Should the United States go back to a top federal tax rate of 70%?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You are a babbling fool. We don't have the deductions and exemptions they had back when those rates were in effect. And your advocacy for the increase does not include restoring them.

View attachment 238630

So what. The government can get more money out of rich without hurting the economy. It will benefit the rest of the country. Its good policy and should be implemented. It will help pay down the national debt and provide for vital government programs including national defense. The rich are living high off the hog. A higher top federal tax rate is coming whether you like it or not. There is simply no other solution.

None of these fools get that you're talking about the uber wealthy. Those who over the last forty years who have pulled an obscene amount of money out of circulation. Taxation and govt spending put it directly back into circulation causing growth.

After Reagan started the trend of tax cuts, the uber wealthy have been pulling a larger and larger share of cash out of the economy.
View attachment 238770

Those who over the last forty years who have pulled an obscene amount of money out of circulation.

Hate that greedy duck.

It's really not surprising that you use cartoons to express your ideas.

I agree, your moronic claim that wealthy people "pull money out of circulation" is cartoonish at best.

Sure. Explain it to us, professor.

The $ tied up in their wealth is not changing hands throughout the economy.

how is it moral for any government to confiscate 70% of your INCOME? Remember, income is not even "profit."
taxable income is considered profit in the eyes of the tax collectors and the supreme court....

this is why if you file the long form, it allows all of those deductions...

and the 70% tax rate is not and never has been on their whole income.... we all pay different tax rates on all of our income... it is a graduated rate system....

as an example, for everyone, they would only pay 10% on earned income up to 30k, then income over that 30k up to say 50 k they could pay 15% on that taxable income, then over 50k to 80k, 20% on that taxable income.. we pay a certain tax on each income tax bracket....

so if the 70% tax bracket were brought back, it would be the tax rate for a certain bracket of taxable income...

say, for taxable money earned over 10 million a year.... all the money earned below that would be taxed at the lower tax bracket rates and NOT at the 70%....

NOT that I am for doing something like that! though I have not completely ruled it out.... I would just need to study the plusses and minuses of it more, before making a decision....

They have no understanding of marginal rates.

Those who over the last forty years who have pulled an obscene amount of money out of circulation.

Hate that greedy duck.

I agree, your moronic claim that wealthy people "pull money out of circulation" is cartoonish at best.

Where does it go, fool?

How does it leave circulation, fool?
Tied up in a $120m yacht registered and moored in Monaco?

Answer the question. Where does it go?

Lot of those boats built over the last 40 years?

Where does the wealth of the 3 richest people in the US go?
Bezos......16% of Amazon.
Bill Gates......24% of Microsoft (1996)
Warren Buffett......18% of Berkshire (2016)

So what. The government can get more money out of rich without hurting the economy. It will benefit the rest of the country. Its good policy and should be implemented. It will help pay down the national debt and provide for vital government programs including national defense. The rich are living high off the hog. A higher top federal tax rate is coming whether you like it or not. There is simply no other solution.

None of these fools get that you're talking about the uber wealthy. Those who over the last forty years who have pulled an obscene amount of money out of circulation. Taxation and govt spending put it directly back into circulation causing growth.

After Reagan started the trend of tax cuts, the uber wealthy have been pulling a larger and larger share of cash out of the economy.
View attachment 238770

Hate that greedy duck.

Right. Because it's in that gold-filled swimming pool.

Where does it go, fool?

I asked you that question, dope.

It certainly doesn't into the pockets of everyday Americans who spend it in the economy where it is further circulated.

70% of GDP is related to consumer spending. Not investment. Use your brain.

View attachment 238770

Hate that greedy duck.

Tell us where you believe it is, professor.

Where does it go, fool?

It certainly doesn't into the pockets of everyday Americans who spend it in the economy where it is further circulated.

I asked you that question
Yes, you asked the stupid question.

It certainly doesn't into the pockets of everyday Americans who spend it in the economy

It used to, until a bunch of liberal twats decided a luxury tax on boats was a great idea.
Fucking morons.

70% of GDP is related to consumer spending

100% of GDP is related to domestic production.

Not investment.

Domestic production isn't related to investment?
You must be a liberal.

Use your brain.

You first.

Hate that greedy duck.

Swimming around in the economy. Just like your wealth and mine.
Pulled out of circulation? Laughable.

Well, then no one should mind going back to those rates.

You are a babbling fool. We don't have the deductions and exemptions they had back when those rates were in effect. And your advocacy for the increase does not include restoring them.

View attachment 238630

View attachment 238770

Are you completely ignorant?

Are you seriously suggesting that the wealthy have vaults of money all over the place?

By the way, you are wrong about the Reagan tax cuts causing this. The super wealthy, were super wealthy, long before the tax cuts.

Of course I suggested no such thing.

Yes, yes they were super wealthy. Just not like today. It was Reagan who started the trend of tax cuts on the wealthy. It was at 70% before he halved it.

why do liberals and dems hate rich successful business people, but love rich successful Hollywood loonies? Do Streisand and Baldwin and Whoopi support a 70% tax on their ridiculous incomes?

I think the United States should increase the top federal tax rate from where it is now at 39% back to 70% where it was in 1980. The top tax rate in the United States from 1945 to 1980 was NEVER lower than 70%. The time period of 1945 to 1980 saw the strongest average annual GDP growth in United States history. The national debt as a percentage of GDP was at 121% in 1945. But by 1980, the national debt was only 33% of GDP. During this time period, the United States fought the cold war which involved fighting in Korea and Vietnam as well as deterring the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact.

How was the United States able to fight these wars, have large annual defense spending, pay for new social programs like Social Security, Medicare etc, while reducing the national debt relative to the country's wealth? It was able to do this by having a top tax rate on the richest Americans that was between 70% and 94% during the time period of 1945-1980. These tax rates on wealthy Americans DID NOT hurt the economy, ruin business etc. The country thrived with these tax rates.

Consumer spending is 80% of economic growth. Most consumers are not wealthy. They are lower class or middle class. Making sure their taxes are lower or balanced is important because they spend money when they get a raise, new job, tax break, etc. The rich though do not change their level of consumer spending when they get a tax cut or obtain more wealth. Their wealth is such that their level of consumer spending is not impacted by tax cuts or tax increases.

So going back to a 70% tax rate for the wealthiest Americans will provide more important revenue for the government without hurting the economy. This extra revenue can be used to balance the budget, pay down debt, increase defense spending, provide more money for education and health care.

The national debt has sky rocketed since 1980 and it has been difficult finding enough money for defense and domestic programs. The solution is a higher tax rate, 70% or more on the wealthiest Americans. It won't hurt the economy as shown by the superior economic growth from 1945 to 1980.
I think everyone who voted yes should pay 70%.

View attachment 238630

View attachment 238770

Are you seriously suggesting that the wealthy have vaults of money all over the place?

By the way, you are wrong about the Reagan tax cuts causing this. The super wealthy, were super wealthy, long before the tax cuts.

Yes, yes they were super wealthy. Just not like today. It was Reagan who started the trend of tax cuts on the wealthy. It was at 70% before he halved it.

why do liberals and dems hate rich successful business people, but love rich successful Hollywood loonies? Do Streisand and Baldwin and Whoopi support a 70% tax on their ridiculous incomes?
If our alleged wars on crime, drugs, and terror are not serious enough for wartime tax rates, they should be abolished.

Swimming around in the economy. Just like your wealth and mine.
Pulled out of circulation? Laughable.

Not an answer, dope.

All economic investment is around 15% of GDP.
Consumer spending is 70%.

Spending is circulation. Increased circulation is growth.

Rich folks don't spend more because they received tax breaks.

Where does it go, fool?

I asked you that question
Yes, you asked the stupid question.

It certainly doesn't into the pockets of everyday Americans who spend it in the economy

It used to, until a bunch of liberal twats decided a luxury tax on boats was a great idea.
Fucking morons.

70% of GDP is related to consumer spending

100% of GDP is related to domestic production.

Not investment.

Domestic production isn't related to investment?
You must be a liberal.

Use your brain.

You first.

None of that disjointed nonsense addresses anything I posted.

View attachment 238630

View attachment 238770

Ask them.

There is no justification for the government to take 70% of anyone's income! In fact, it is hard to justify the government taking any more than 20% of anyone's income. When the government just takes that money and gives it to other countries. It should be illegal for US tax money to be spent outside of the borders of the United States,

View attachment 238770

Ask them.

I think we both already know the answer. No one wants to pay 70%, rich or poor. What you left wing fools don't understand is that if we were to go to the "government pays for everything" ideology that you seem to want, that YOU would also be paying 70%, unlike now when you pay nothing. the 50% who pay taxes pay for the 50% who don't. Its easy to understand why when you pay nothing you see no personal impact if the govt gives you more free stuff.

Ask the people of Denmark if they like paying 65% of everything they earn. All of them, not just the rich.

View attachment 238630

View attachment 238770

Yeah it is amazing isn't it? What real tangible benefit does the Hollywood elite actually provide? Seriously, what do they really do that makes America better?

These CEOs make cars, make homes, make products, make roads bridges, everything we see in our entire society. Without those CEOs, we'd still be taking baths in the river, and living in log homes.

Without Alec Baldwin, we wouldn't have "having fun with dick and jane" and "suburban girl", and "Hunt for red october". Most of his movies were garbage, but even the few that were worth watching.... I think I could survive without a few films. I would be much worse off without the millions of products that make life better here in the US.

View attachment 238770

Ask them.

I think we both already know the answer. No one wants to pay 70%, rich or poor. What you left wing fools don't understand is that if we were to go to the "government pays for everything" ideology that you seem to want, that YOU would also be paying 70%, unlike now when you pay nothing. the 50% who pay taxes pay for the 50% who don't. Its easy to understand why when you pay nothing you see no personal impact if the govt gives you more free stuff.

Ask the people of Denmark if they like paying 65% of everything they earn. All of them, not just the rich.

LOL
You actually believe this means taking 70% of everything someone earns?

Learn what a marginal and progressive rate is, fool.

Marginal Tax Rate

I think the United States should increase the top federal tax rate from where it is now at 39% back to 70% where it was in 1980. The top tax rate in the United States from 1945 to 1980 was NEVER lower than 70%. The time period of 1945 to 1980 saw the strongest average annual GDP growth in United States history. The national debt as a percentage of GDP was at 121% in 1945. But by 1980, the national debt was only 33% of GDP. During this time period, the United States fought the cold war which involved fighting in Korea and Vietnam as well as deterring the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact.

How was the United States able to fight these wars, have large annual defense spending, pay for new social programs like Social Security, Medicare etc, while reducing the national debt relative to the country's wealth? It was able to do this by having a top tax rate on the richest Americans that was between 70% and 94% during the time period of 1945-1980. These tax rates on wealthy Americans DID NOT hurt the economy, ruin business etc. The country thrived with these tax rates.

Consumer spending is 80% of economic growth. Most consumers are not wealthy. They are lower class or middle class. Making sure their taxes are lower or balanced is important because they spend money when they get a raise, new job, tax break, etc. The rich though do not change their level of consumer spending when they get a tax cut or obtain more wealth. Their wealth is such that their level of consumer spending is not impacted by tax cuts or tax increases.

So going back to a 70% tax rate for the wealthiest Americans will provide more important revenue for the government without hurting the economy. This extra revenue can be used to balance the budget, pay down debt, increase defense spending, provide more money for education and health care.

The national debt has sky rocketed since 1980 and it has been difficult finding enough money for defense and domestic programs. The solution is a higher tax rate, 70% or more on the wealthiest Americans. It won't hurt the economy as shown by the superior economic growth from 1945 to 1980.
I think everyone who voted yes should pay 70%.

Go for democracy. I support this idea. You want to pay 70% taxes, then I think you should get to.

Forum List

Back