Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
This is what you said. I would say that qualifies as "somewhat limited".

Most teachers only teach in one State. In fact most teach only in one city and one school. I have only taught in one State, but several cities/towns, and even more schools. Therefore, by necessity I have seen more books than many. However, I have not seen all books. Have you?

It's not settled science but it's taught as settled science and that is dishonest.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol
Not that this is worthy of a response, but anyone can throw a ball up and watch it fall to see that there's gravity. Any more stupid analogies?
It is a theory, same as evolution. We are here which means evolution has as much meaning as gravity and electric principles.

So with gravity which theory do you support? Oh you just accept it and think by knowing anything more about it would be nonsense. This line of thinking is flawed, you would not be using your computer if we just accepted things and would live like wild animals. Yet you are typing on a theoritical principled device. Lol

Most teachers only teach in one State. In fact most teach only in one city and one school. I have only taught in one State, but several cities/towns, and even more schools. Therefore, by necessity I have seen more books than many. However, I have not seen all books. Have you?
I don't need to see "all of them". And you lost your credibility regarding the educational system with your conflicting statements about your experience so I'm no longer interested in discussing that topic with you but if you want to debate evolution, start a thread on it and I'll participate.

It's not settled science but it's taught as settled science and that is dishonest.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol
Not that this is worthy of a response, but anyone can throw a ball up and watch it fall to see that there's gravity. Any more stupid analogies?
It is a theory, same as evolution. We are here which means evolution has as much meaning as gravity and electric principles.

So with gravity which theory do you support? Oh you just accept it and think by knowing anything more about it would be nonsense. This line of thinking is flawed, you would not be using your computer if we just accepted things and would live like wild animals. Yet you are typing on a theoritical principled device. Lol
Give it up, dude. I'm not gonna debate a child.

Why is there so much hate against refugees

That's not the problem. The problem is distrust is because world governments are unable to distinguish refugees from terrorists. People, as a whole, are more than willing to reach out to those in need. They are unwilling to become victims themselves. When governments can accurately identify who's who, trust will then return.
Let's say, God forbid, America is attacked and invaded. Would the Muslims walk across the border and leave America for greener pastures?

I don't need to see "all of them". And you lost your credibility regarding the educational system with your conflicting statements about your experience so I'm no longer interested in discussing that topic with you but if you want to debate evolution, start a thread on it and I'll participate.

Lol

A child? Lol. You can't answer, so you result to insults, with no evidence, typical response by most supposed Christians.

I could make a thread on evolution, but you will believe what you will. And stay ignorant on what theories actually are. Yet you believe in God, kids believe in Santa clause and magic too, God is just like Santa, kids believe because presents always end up under a tree and act good all year just to get a present. Lol and you call me a child....lol...I do not need presents or threats to be a good person. If your God wants to fill his place with people like that, sounds terrible, and I am glad you believe.

Lol

A child? Lol. You can't answer, so you result to insults, with no evidence, typical response by most supposed Christians.

I could make a thread on evolution, but you will believe what you will. And stay ignorant on what theories actually are. Yet you believe in God, kids believe in Santa clause and magic too, God is just like Santa, kids believe because presents always end up under a tree and act good all year just to get a present. Lol and you call me a child....lol...I do not need presents or threats to be a good person. If your God wants to fill his place with people like that, sounds terrible, and I am glad you believe.
Yes, a child. You assume because I'm not willing to dignify your adolescent comments with an answer that I have no answer. Welcome to ignore.

Remind us Jake why if you are opposed to religious classes why you SUPPORT every single time a teacher forces a student or class to do something about Islam in class?
Want to point that out, son? You silly old geezer. You are simply pissed I put a stop to class credit equivalency for LDS seminary in East Texas public schools. I would do the same if it were Islamic or Jewish or any Christian denomination.

If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever.

Lying reveals your old mind is slipping.
You deny that every single time we have had a thread where a school or teacher created or forced their students to Islamic verses, Islamic cloths Islamic songs or Islamic teachings you did NOT in fact support the school or teacher?
"If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever." I support the public curriculum. You don't?

And you, although you know better, accuse me of Mormon bashing, when, in fact, I am one of your best gentile defenders.
Be specific, very specific, EXACTLY where, quote it for us, did I attack you about Mormons at all in this thread? Come on you should have no trouble since this is the second time you have made the claim.

Remind us Jake why if you are opposed to religious classes why you SUPPORT every single time a teacher forces a student or class to do something about Islam in class?
Want to point that out, son? You silly old geezer. You are simply pissed I put a stop to class credit equivalency for LDS seminary in East Texas public schools. I would do the same if it were Islamic or Jewish or any Christian denomination.

If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever.

You deny that every single time we have had a thread where a school or teacher created or forced their students to Islamic verses, Islamic cloths Islamic songs or Islamic teachings you did NOT in fact support the school or teacher?
"If a public school religion class is being held according to public standards, I support the curriculum, whether comparative or Islamic or Christian or Jewish or whatever." I support the public curriculum. You don't?

And you, although you know better, accuse me of Mormon bashing, when, in fact, I am one of your best gentile defenders.
Be specific, very specific, EXACTLY where, quote it for us, did I attack you about Mormons at all in this thread? Come on you should have no trouble since this is the second time you have made the claim.
That is not what I said at all. Those are your words. While your words are lies. I, in fact, uphold the public curriculum, whether I agree with it or not. Those are my words. Trot along.

Students can discuss those things in religion classes or in the hall ways etc on campus.

They cannot infringe on others during class hours.

As a substitute teacher, I have seen several texts, several tests. I have never seen anything other than the theory of evolution, but I realize that "several" does not equate to "all."
As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.
When your religion denies the evidence/facts you fail.
When your stupidity sees speculation as facts, YOU fail.
No. Evolution is a fact because 1000 facts suggest it is. If you have a better theory let's here it.

Saying God did it gets you an F. That's wild speculation based on a lack of evidence.
Oh, well I guess that just leaves YOUR theory. A rock suddenly turned into a living creature that magically morphed into another, then another, then another (but the old ones still somehow stayed exactly the same), then when it got to the top of the heap and became a man, the process suddenly stopped. Yeah, makes perfect sense (if you're a fucking stoned idiot like yourself).
If that's what you think/believe that's why everyone thinks your an idiot.

That's because the students are shut down if they attempt to discuss God OR Creation. If you had kids and/or were involved in their studies you would know that.

I have had kids, I was involved in their studies. But over and above that, I have taught science, including evolution, and also talked with students who brought up God and creation in class--whether that class was evolution, math, or P.E. And, yes, God pops up all over school--not as a rule, but it's not ruled out.

Here's the deal. A teacher has a lesson plan that is used to get students from Point A to Point B in all five or six periods. If one period has a student that wants to solely discuss God, then the entire class is a day behind in the science curriculum. How I have always handled it is how I handle anything that deviates from the lesson plan: Briefly address any comment or question, and then get back to the lesson plan, noting that anyone who wanted to talk to me further could see me after class, before or after school, during lunch or their homeroom class.

Creationism is not science, and therefore it is never going to be found in a science lesson plan. Likewise, philosophy is not science, and it is not going to be found on a science lesson plan. This does not mean science teachers discourage students from studying theology or philosophy. It simply means they won't be studying them in science, any more than a science teacher will have students study a play or play softball during his/her class.
The problem is that your theory is flawed and you've already said your teaching experience is somewhat limited, so please don't act like a seasoned veteran of the educational system. But if you'd like to start a thread on the merits of the theory of evolution I'll be happy to come and shoot it full of holes.
And what would you fill those holes with, God? That's your theory? That theory has lots of holes in it

Lol
God created electricity. Nothing else need be said. A's for everyone!

Lol
Science throws 1000 balls in the air and has 1000 reasons why it believes in evolution.

Maybe God pushes the ball down when you toss it up. Is God playing catch with you? Is that your theory on gravity?

OP: Only in as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.
Most definately not in science.

That is not what I said at all. Those are your words. While your words are lies. I, in fact, uphold the public curriculum, whether I agree with it or not. Those are my words. Trot along.
In other words you made a claim and can not support it with facts, thanks for admitting it.

I don't remember that we had religion classes in the public schools I attended.

We did have a mythology section in the fifth or sixth grade that wowed me.

Should we have religions classes, modified, or not in public school?

11954586_998497163547004_5479437135690517870_n.jpg

I'm 81 years old. I started first grade in 1940. Religion wasn't taught per se but each morning beginning about the second or third grade we started the day with the pledge of allegiance and the lord's prayer. On Monday's or Tuesdays the teachers assigned a bible verse to each student for them to memorize and recite back to the class on Thursdays or Fridays. I don't think they should try any thing like that today.

Screw religion....what the hell do you want the kids to do while this shit goes on if they come from an atheist or agnostic family and think the whole thing is wasted time? American is a free country and believes in separation of church and state.

Lesson 1: religion is man-made nonsense devised to control people.

End of class.

Lesson 1: religion is man-made nonsense devised to control people.

End of class.

Evidently some knowledgeable, sensible people decided that and stopped our children from being fed the horse shit in a public setting.

Last edited:
That is not what I said at all, RGS. Those are your words. While your words are lies. I, in fact, uphold the public curriculum, whether I agree with it or not. Those are my words. Trot along.
In other words you made a claim and can not support it with facts, thanks for admitting it.
IOW, I just hanged your ass out to dry. :lol: My claim was supported, and your lies were rebuked.

Forum List

Back