Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
People realized that Godists and anti-Godists would punish others who did not believe as they did, and put in place restrictions on such happening.

You anti-Godists and sectarians have to live with it.

Tough to be you.

Last edited:
People realized that Godists and anti-Godists would punishes others who did not believe as they did, and put in place restrictions on such happening.

You anti-Godists and sectarians have to live with it.

Tough to be you.

LOL.....at least I have somebody on my side:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism.
~Dr. Albert Einstein~ (excerpt from his obituary)

Good for you. You have every right to believe as you wish, but you don't have the right to infringe on others during public school on the public dollar, Campbell. Sectarians face the same restriction. Einstein would agree, I think, that is the best way to handle the situation. No infringement.

Good for you. You have every right to believe as you wish, but you don't have the right to infringe on others during public school on the public dollar, Campbell. Sectarians face the same restriction. Einstein would agree, I think, that is the best way to handle the situation. No infringement.
Well....I think anybody who believes a 2000 yr old fairy tale has no business promoting their agenda

Well....I think anybody who believes a 2000 yr old fairy tale has no business promoting their agenda
See, you get to have an opinion! But you don't get to enforce it on others in public school any more than than they can force what they believe on you.

Please consider

1. as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

2. as a class for converting students

3. not at all
and please pray for Taz's soul.
7th grade mythology was my wow moment, too. Everyone was laughing at the Ancient Romans for believing in Zeus, et al and the light bulb came on. I asked my teacher how we know that in two thousand years a class won't be laughing at us for believing in our God and Jesus, etc. She said "You just have to believe." I asked my minister, and he said, "You just have to believe." In college I learned about a bunch of other religions people around the planet believe in today. (Loved The Tao of Physics).

Comparative religion set me on a path that, for the sake of intellectual honesty, turned me into a nonbeliever. In peculiarly OldLady fashion, I still try to live in accordance with the Christian values I was taught, but I didn't learn them primarily at school and I think religion is better handled in church with people prepared to answer the questions that arise. On the other hand, kids today have a lot more exposure to the fact that others have different beliefs than their own, and knowing that from the get-go promotes tolerance rather than fear or shock. Maybe then finding out that there are other belief systems from yours won't collapse your faith like a house of cards. Anyway, I think you asked a very good question.

See, you get to have an opinion! But you don't get to enforce it on others in public school any more than than they can force what they believe on you.

Just keep the goddam religion out of classrooms...anywhere, any time. I've heard enough about religion(ancient god worship) to do me for a lifetime.

Last edited:

Just keep the goddam religion out of classrooms...anywhere, any time
See how next America is. You get to voice your opinion but can't force it on anyone.

Just keep the goddam religion out of classrooms...anywhere, any time
See how next America is. You get to voice your opinion but can't force it on anyone.

It's called Freedom. The Freedom of Speech thing is a no brainer. I will mention that there are limitations to any freedom. For instance.....you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre and you can't shoot your lover's husband if he shows up unexpectedly.

As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.
When your religion denies the evidence/facts you fail.
When your stupidity sees speculation as facts, YOU fail.
No. Evolution is a fact because 1000 facts suggest it is. If you have a better theory let's here it.

Saying God did it gets you an F. That's wild speculation based on a lack of evidence.
Oh, well I guess that just leaves YOUR theory. A rock suddenly turned into a living creature that magically morphed into another, then another, then another (but the old ones still somehow stayed exactly the same), then when it got to the top of the heap and became a man, the process suddenly stopped. Yeah, makes perfect sense (if you're a fucking stoned idiot like yourself).
If that's what you think/believe that's why everyone thinks your an idiot.
It's not what I think, it's what YOU think.
PS, it's "you're", not "your", idiot.

It's not settled science but it's taught as settled science and that is dishonest.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol
Not that this is worthy of a response, but anyone can throw a ball up and watch it fall to see that there's gravity. Any more stupid analogies?
Science throws 1000 balls in the air and has 1000 reasons why it believes in evolution.

Maybe God pushes the ball down when you toss it up. Is God playing catch with you? Is that your theory on gravity?
More idiocy. Come back when you have something intelligent to say.

S. J. can have his opinion in public school, he simply cannot force it on others in class unless it pertains to subject matter.

When your religion denies the evidence/facts you fail.
No. Evolution is a fact because 1000 facts suggest it is. If you have a better theory let's here it.

Saying God did it gets you an F. That's wild speculation based on a lack of evidence.
Oh, well I guess that just leaves YOUR theory. A rock suddenly turned into a living creature that magically morphed into another, then another, then another (but the old ones still somehow stayed exactly the same), then when it got to the top of the heap and became a man, the process suddenly stopped. Yeah, makes perfect sense (if you're a fucking stoned idiot like yourself).
Is Evolution a Theory or a Fact?
It is both. But that answer requires looking more deeply at the meanings of the words "theory" and "fact."

In everyday usage, "theory" often refers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, "I have a theory about why that happened," they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.

Many scientific theories are so well-established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics). Like these other foundational scientific theories, the theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence. However, like all scientific theories, the theory of evolution is subject to continuing refinement as new areas of science emerge or as new technologies enable observations and experiments that were not possible previously.

The evolutionary biologists who discovered Tiktaalik predicted that they would find fossils intermediate between fish and limbed terrestrial animals in sediments that were about 375 million years old. Their discovery confirmed the prediction made on the basis of evolutionary theory. In turn, confirmation of a prediction increases confidence in that theory.

In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol
Not that this is worthy of a response, but anyone can throw a ball up and watch it fall to see that there's gravity. Any more stupid analogies?
Science throws 1000 balls in the air and has 1000 reasons why it believes in evolution.

Maybe God pushes the ball down when you toss it up. Is God playing catch with you? Is that your theory on gravity?
More idiocy. Come back when you have something intelligent to say.
I just posted why its a scientific theory and/or fact you are a god damn fool.

Please consider

1. as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

2. as a class for converting students

3. not at all
and please pray for Taz's soul.
7th grade mythology was my wow moment, too. Everyone was laughing at the Ancient Romans for believing in Zeus, et al and the light bulb came on. I asked my teacher how we know that in two thousand years a class won't be laughing at us for believing in our God and Jesus, etc. She said "You just have to believe." I asked my minister, and he said, "You just have to believe." In college I learned about a bunch of other religions people around the planet believe in today. (Loved The Tao of Physics).

Comparative religion set me on a path that, for the sake of intellectual honesty, turned me into a nonbeliever. In peculiarly OldLady fashion, I still try to live in accordance with the Christian values I was taught, but I didn't learn them primarily at school and I think religion is better handled in church with people prepared to answer the questions that arise. On the other hand, kids today have a lot more exposure to the fact that others have different beliefs than their own, and knowing that from the get-go promotes tolerance rather than fear or shock. Maybe then finding out that there are other belief systems from yours won't collapse your faith like a house of cards. Anyway, I think you asked a very good question.
Me too. Great question. And I agree. Learning about other religions opened my eyes to the fact that my religion is no different from theirs.

It is both. But that answer requires looking more deeply at the meanings of the words "theory" and "fact."

In everyday usage, "theory" often refers to a hunch or a speculation. When people say, "I have a theory about why that happened," they are often drawing a conclusion based on fragmentary or inconclusive evidence.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.

Many scientific theories are so well-established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. For example, no new evidence will demonstrate that the Earth does not orbit around the sun (heliocentric theory), or that living things are not made of cells (cell theory), that matter is not composed of atoms, or that the surface of the Earth is not divided into solid plates that have moved over geological timescales (the theory of plate tectonics). Like these other foundational scientific theories, the theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence. However, like all scientific theories, the theory of evolution is subject to continuing refinement as new areas of science emerge or as new technologies enable observations and experiments that were not possible previously.

The evolutionary biologists who discovered Tiktaalik predicted that they would find fossils intermediate between fish and limbed terrestrial animals in sediments that were about 375 million years old. Their discovery confirmed the prediction made on the basis of evolutionary theory. In turn, confirmation of a prediction increases confidence in that theory.

In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.
When you copy and paste something, you're supposed to include the source.

When you copy and paste something, you're supposed to include the source.
Is that all you had to say to what I posted? Pathetic.

I’m going to shorten it for you too so you can just read the part your brain needs to comprehend. Evolution is a fact. Sorry but no god plopped down full grown zebra’s and dogs and tigers and crocs and turkey and walrus and chicken. We all evolved from a common ancestor. That is what science believes. And it’s pretty much a fact at this point. God did it is a joke. You are a joke. Sorry, go cry to your God and tell them to smite me.

The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence. Many scientific theories are so well-established that no new evidence is likely to alter them substantially. The theory of evolution is supported by so many observations and confirming experiments that scientists are confident that the basic components of the theory will not be overturned by new evidence. In science, a "fact" typically refers to an observation, measurement, or other form of evidence that can be expected to occur the same way under similar circumstances. However, scientists also use the term "fact" to refer to a scientific explanation that has been tested and confirmed so many times that there is no longer a compelling reason to keep testing it or looking for additional examples. In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.

Evolution Resources from the National Academies

^^^

S. J., how much formal education did you receive?

Did you home school?

Did you graduate from a college?

Do you understand critical thinking?

Forum List

Back