"Smaller government" advocates

Small government lets industry dump anything they want into our air or water

Conservatives – the social right in particular – have no interest in ‘less’ or ‘smaller’ government; indeed, many on the right seek to increase the size and authority of government at the expense of individual liberty.

I really don't like politics based on "they .." thinking, but you've got a point. Conservatives who think this way are no better than liberals who think this way.

I don't get people who say they want smaller government.

Mainly because I don't believe they want smaller government.

Most of the people who advocate smaller government are the sort of people who support the US having a massive armed forces. They're the sort of people who want the government to ban same sex marriage. They're the sort of people who want the govt to ban drugs like Marijuana, perhaps even alcohol.

In other words, they're people who want the government in YOUR face, just not in their face. They're happy for big government, just so long as it doesn't step on their patch. They're not gay, they're not into recreational drugs, they're not getting invaded by the US armed forces, so they just don't care and they're happy for big government in those areas.

Also, I've been discussing government subsidies. Yes, we all know about welfare (for your information, before you jump on my back about it, I'm in favor of welfare based on how long you have worked, and before you've worked for 5 years you should get no welfare at all unless you're in education and doing well in your education at that, and then the longer you've worked, the more you can get, like after 10 years an increase in payments, if you need them) and the left giving money to people who really shouldn't be getting it, but this isn't what's been spoken about here, so lay off this topic.
Government subsidies to farmer and big corporations. Seem the right is all in favor of handing out money to rich people. Seems strange to talk about smaller govt one minute, then advocate govt giving out loads of money to businesses the next minute.

Does anyone actually, really, truly, support smaller government?

Your idea of smaller government is no laws. Just because we have laws doesn't mean we are behind big government. There is a difference between a country that is ruled by law and a government that coddles you cradle-to-grave.

If government shouldn't be intruding in marriage, is it okay with you if a man marries several women? How about if a man marries his daughter or son? What about a man that wishes to marry one of his sheep? Should government stand idly by and observe, or should they place limits on marriage? Or perhaps, you believe government should only back-off when it comes to gay marriage, but all others, okay for government to make restrictions.

What I find the most interesting is that people who are behind pot legalization were the same ones who have complained about cigarette smoke for decades. If you think government should not be restricting people as to what they smoke, then I guess you're okay with government allowing cigarette smoke on airplanes, in stores, in the movie theater, in busses.

Government creates law for the protection of the people. Most people don't want drug addicts roaming our streets with the police incapable of doing anything about it because drugs are legal. We don't want to come home to a ransacked house because a drug addict needed money for his fix. We don't need to be supporting these people because they can't work which is the case for many addicted to opiate drugs. We don't want them hanging around our playground where our children are left unattended. That's not big government, that's common sense.

No, my idea of smaller govt is not no laws. But thanks for pretending you know me.

Is it okay if a man marries several women? Not my thing. But if everyone is happy then what's the problem?

I'm against smoking. However the doesn't mean I need to tell people they can't smoke. There's a big difference. I would encourage people to quit, however if they want to allow them to.
Am I okay with them banning smoking in certain places? Yes I am. Why? Because if a person smokes on a plane, they're making the air bad for everyone else. This is where you can do what you like as long as you don't harm other comes into play.
You can smoke where you like, as long as you're not forcing me to smoke your smoke.

Oh, you see, there you go again.

You want government there to protect you from being uncomfortable with cigarette smoke, but want druggies running around my front yard where my children play at. You are for big government too apparently.

I see you limited my marriage question, so one more time: should government forbid family marriages such as a father marrying his daughter, mother and son, sister and brother, first cousin marriage, man and beast? Or do you little government people find government regulations on all marriage intrusive?

Hat's off to you rightwinger, anyone that can formulate an entire belief system based on nothing more than bumper sticker slogans and the latest fad at the tattoo parlor is truly a wonder to behold, well done.
.:clap:

Republicans have advocated abolishment of the EPA

Something they have been fighting for over thirty years......small government

We have been down this road before. Low information lefties try to tell us that small government advocates want yada yada dirty water (and outlawing alcohol?) . The Founding Fathers spelled out the duty of the federal government in a single sentence "to provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare". Nobody ever thought back then that the federal government would become a gigantic unwieldy bureaucratic nightmare consisting of thousands of often competing small bureaucracies often with little or nothing to do but act as employment agencies. You have to be a complete idiot not to think the federal government needs to be cut down to a more efficient operation subject to the control of the people. Pot heads have a fantasy that enforcement of drug laws is too expensive and the Military is better equipped than it needs to be but it's just a pipe dream. The opposite is true.

Yep, the Libertarians.As a matter of principle. And we only garner 3% of the vote.

That means that 97% DO NOT WANT a smaller government.

They want a government which interferes with the economy, with their neighbors lives , one which meddles in the internal affairs of other nations.

97% are stupid fucks - I am amazed that we are not worse off - pure fucking luck.

Conservatives, libertarians, and most others on the right also have this ridiculous, inconsistent perception of what constitutes 'government.'

They bemoan the 'evils' of the Federal government, while at the same time take no issue with state and local governments seeking to deny citizens their rights, when in fact state and local governments exhibit the greater likelihood of indeed violating citizens' rights.

It was state and local governments who fought to retain segregation.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny citizens their right to counsel.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny interracial couples their right to marry.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny women their right to privacy.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny immigrants their right to due process.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny gay Americans their right to equal protection of the law.

It was state and local governments who fought to criminalize homosexuality in violation of the 14th Amendment.

It was state and local governments who fought to deny gay Americans their right to enter into marriage contracts.

And these are but a few examples of how state and local governments sought to violate the fundamental, inalienable rights and protected liberties of each American, where not only did conservatives, libertarians, and most others on the right fail to take issue with such violations, but actually supported and facilitated these and other violations of citizens' civil rights.

So much for 'small government' conservatives.

Hat's off to you rightwinger, anyone that can formulate an entire belief system based on nothing more than bumper sticker slogans and the latest fad at the tattoo parlor is truly a wonder to behold, well done.
.:clap:

Republicans have advocated abolishment of the EPA
LOL, where ever did you get the silly notion that Republicans are advocates of small government? Don't tell me you actually fell for their propaganda too, first you buy the Democrats bullshit and now you're buying into the Republican brand of bullshit, damn I'm worried about you.

Republicans don't represent small government they represent bigger government in a different configuration than what the Democrats want.

Most of the people who advocate smaller government are the sort of people who support the US having a massive armed forces. They're the sort of people who want the government to ban same sex marriage. They're the sort of people who want the govt to ban drugs like Marijuana, perhaps even alcohol.

In other words, they're people who want the government in YOUR face, just not in their face. They're happy for big government, just so long as it doesn't step on their patch. They're not gay, they're not into recreational drugs, they're not getting invaded by the US armed forces, so they just don't care and they're happy for big government in those areas.

Also, I've been discussing government subsidies. Yes, we all know about welfare (for your information, before you jump on my back about it, I'm in favor of welfare based on how long you have worked, and before you've worked for 5 years you should get no welfare at all unless you're in education and doing well in your education at that, and then the longer you've worked, the more you can get, like after 10 years an increase in payments, if you need them) and the left giving money to people who really shouldn't be getting it, but this isn't what's been spoken about here, so lay off this topic.
Government subsidies to farmer and big corporations. Seem the right is all in favor of handing out money to rich people. Seems strange to talk about smaller govt one minute, then advocate govt giving out loads of money to businesses the next minute.

Nice attempt at a strawman. :oops-28:

First you say "I don't get people who say they want smaller government" and then proceed to spout all this nonsense about what they believe, you might actually get their point if you started listening to what people that believe in "smaller" government actually have to say on the subject instead of just making up a whole bunch inane bullshit out of thin air.

I was posting why I don't get it. I don't get why someone would say they support something when they don't support it? Do you understand why someone would do that?
I not only support it, I live it.

We have been down this road before. Low information lefties try to tell us that small government advocates want yada yada dirty water (and outlawing alcohol?) . The Founding Fathers spelled out the duty of the federal government in a single sentence "to provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare". Nobody ever thought back then that the federal government would become a gigantic unwieldy bureaucratic nightmare consisting of thousands of often competing small bureaucracies often with little or nothing to do but act as employment agencies. You have to be a complete idiot not to think the federal government needs to be cut down to a more efficient operation subject to the control of the people. Pot heads have a fantasy that enforcement of drug laws is too expensive and the Military is better equipped than it needs to be but it's just a pipe dream. The opposite is true.

OP does have a point about larger government, but that's why we on the right are subdivided into two parties: the Tea Party and the Establishment.

The two biggest threats to our freedom (in my opinion) are appointed judges and bureaucracies. That's because both can actually legislate and not be held accountable. Bureaucracies are not only never mentioned in our Constitution, but are used by politicians to get away with things the public would never support, and still be able to blame somebody else.

The United States needs to eliminate all bureaucracies.

Let's be clear what they mean by smaller government

They want the things they like and benefit from.......they want a smaller government on things others receive

Why would anyone want government they don't benefit from? The point: everyone benefits from a national defence. If you don't think so, just ask the citizens of Kuwait or Israel. Only a select minority benefits from welfare, and everyone gets screwed by Social Security and Medicare.

Big government let's big government start endless wars, grow more govt, create massive social programs, rack up never ending debt etc.

About what I thought
Small Government means not helping the poor

Where have conservatives ever complained about big government meaning we have the largest military in world history?

Big government let's big government start endless wars, grow more govt, create massive social programs, rack up never ending debt etc.

About what I thought

Where have conservatives ever complained about big government meaning we have the largest military in world history?

The govts main duty is the protection of its citizens. First and foremost and no that doesn't mean never ending spending or wars. It's too bad that you can't be that honest on all of the worthless social programs that do nothing for the citizens.

About what I thought

I don't even like him much, but Rand Paul comes to mind. It's a fairly common viewpoint, actually.

Correct.

'Small government' means businesses may pollute at will, jeopardize the health and safety of their employees, and endanger the lives of consumers.

It depends on the government. China's got a pretty big one. Size doesn't really matter as much as you might have heard. ;)

Forum List

Back