Should people who self identify as having a mental condition associated with high rates of suicide be denied firearms purchases?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I'm thinking of psychotic disorder, substance use disorder, gender dysphoria, depression, and bipolar.

Would that be an example of a common sense gun law that there could be consensus for?

If a mental illness professional diagnoses someone as such, then I think it would be prudent to deny that person a firearm purchase. That person should have the right to appeal the denial and get a 2nd opinion.

If a mental illness professional diagnoses someone as such, then I think it would be prudent to deny that person a firearm purchase. That person should have the right to appeal the denial and get a 2nd opinion.
I would also deny if the person self identifies. Not for all disorders bit certainly for those with high rates of suicide.

Even taking a pure libertarian stance, suicide by gun isn't victimless. Someone has to clean up after you

BugsNo.jpg

I'm thinking of psychotic disorder, substance use disorder, gender dysphoria, depression, and bipolar.

Would that be an example of a common sense gun law that there could be consensus for?
Veterans with PTSD

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a disorder that develops in some people who have experienced a shocking, scary, or dangerous event. It is natural to feel afraid during and after a traumatic situation. Fear triggers many split-second changes in the body to help defend against danger or to avoid it.

Curious: How would/does "gender dysphoria" pose a dangerous threat (with guns) to society?

A long as
Republican
MAGAT
'conservative"

Are included in the list.

NO!
That would be an infringement on their 2nd. amendment rights.

And in fact, nobody should be restricted from buying a gun!

At worst, the type of gun they choose might be considered as to the use the suicide candidate as to it's intended use.

However, it's the 'Saturday night special' that is always going to be readily available within the hour.

Does the OP have a concern about suicides? Can a concern be discussed here?

Forum List

Back