, they found one and they sued. Would you expect an interracial couple to sue the same baker if he refused them? Would you want them to just slink off and find someone who is more tolerant of their "lifestyle"?

The law is the law...change the law if you don't like it. You gonna pick on just the queers in your quest against public accommodation or you gonna start at the top with the two biggies? Hurry, I want to deny services to intolerant religious assholes!

More inappropriate analogy to civil rights. You really need a new gig here.
Yes, I would expect them to say He doesnt want our business for whatever reason so we'll find someone who does. It's certainly what I would do.

Like it or not, 13 states plus the District of Columbia have laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in public accommodations. ALL of them ban discrimination in public accommodation based on race, color, religion, or national origin.

If you don't like the laws, you've got A LOT of repealing to do...

So instead of just choosing another provider they bring charges. Do you really want someone who disapproves of what you do making your wedding cake?

No, and I'm sure they've already used another baker, but they still get to sue the bigot as well.

Should the Civil Rights Act and the ADA have ever been passed, yes or no?

Yes, I would expect them to say He doesnt want our business for whatever reason so we'll find someone who does. It's certainly what I would do.

So are you in favor of getting rid of all these public accommodation laws or not? Every one protects race, gender and religion but a few protect the gays as well. Which one will you attempt to abolish first, just the gay ones or the biggies?

So are you in favor of getting rid of all these public accommodation laws or not? Every one protects race, gender and religion but a few protect the gays as well. Which one will you attempt to abolish first, just the gay ones or the biggies?

I am in favor of people not getting sued because they act on their beliefs. For the record I am against public accomodation laws of all kinds as well as an infringement on rights of property and association.
You'e already stated you have no principles other than Gimme.

I am in favor of people not getting sued because they act on their beliefs. For the record I am against public accomodation laws of all kinds as well as an infringement on rights of property and association.

Great! Me too. Let's get rid of them. Fuck the cripples and the religious crazies. I don't want them in my establishment.

Of course, PA laws have already been challenged and found Constitutional so while I do support your effort to get rid of these laws, I'm going to have to just cheer lead from the sidelines. Best of luck.

In the meantime...don't break the law and you won't get sued.

Great! Me too. Let's get rid of them. Fuck the cripples and the religious crazies. I don't want them in my establishment.

Of course, PA laws have already been challenged and found Constitutional so while I do support your effort to get rid of these laws, I'm going to have to just cheer lead from the sidelines. Best of luck.

ANother victory for the homo lobby.

"We are gay and getting married and we are going to force you to work there"
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
A wedding is planned months ahead of time. With the hundreds of businesses wanting the work NO ONE will want to hire someone or some company that does not want to be there.
You people do not think before you post this nonsense.

If you were dealing with people who didnt have an agenda you'd be correct. But the homo lobby wants to punish anyone who doesnt see it their way. They will seek out the little baker or caterer with a strong Christian affiliation and make an example out of them. We've already seen it.

So since a very few will do that you want to punish all of them for the actions of a few.
Same as SOME Christians will not shop at Jewish businesses, deny Muslim mosques building permits in their cities and many other things that are done wrong.
You support punishing everyone for the actions of a few.
Respectfully, that is exactly what you want to do and it is wrong to punish an entire group of people based on the actions of very few.
Claiming ALL gays and lesbians want to do that is absurd.

I refused to paint the portrait of a lesbian couple. I got sued. I won. How do you figure that happened? Didn't I break the law?

Businesses just have to be more clever about following their beliefs. They have to find ways of following the exact letter of the law while still maintaining their integrity. My mechanic does it. He refuses to work for black people. He made a business decision that mechanic services to blacks was more trouble than it was worth. The Civil Rights laws don't apply to him.

These laws and lawsuits only serve to deepen the divisions already present. Gays won't get anything they aren't entitled to get and they are not entitled to the services of someone else. We haven't had slavery in this country for a long time now.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
A wedding is planned months ahead of time. With the hundreds of businesses wanting the work NO ONE will want to hire someone or some company that does not want to be there.

I agree overall. In most cases, you probably want a vendor who is going to be okay with what you are doing.

But the weight of the law should be on the side of the couples.

Imagine this scenario. You hire a photographer for the wedding, who didn't know that when Pat was marrying Sally, they were both chicks. He stomps out of the wedding, and all you have to remember that special day with are dozens of badly focused IPhone pics on Facebook.

Then sue the photographer in civil court for taking the assignment and failing to fulfill his contract.
And win. The weight of the law is already there in that area.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Of course, absolutely, gays will pass on businesses that want them and find that one that doesn't. The gay activist lobby wants to prove a point. They want to find someone adverse to their business and FORCE them to provide services. Just to show they can. To make an example of the business person. This is what happens when you follow your conscience. We will end your livelihood.

The gay boogeyman issue.
Lord have mercy, if a straight heterosexual male, married for 37 years, raised 3 kids, flannel shirt wearing, bacco chewing, beer swillin, Makers Mark sippin, fishin, huntin, farmin, former pigskin playin country boy redneck lookin guy like me can get over this and accept gay folks as equals anyone can.
They are people and they are not recruiting or causing problems.
Their only agenda is to be left the hell alone and have equal rights.
Geez, we are in shooting wars, the debt is catastrophic, education is a problem, people are going bankrupt over medical bills, gas is back up to $3.60 a gallon and folks are worried about 2 people that love and are committed to each other wanting to get married.
FUBAR

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I agree overall. In most cases, you probably want a vendor who is going to be okay with what you are doing.

Imagine this scenario. You hire a photographer for the wedding, who didn't know that when Pat was marrying Sally, they were both chicks. He stomps out of the wedding, and all you have to remember that special day with are dozens of badly focused IPhone pics on Facebook.

Then sue the photographer in civil court for taking the assignment and failing to fulfill his contract.

There is a photographer in my art group. He refuses to perform services for same sex weddings. Since he adjusted his business practices to insulate himself from lawsuits, he doesn't have to. Of course Pat and Sally can't waltz into his business and hire him either. He's made a change in the way he does business. In the way he advertises and in what services he offers.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Of course, absolutely, gays will pass on businesses that want them and find that one that doesn't. The gay activist lobby wants to prove a point. They want to find someone adverse to their business and FORCE them to provide services. Just to show they can. To make an example of the business person. This is what happens when you follow your conscience. We will end your livelihood.

Sort of like the right to life folk that scream in 15 year old girls faces "YOU ARE KILLING YOUR BABY" in front of abortion clinics and are holding up pictures of bloody fetuses at college football games so 90,000 fans can see them?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

A photographer who has already contracted out later finds that it's a same sex couple should simply subcontract the assignment to another photographer. Photographers know pretty much early on who the bride and groom are going to be.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sort of like the right to life folk that scream in 15 year old girls faces "YOU ARE KILLING YOUR BABY" in front of abortion clinics and are holding up pictures of bloody fetuses at college football games so 90,000 fans can see them?

Now that makes no sense at all. If you want to create a comparison, it would be someone looking to get an abortion going through the phone directory to identify some doctor who doesn't do abortions, then going to his office and demanding that he or she perform your abortion.

Forum List

Back