Should Trump freeze prices to prevent coronavirus gouging?

Should Trump freeze prices to prevent gouging?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Why wouldn't Trump freeze prices to prevent gouging?

Price "gouging" is already illegal in many jurisdictions. Why "freeze prices"?

Sounds like a good way to fuck up the economy, which is what the libs really want to do so they can blame Trump for it.

It's unconstitutional.
It's stupid.

Is it unconstitutional?

Do you not remember this... “I am today ordering a freeze on all prices and wages throughout the United States.”

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

It was unconstitutional, and counterproductive, when Nixon did it.

counterproductive is an understatement...but it was never found to be unconstitutional

Please show where the Consitution gives them this capability.

It has been done multiple times, WWII, Nixon, Carter. I do not know their reasoning, but I know it has never found to be unconstitutional

It was Nixon, not Carter because inflation was getting out of control!

What has meaning to me is meaningless....

Where does the Constitution say that the Fed Govt can take my tax dollars and give them to farmers because of a stupid ass trade war?

Where does the Constitution say that Congress can abdicate its power to declare war and give it to the POTUS?

58957033-S.jpg

Is it unconstitutional?

Do you not remember this... “I am today ordering a freeze on all prices and wages throughout the United States.”

Aug. 15, 1971

Nixon

counterproductive is an understatement...but it was never found to be unconstitutional

It has been done multiple times, WWII, Nixon, Carter. I do not know their reasoning, but I know it has never found to be unconstitutional

Carter limited the amount wages and prices could be raised.

President Ford's idea, to encourage people to wear "WIN" buttons "Whip Inflation Now" made more sense. It may have been stupid but was at least harmless.

The premise of this thread is that we're only just getting started on the coronavirus crisis. My state has no reported cases so far - but there is already panic buying in my area.

The premise of this thread is that we're only just getting started on the coronavirus crisis. My state has no reported cases so far - but there is already panic buying in my area.

Just because the media has been successful in creating panic so far, doesn't mean they will be able to continue to do so.

Just because the media has been successful in creating panic so far, doesn't mean they will be able to continue to do so.

The media isn't creating panic. The scientific facts coming from scientists and public health officials are creating the so-called panic. Then, we have Trump lying about the facts.

The media isn't creating panic. The scientific facts coming from scientists and public health officials are creating the so-called panic. Then, we have Trump lying about the facts.

What facts.

Corona deaths in U.S. = ? (maybe 10)

Flu deaths in U.S. in 2020 = 10,000

Those facts ?

What facts.

Those facts ?

Italy Sets Mandatory Quarantine For 16 Million People In Region Including Milan, Venice

You're right, I'm wrong I was out of the retail business by that time.

What facts.

Those facts ?

Italy Sets Mandatory Quarantine For 16 Million People In Region Including Milan, Venice

And you wonder why Italy is a third world nation ?

Without question, the media is trying desperately trying to hang this around the neck of President Donald Trump.

In order to avoid confusion and the nastiness, you are proud to exhibit President Trump has appeared with our experts. Today he appeared at the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, GA.

It must be extremely depressing for Democrats watching our President handle this crisis so deftly!

Last edited:
Who sued?...When was the case ruled on?

As far as I know, nobody...thus it has not been found unconstitutional...seems simple enough
Actually, the SC found it unconstitutional in the early days of the New Deal. It ruled the NRA to be unconstitutional, and it's primary function was to set and regulate prices.

And yet it has been done at least 3 times since then...weird.
When did Congress ever let the Constitution get in its way?

Right before the last time a president let the Constitution get in his way
That was during the Obama administration, moron.

Consumers face coronavirus price-gouging

As fears over the coronavirus grow, people are frantically buying up supplies and leaving store shelves empty. Prices are also sky-rocketing online as demand grows, such as two large bottles of Purell hand sanitizer on sale for nearly $300 on Amazon. The same size normally sells for about $9 a bottle. An Amazon spokesperson says the company does not allow price gouging and it has "recently blocked or removed tens of thousands of offers." Anna Werner reports from a pharmacy in Manhattan on how coronavirus price gouging is affecting consumers.

How coronavirus price-gouging is hurting consumers

Have you experienced price gouging? I've heard several people say that they have. Since I don't do much shopping, I can't speak to any personal experiences - yet.

This is what happens.....

Remembering Nixon's Wage and Price Controls

As Nobel Prize‐winning economist Milton Friedman correctly predicted, however, Nixon’s gambit ended “in utter failure and the emergence into the open of the suppressed inflation.” The people would pay the price — but not until after he’d coasted to a landslide re‐election in 1972 over Democratic Sen. George McGovern.

By the time Nixon reimposed a temporary freeze in June 1973, Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw explain in The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, it was obvious that price controls didn’t work: “Ranchers stopped shipping their cattle to the market, farmers drowned their chickens, and consumers emptied the shelves of supermarkets.”

The Unhappy 40th Anniversary of Nixon's Wage and Price Controls

The controls continued on gasoline, causing artificial shortages (as price controls usually do) symbolized by gas lines during the 1970s. Only when President Reagan finally lifted the controls on oil and gasoline in 1981 did the specter of short supplies finally disappear. (The 10 percent import surcharge did prove to be temporary, lasting only until the end of 1971.)

Why wouldn't Trump freeze prices to prevent gouging?
Gouging on what? purell can name it's price, don't buy it if you think it is too expensive...I would hope we let the market dictate price, when folks are not willing to pay a price they won't.
But the government is their Union, and if it represents them striking over anything their little hearts desire, then they are happy. They can't make it without their government in which they've set up to represent them. Even though government isn't supposed to be this way, and representation is supposed to come in the form of themselves creating their own Union (leaving the federal government out of it or just as a referee so to speak), they instead use the government to go against other American's interest by strong arming them with the threat of government force, otherwise just to put them into submission. It's not right, but it's something the leftist learned over time, and they've been using the tactic everytime they are in control of government. It's really sad, because look at the damage it has since caused this nation.

Forum List

Back