Should Thanksgiving even be a holiday?

The fact that there is no actual endorsement of any specific religion shoots down your argument. That there were two religions present at the original event is not the issue. Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, was then coopted by the Christians, and has finally become a somewhat secular, commercial holiday. Gov't does not outlaw religion, pers e. It is simply not allowed to select one above the others.

and you think that a harvest festival was not of pagan origin?

Not the one in America that involved the Puritans and Indians thanking a deity or deities for the good harvest, no. But even if it was pagan, paganism involves a deities:

Types of Pagan Deities - Pagan Deities by Type

Christmas in America has never been pagan. But even if it had been, there would have been other deities involved and the holiday would still be a religious holiday. Paganism and atheism are not the same thing. Atheism says there is no God.

Atheism has existed as long as people have. There have always been people who did not believe in God. The term atheist was first used in about the 1600s I believe, but I there is a Bible verse that states: The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. From Psalms, I believe.

The purpose of this thread is to point out how fiercely libs, particularly atheist liberals, will defend paid government holidays even though they are religious in origin and/or celebration after spending the entire year before trying to get all things Christian removed from any and every government building in the country.

If you can show me how a Turducken is religious, I'll be happy to concede your point. :tongue:

While Thanksgiving may have begun as a religious observance (although that's in question) it is, today, not one. It has been commercialized and secularized, much like Christmas.

Both holidays may have religious meaning for individuals, but neither is limited to religious observance by any means.

Not the one in America that involved the Puritans and Indians thanking a deity or deities for the good harvest, no. But even if it was pagan, paganism involves a deities:

Christmas in America has never been pagan. But even if it had been, there would have been other deities involved and the holiday would still be a religious holiday. Paganism and atheism are not the same thing. Atheism says there is no God.

Atheism has existed as long as people have. There have always been people who did not believe in God. The term atheist was first used in about the 1600s I believe, but I there is a Bible verse that states: The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. From Psalms, I believe.

The purpose of this thread is to point out how fiercely libs, particularly atheist liberals, will defend paid government holidays even though they are religious in origin and/or celebration after spending the entire year before trying to get all things Christian removed from any and every government building in the country.

If you can show me how a Turducken is religious, I'll be happy to concede your point. :tongue:

While Thanksgiving may have begun as a religious observance (although that's in question) it is, today, not one. It has been commercialized and secularized, much like Christmas.

Both holidays may have religious meaning for individuals, but neither is limited to religious observance by any means.

I can't wait until islam starts its whine fest over Christmas and it will. More than 50% of the US GNP is driven by Christmas.

the point of the thread is not what those days mean to YOU. Whatever either of those are today, the fact remains that they have their roots in religion. Soon the muslims will be harping about not having a day off for Mohammed's birthday, and that a paid day off on Christmas violates the Constitution because it shows preference for one sect over another sect. Indeed it does. Atheists won't fight it because they are hypocrites and want the paid day off. I can't wait. I want to see Congress squirm. Or do what they did with MLK day. They just combined Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into 'President's Day' and gave the Jan holiday to MLK.

I can't wait until islam starts its whine fest over Christmas and it will. More than 50% of the US GNP is driven by Christmas.

the point of the thread is not what those days mean to YOU. Whatever either of those are today, the fact remains that they have their roots in religion. Soon the muslims will be harping about not having a day off for Mohammed's birthday, and that a paid day off on Christmas violates the Constitution because it shows preference for one sect over another sect. Indeed it does. Atheists won't fight it because they are hypocrites and want the paid day off. I can't wait. I want to see Congress squirm. Or do what they did with MLK day. They just combined Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays into 'President's Day' and gave the Jan holiday to MLK.

Have Muslims fought it yet? Jews? Wiccans? Hindus?

Your focus on atheists says a lot.

EDIT : Almost forgot to ask where you get the 50% figure.

Last edited:
The fact that there is no actual endorsement of any specific religion shoots down your argument. That there were two religions present at the original event is not the issue. Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, was then coopted by the Christians, and has finally become a somewhat secular, commercial holiday. Gov't does not outlaw religion, pers e. It is simply not allowed to select one above the others.

they could care less about "religious" holidays.....

the word holiday has many meanings..... religious meaning is only of of them. What they care about is paid time off.

Forum List

Back