Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
You do not understand the accepted definitions, terms, and facts, because you don't like what they say. Tough. They will not change, and you will no power about it.
You'll accept whatever supports your opinion. Everything else is discarded. You're dishonest.

I'm OK with religion being taught in school as long as atheists get to teach children there is no God
They already do.

OK children.....today we are going to learn the bible is a fairy tale and God is just made up by adults.
More like this.

Well children...a magical creature created us out of clay and watches over us every day. So you better be good for goodness sake

Last edited:
You do not understand the accepted definitions, terms, and facts, because you don't like what they say. Tough. They will not change, and you will no power about it.
You'll accept whatever supports your opinion. Everything else is discarded. You're dishonest.
Only by your distored confirmation bias opinions. You don't get your own definitions and facts. Ever.

I'm OK with religion being taught in school as long as atheists get to teach children there is no God
They already do.

OK children.....today we are going to learn the bible is a fairy tale and God is just made up by adults.
More like this.

Well children...a magical creature created us out of clay and watches over us every day
Yes, many believe that opinion.

They already do.

More like this.

Well children...a magical creature created us out of clay and watches over us every day

I've never advocated for any religion to be taught in school. Why do you insist that I do? The fact is that NOBODY can explain how man (or any other life) originated, but being a liberal, your arrogance dictates you have the right to lie and advance a theory as fact.

Remind us Jake why if you are opposed to religious classes why you SUPPORT every single time a teacher forces a student or class to do something about Islam in class?

Remind us Jake why if you are opposed to religious classes why you SUPPORT every single time a teacher forces a student or class to do something about Islam in class?
Want to point that out, son? You silly old geezer. You are simply pissed I put a stop to class credit equivalency for LDS seminary in East Texas public schools. I would do the same if it were Islamic or Jewish or any Christian denomination.

If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever.

Lying reveals your old mind is slipping.

They already do.

More like this.

I've never advocated for any religion to be taught in school. Why do you insist that I do? The fact is that NOBODY can explain how man (or any other life) originated, but being a liberal, your arrogance dictates you have the right to lie and advance a theory as fact.

What is the purpose of this thread?

Want to point that out, son? You silly old geezer. You are simply pissed I put a stop to class credit equivalency for LDS seminary in East Texas public schools. I would do the same if it were Islamic or Jewish or any Christian denomination.

If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever.

You deny that every single time we have had a thread where a school or teacher created or forced their students to Islamic verses, Islamic cloths Islamic songs or Islamic teachings you did NOT in fact support the school or teacher?

Scriptures were taught in American schools once upon a time. Take the McGuffey reader, for example, as with other primers.

Only the progressive left raised a stink about it, especially since the Progressive Era.

I don't remember that we had religion classes in the public schools I attended.

We did have a mythology section in the fifth or sixth grade that wowed me.

Should we have religions classes, modified, or not in public school?

11954586_998497163547004_5479437135690517870_n.jpg

I don't remember much about religion being taught as such in school but it was a long time ago. I DO think, however, religion does need to be taught in order to understand history because so much of history revolves around religious differences, war, persecution and freedom. Our country was built upon the concept of religious freedom - how can you understand that if you don't understand persecution and the different religions and sects?

That is not the same as teaching "doctrine" per se.

If we are to learn about our own history - we should understand the Quakers, the Mennonites, the many different religous groups that came here to escape persecution. Otherwise freedom of religion is meaningless.

If we are to learn about European history - we have to learn about the Catholics and the Protestants and the divisions that led to many great wars.

If we are to learn about other cultures - to be able to put ourselves in other's shoes - it behooves us to understand their religion because religion, language and culture are closely intertwined.

People get all upset if students learn ANYTHING about Islamic culture (or, anything that is more complex than "Islam is evil") - but how can we be exected to understand our neighbors if we don't understand their religion? We are a majority Christian country....we don't need to "understand" Christianity because we are overwelmingly Christian in culture. But how many of us really understand Judaism? Hinduism? Buddhism? Islam? What is it like to walk in the shoes of a young person of those religions? I think there is a lot of value in teaching that.

You deny that every single time we have had a thread where a school or teacher created or forced their students to Islamic verses, Islamic cloths Islamic songs or Islamic teachings you did NOT in fact support the school or teacher?
"If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever." I support the public curriculum. You don't?

And you, although you know better, accuse me of Mormon bashing, when, in fact, I am one of your best gentile defenders.

It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.

As a substitute teacher, I have seen several texts, several tests. I have never seen anything other than the theory of evolution, but I realize that "several" does not equate to "all."

I'm going to shock some people and say history of religion should be taught in school. We send kids to school because we can't rely solely on parents to raise their kids right. Many parents are retarded. They teach their kids crazy shit their parents taught them and their parents learned that stuff from their parents and so on. So we send our kids to school to learn the facts.

So teach the history of religion and all the different religions.

The final chapter will be atheism. And ask any usmb theist if atheism is just another religion. They seem to think it is.

Knowledge is power. Give them all the facts and many will shed that lie their parents fed them.

Or we could just leave God out of school. I'm starting to like the idea of teaching the masses about religions. You sure you want that?

What's the difference between mythology and religion?
Mythology happened a long time ago. No date. Moses happened supposedly 7000 years ago give or take a few thousand years, Jesus 2000, Mohammad 500 and Joseph Smith 200.

I bet debating if there was a creator was fun before Moses Joseph Mary Mohammad lied and said he visited.

I think kids in school should all take a class and debate and ask questions.

I wonder how many freshman still believe in Santa.

Anyways, there is no more important subject if you take theists word for it. So why avoid a subject that is apparently so important? But atheists Muslims Jew mormans and Jehovahs all get a say too.

Why not educate the masses on this midevil superstition

It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.

As a substitute teacher, I have seen several texts, several tests. I have never seen anything other than the theory of evolution, but I realize that "several" does not equate to "all."
As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.

As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.
Evolution is science, yeah, and your idea of instruction is indoctrination, yeah. You cannot critically think. You have never shown the ability. Simply, you are a mess: you believe what you believe, and so be it.

Forum List

Back