Should religion be taught in public schools?

Should we have religion classes in public school?

• for all religions

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • for certain religions

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • as a class in liberal arts, literature, comparative religions, etc.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Nope, not at all

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
How many religious people have only heard one version of the truth? My nephews friends parents are Catholic and were Greek Orthodox. Then there's the born agains. I think people should be exposed to all the facts and don't just hope they stumble onto other versions of the truth. For example rednecks in the bible belt have never heard the Catholic or atheists pitch on why their way is best.

It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.

As a substitute teacher, I have seen several texts, several tests. I have never seen anything other than the theory of evolution, but I realize that "several" does not equate to "all."
As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.
Evolution is science, yeah, and your idea of instruction is indoctrination, yeah. You cannot critically think. You have never shown the ability. Simply, you are a mess: you believe what you believe, and so be it.
Screw you, Jake. You've got nothing but personal insults. Kiss my ass.

It's SUPPOSED to be taught as theory but if you read the text books and the test questions students are given, you will see that they present it as fact when it is (in fact) speculation.

As a substitute teacher, I have seen several texts, several tests. I have never seen anything other than the theory of evolution, but I realize that "several" does not equate to "all."
As a father, I was very involved in my children's lives and their education and I have seen it. It's somewhat subtle but it's there. Like using the word "proof" when discussing Darwin's findings instead of "possible evidence". The students are being led. Creation is never mentioned so the students are never allowed to see both sides. I'm against teaching "religion" in schools but when a student is only given one side of a debate that's gone on for centuries and then punished with a failing grade if they disagree with the teacher and don't answer the test questions the right way, that's not education, it's indoctrination. And that's what our educational system has become, indoctrination.
When your religion denies the evidence/facts you fail.

You're gonna have one hell of a raucous PTA meeting trying to tell the folks they have to shell out money for texts for each religion.

Evolution is science, yeah, and your idea of instruction is indoctrination, yeah. You cannot critically think. You have never shown the ability. Simply, you are a mess: you believe what you believe, and so be it.
Screw you, Jake. You've got nothing but personal insults. Kiss my ass.
You, as a far right social conservative, throw out what you can't take.

Be nice, get nice. Get stupid, get hammered. Always will be the result, always.

You argue from confirmation bias, not from objectivity.

Tis what it is.

How many religious people have only heard one version of the truth? My nephews friends parents are Catholic and were Greek Orthodox. Then there's the born agains. I think people should be exposed to all the facts and don't just hope they stumble onto other versions of the truth. For example rednecks in the bible belt have never heard the Catholic or atheists pitch on why their way is best.
That is why the syllabus and the teacher are always sore points in East Texas district when a Bible course is set up in a high school.

Evolution does not rule out creation of life. It is simply a theory on how life and different species evolved after creation. I have no problem with evolution and I have yet to see how it interferes with God as Creator.

Evolution deals with origins of species, S. J. not the origin of life.

God easily could use such a procedure. The anti-Godists say no, that it would have to be random, but they are wrong, as usual.

When your stupidity sees speculation as facts, YOU fail.

Evolution does not rule out creation of life. It is simply a theory on how life and different species evolved after creation. I have no problem with evolution and I have yet to see how it interferes with God as Creator.
That's because the students are shut down if they attempt to discuss God OR Creation. If you had kids and/or were involved in their studies you would know that.

No. Evolution is a fact because 1000 facts suggest it is. If you have a better theory let's here it.

Saying God did it gets you an F. That's wild speculation based on a lack of evidence.

That's because the students are shut down if they attempt to discuss God OR Creation. If you had kids and/or were involved in their studies you would know that.

I have had kids, I was involved in their studies. But over and above that, I have taught science, including evolution, and also talked with students who brought up God and creation in class--whether that class was evolution, math, or P.E. And, yes, God pops up all over school--not as a rule, but it's not ruled out.

Here's the deal. A teacher has a lesson plan that is used to get students from Point A to Point B in all five or six periods. If one period has a student that wants to solely discuss God, then the entire class is a day behind in the science curriculum. How I have always handled it is how I handle anything that deviates from the lesson plan: Briefly address any comment or question, and then get back to the lesson plan, noting that anyone who wanted to talk to me further could see me after class, before or after school, during lunch or their homeroom class.

Creationism is not science, and therefore it is never going to be found in a science lesson plan. Likewise, philosophy is not science, and it is not going to be found on a science lesson plan. This does not mean science teachers discourage students from studying theology or philosophy. It simply means they won't be studying them in science, any more than a science teacher will have students study a play or play softball during his/her class.

No. Evolution is a fact because 1000 facts suggest it is. If you have a better theory let's here it.

Saying God did it gets you an F. That's wild speculation based on a lack of evidence.
Oh, well I guess that just leaves YOUR theory. A rock suddenly turned into a living creature that magically morphed into another, then another, then another (but the old ones still somehow stayed exactly the same), then when it got to the top of the heap and became a man, the process suddenly stopped. Yeah, makes perfect sense (if you're a fucking stoned idiot like yourself).

I have had kids, I was involved in their studies. But over and above that, I have taught science, including evolution, and also talked with students who brought up God and creation in class--whether that class was evolution, math, or P.E. And, yes, God pops up all over school--not as a rule, but it's not ruled out.

Here's the deal. A teacher has a lesson plan that is used to get students from Point A to Point B in all five or six periods. If one period has a student that wants to solely discuss God, then the entire class is a day behind in the science curriculum. How I have always handled it is how I handle anything that deviates from the lesson plan: Briefly address any comment or question, and then get back to the lesson plan, noting that anyone who wanted to talk to me further could see me after class, before or after school, during lunch or their homeroom class.

Creationism is not science, and therefore it is never going to be found in a science lesson plan. Likewise, philosophy is not science, and it is not going to be found on a science lesson plan. This does not mean science teachers discourage students from studying theology or philosophy. It simply means they won't be studying them in science, any more than a science teacher will have students study a play or play softball during his/her class.
The problem is that your theory is flawed and you've already said your teaching experience is somewhat limited, so please don't act like a seasoned veteran of the educational system. But if you'd like to start a thread on the merits of the theory of evolution I'll be happy to come and shoot it full of holes.

How do schools teach US history without mentioning religion and the quakers? Today few people outside the north east have ever seen a quaker and the closest they understand might be the amish which are not the same.
Religion in history needs to be explained even among the native tribes and cultures.
It needs to explain the split in the english church by Henry the VIII
The inquisition, the crusades, the differing lives between the romans and egyptians
Even civilization itself
You don't have to get that involved in the theology but an understanding of some religion should be included and any fear or prejudice can be dismissed by knowledge and why our freedom of religion is so important.

How do you explain history, art, literature, culture or even geography without religion?

How do you dispel prejudice and hate if you don't understand others and why they might be different.
How do you explain the news if you have no knowledge of the differences in religion and why people are being killed in the name of some god. Few people understand why muslims are fighting other muslims without understanding the religious basis.

Teaching about religion is not the same as teaching religion, which some teachers today still fail to understand. No making student learn prayers or dress different is not the right way. How do you go through 12 or more years of school without mentioning religion?
Why was science forbidden? Why was Galileo imprisoned? Why did columbus go exploring or the spaniards conquer lands in the americas?
Why were millions killed in WWII?

Why i there a danger of another WW beginning in the middle east? Why is there so much hate against refugees and why is there terrorism in the news?

Rational thinking is also vital to teach, which might require the students to both prove and disprove the existence of god vs science.

As much as religion has shaped our world, so it should at least in some historic context be taught. You don't have to teach a belief in god, just that some people through history have believed and why such beliefs have had a profound effect on history, science and politics to day

The problem is that your theory is flawed and you've already said your teaching experience is somewhat limited, so please don't act like a seasoned veteran of the educational system. But if you'd like to start a thread on the merits of the theory of evolution I'll be happy to come and shoot it full of holes.

Sixteen years of teaching is not "somewhat limited" and I'm not "acting" like anything. I'm merely offering a perspective of "been there, done that." Outside of the classroom, I have no interest in discussing evolution. I'd rather spend my time studying God and theology. Studying God by studying arguments against evolution is like studying math by studying arguments against global warming. If your interest is in God, then focus on God.

It's not settled science but it's taught as settled science and that is dishonest.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol

Sixteen years of teaching is not "somewhat limited" and I'm not "acting" like anything. I'm merely offering a perspective of "been there, done that." Outside of the classroom, I have no interest in discussing evolution. I'd rather spend my time studying God and theology. Studying God by studying arguments against evolution is like studying math by studying arguments against global warming. If your interest is in God, then focus on God.
This is what you said. I would say that qualifies as "somewhat limited".

Why is there so much hate against refugees

That's not the problem. The problem is distrust is because world governments are unable to distinguish refugees from terrorists. People, as a whole, are more than willing to reach out to those in need. They are unwilling to become victims themselves. When governments can accurately identify who's who, trust will then return.

It's not settled science but it's taught as settled science and that is dishonest.

Remember, evolution is taught as a theory, and the information that theory is based upon.
Ok then since electric principles are just theories and Gravity is just a theory, let's not teach any of those either. Let's just teach good ole timey religion in schools.

So what theory do you support on gravity? Do you propose the graviton as the basis to gravity or are you more into the multiverse aspect of gravity? Is it a wave or particle? You believe in gravity right? How about electric principles? Do you believe that electrons flow through the conductor?

Lol
Not that this is worthy of a response, but anyone can throw a ball up and watch it fall to see that there's gravity. Any more stupid analogies?

Forum List

Back