🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should there be mandatory training before you can purchase a firearm?

Not so much.......that hunter safety course includes gun safety as well because it's for those hunting Modern Firearm AKA guns.

To own a gun in this country you already have to get a concealed or open carry permit before being able to purchase one, regardless what you intend to use it for. With that requirement, would it really be so bad to also require a safety course taught by military or police before purchasing a gun. It's not taking away any right to own any gun on the market. But it is teaching people the safety and hazards of owning one.

Currently there is no training and people buy guns, but they don't have the first clue how to use it, how to clean it, what a 'safety' is or where it's located even. They don't seem to have the first clue how to keep those guns 'secured' from others or how to avoid accidents.

They just think it's good to have a gun, with some ammo and prop it behind the bedroom door and think it's all good. WRONG!

Do you really think the issue is ignorance, rather than simple negligence?

True enough about negligence being a contributor. A safety course would give some kind of heads up though

And do almost nothing of statistical value. Roughly 99% of gun deaths are caused by A. Criminal activity and B. Suicide. Neither will be effected by training.

The other 1% is caused by carelessness. Those folks won’t be any less careless because they went to a class or two.

So, if there’s a point to all this, except, wouldn’t it be nice, please bring it forth.

If nothing else, it could appease the anti-gunners and still allow ownership of semi-autos & bump stocks or anything else they're targeting for banning

I don’t negotiate my rights aware

It’s a fools game

Bring a problem that this will solve and we will talk. Until then, I’ve heard of no such problem.

Will a safety course stop unnecessary shootings??? Probably not 100%, but it could make an impact.

In high school during driver education, we had to watch a movie/documentary about fatal crashes.....the cause/effect of when you aren't paying attention or are driving while intoxicated, or speeding and what happens when you lose control. I'm sure it was used as a scare tactic and for the most part, it worked. Sure there's always going to be someone that does it anyway, but we were made aware of the consequences of what happens when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle.
I don't think they still do that anymore, but I've told my kids anytime we pass an accident or see a mangled car on a tow truck where it's obvious a fatality that I don't want that call, that you were either in that crash or that you've caused that crash and they don't want to have to live with the guilt for the rest of their lives if they did cause it.....just because they were showing off or not paying attention or doing something stupid.

Sure it's not the same as owning a gun.....but the after effects can be. If you are made aware of the effects and consequences of your actions, then it just might stop the next mass shooting........and isn't that what we all want?

It's not a toy to be played with and neither are guns.

Definitely one of the dumbest ideas ever. There is"stupid", there is "fucking stupid", and then there is "American stupid", like that idea right there.

Thanks for being a perfect example of my point.

That made no sense, drunky.

Of course it did, you're just too much of an ignorant regressive to see it. Carry on comrade. LMAO

Grown man typing fake LOLs =impotent frustration.

Yes, arming teachers is a painfully stupid idea. Naturally, you think it's swell.

Actually it's not, but once again you prove your ignorance, the topic here is teaching basic gun safety to prevent accidents. So yes, I will laugh at you ignorance at will, carry on comrade.

You clearly talked about arming teachers. And yes, it's a painfully stupid and embarrassing idea. You are embarrassing yourself.

Of course it did, you're just too much of an ignorant regressive to see it. Carry on comrade. LMAO

Yes, arming teachers is a painfully stupid idea. Naturally, you think it's swell.

Actually it's not, but once again you prove your ignorance, the topic here is teaching basic gun safety to prevent accidents. So yes, I will laugh at you ignorance at will, carry on comrade.

You clearly talked about arming teachers. And yes, it's a painfully stupid and embarrassing idea. You are embarrassing yourself.

Stop with the lies, I talked about training teachers to provide basic gun safety training to their students and providing the materials to do so via the internet or DVDs. If you had bothered to make yourself familiar with the thread you'd know that. Instead you decided, like the typical ignorant regressive, to make assumptions and remain IGNORANT.

True enough about negligence being a contributor. A safety course would give some kind of heads up though

And do almost nothing of statistical value. Roughly 99% of gun deaths are caused by A. Criminal activity and B. Suicide. Neither will be effected by training.

The other 1% is caused by carelessness. Those folks won’t be any less careless because they went to a class or two.

So, if there’s a point to all this, except, wouldn’t it be nice, please bring it forth.

If nothing else, it could appease the anti-gunners and still allow ownership of semi-autos & bump stocks or anything else they're targeting for banning

It’s a fools game

Bring a problem that this will solve and we will talk. Until then, I’ve heard of no such problem.

Will a safety course stop unnecessary shootings??? Probably not 100%, but it could make an impact.

In high school during driver education, we had to watch a movie/documentary about fatal crashes.....the cause/effect of when you aren't paying attention or are driving while intoxicated, or speeding and what happens when you lose control. I'm sure it was used as a scare tactic and for the most part, it worked. Sure there's always going to be someone that does it anyway, but we were made aware of the consequences of what happens when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle.
I don't think they still do that anymore, but I've told my kids anytime we pass an accident or see a mangled car on a tow truck where it's obvious a fatality that I don't want that call, that you were either in that crash or that you've caused that crash and they don't want to have to live with the guilt for the rest of their lives if they did cause it.....just because they were showing off or not paying attention or doing something stupid.

Sure it's not the same as owning a gun.....but the after effects can be. If you are made aware of the effects and consequences of your actions, then it just might stop the next mass shooting........and isn't that what we all want?

I don't know...based on the number of accidents on our roads, those sorts of "scare tactics" may not be particularly effective. :dunno:

It’s a fools game

I don't know...based on the number of accidents on our roads, those sorts of "scare tactics" may not be particularly effective. :dunno:

As I said, I don't think they still do that in driver training. And I don't know if it's the same in other states, but here a driver training class is required for those under 18. After 18 you just go in & take a written & drive test and get your license.

Also I think most people need 'refresher' courses just to remind them of what the road rules are.

It’s a fools game

Actually I did.......the problem being the types of guns we can own are being banned and illegal to own. What good is a 6 shooter that you own legally if the criminal has an AR-15 from the black market?????

It's true that it's not up to me......but if so, I'd be willing to take some safety course and even periodic refresher courses....if it meant I could legally own my AR15, AK47, bumpstocks, etc. that are currently being taken away.

Sometimes to get what you want you have to give a little......so 'negotiating your rights' as you say is better than having them taken from you one gun at a time as is currently happening right under your nose.

This is where you are deluding yourself......you will give up on training as a way of telling the anti gunners, see....I will give up a little and support mandatory training, if you back off on what guns I can own. They will say, sure thing. Then, once you have given them the training requirement...as they are making that requirement more and more of a ban on gun ownership through fees and time, and levels of training, they will come back and say, yes...but we now need to take the AR-15 too....

There is no "giving a little" to get a little with extremists...they hate guns, if you own a gun, or worse, carry a gun, they hate you...

That is the math, it is simple, it is clear, but that is what the math is...

It’s a fools game

As I said, I don't think they still do that in driver training. And I don't know if it's the same in other states, but here a driver training class is required for those under 18. After 18 you just go in & take a written & drive test and get your license.

Also I think most people need 'refresher' courses just to remind them of what the road rules are.

this is what the anti gunners know....if you make it mandatory to have trainging before you can own and carry a gun....they can increase the amount of training where it will make guns out of reach of ordinary people.....that is one tactic the Europeans use...

Getting a gun legally in Europe may be hard, but terrorists have little trouble

In contrast with the free-firing United States, Europe is generally seen as a haven from serious gun violence. Here in Denmark, handguns and semiautomatic rifles are all but banned. Hunting rifles are legally available only to those with squeaky-clean backgrounds who have passed a rigorous exam covering everything from gun safety to the mating habits of Denmark’s wildlife.

There’s a book about 1,000 pages thick,” said Tonni Rigby, one of only two licensed firearms dealers in Copenhagen. “You have to know all of it.”

But if you want an illicit assault rifle, such as the one used by a 22-year-old to rake a Copenhagen cafe with 28 bullets on Saturday, all it takes are a few connections and some cash.

“It’s very easy to get such a weapon,” said Hans Jorgen Bonnichsen, a former operations director for the Danish security service PET. “It’s not only a problem for Denmark. It’s a problem for all of Europe.”

It’s a fools game

To repeat....driving is not a Right.

Owning and carrying a gun for self defense is a Right.

In the past...democrats didn't want blacks to vote.....which was a Right. How did they get around that Right? The implemented Poll Taxes and Literacy Tests, because they knew the freed black slaves didn't have the money and most could not even read, let alone have the education to pass any kind of test....

That is how the democrats want to use taxes, fees and training requirements....as an obstacle to poor people to own and carry guns.....

Dumb ass....this has already been done......you are a doofus...

Here’s all the states where teachers already carry guns in the classroom

Florida is on the verge of becoming the 15th state to arm teachers after Gov. Rick Scott signed an omnibus bill Friday allowing school staff to undergo law enforcement training to carry guns in the classroom.

Although the notion may seem radical, at least 14 states already arm teachers, according to a VICE News review of state laws and interviews with education department officials and school board associations around the country. Those states are Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Washington.

Another 16 states give local school boards the authority to decide whether school staff can carry guns, either explicitly or through legal loopholes, but officials said they didn’t know of any instances of armed teachers in those states.

It doesn't matter how good or bad of an idea you think it may be ... You don't have the authority to determine what should or shouldn't be.

It doesn't matter how good or bad of an idea you think it may be ... You don't have the authority to determine what should or shouldn't be.

It was a reaction to a problem that could be solved as easily as banning the use of antidepressants on anyone under 21.

But then, that’s a solution, not a political stance.

I’d rather save lives then win elections based on paranoia

I talked about training teachers to provide basic gun safety training to their students and providing the materials to do so via the internet or DVDs
Haha....that's even dumber. I seriously unserestimated the amount of stupid you have brought to the table, here. Thank you for the correction.

Nevertheless, you are still doing follish, because you not only think the above idea is good (how fucking embarrassing), you also do want to arm teachers.

I talked about training teachers to provide basic gun safety training to their students and providing the materials to do so via the internet or DVDs
Haha....that's even dumber. I seriously unserestimated the amount of stupid you have brought to the table, here. Thank you for the correction.

Nevertheless, you are still doing follish, because you not only think the above idea is good (how fucking embarrassing), you also do want to arm teachers.

What method of training/education do you think would be a better option? I'm not sure, but I think OKTexas was just responding to the thread premise with a suggestion for how it could be accomplished.

What method of training/education do you think would be a better option? I'm not sure, but I think OKTexas was just responding to the thread premise with a suggestion for how it could be accomplished.
A better option...than training children in schools during class time? Uh...

....NOT doing that? Come on...really?

Ok, so what is the solution.

You just want folks to think you’re smart without offering a solution.

Problem is, you just appear to be another educated idiot.

It was a reaction to a problem that could be solved as easily as banning the use of antidepressants on anyone under 21.

But then, that’s a solution, not a political stance.

I’d rather save lives then win elections based on paranoia

I was simply addressing the point that there is no particular law stating teachers cannot be armed.
Whereas it may be someone's opinion that is or isn't a good idea ... Opinion carries no authority.

There is a federal law regarding gun free zones and schools ... But states are allowed to write the exemptions to that law.

The federal law is not enforced to the same standards from state to state.
In some states, all that is required to carry a firearm on school property is a CAC permit and permission from the school.

I am just pointing out where if a school wants to arm their teachers ... It is possible to do so.
Some schools already arm teachers or staff ... And remain compliant with the laws within their jurisdiction.
To suggest it is a "new idea" or an initiative that hasn't already been put in place ... Is an attempt to allow opinion to override reality.

The solution...to what? Training classes? Uh...you pay for them yourself , on your own time and own dime, from a certified instructor?

Surely this is not what everybody is having a hard time puzzling out, right?

The solution...to what? Training classes? Uh...you pay for them yourself , on your own time and own dime, from a certified instructor?

Surely this is not what everybody is having a hard time puzzling out, right?

And it solves what?

Necessary for what purpose?

You are here for a reason, or what?

Forum List

Back