SNAP (food stamps) should be restricted to rice, flour, rolled oats, and sugar

The problem with our society is that poor people don't suffer enough

If you make it too easy to be poor, they will never want to study hard and become CEOs

If you make it to easy they will never want to get off Welfare and get a job. Why should they when someone else is paying their bills for them.

We have loads of freeloaders in America and you can bet most of them like it just fine.
Like the surfer kid on the beach saying he doesn't have to work and uses public assistance to purchase high end food products and has barbeque's on the beach and invites his friends to party.

Dude, you bring the drugs and alcohol and the taxpayer supplies the grub.

This is what many have an issue with.

14348796_1853473881555853_2076529774_n.jpg

the problem is both sides have valid points....there is a lot of abuse in the food stamp program but does that mean you need to take it all away or reform it? it is easy to see the abuse....it is hard to see the damage that could be done by taking it away from needy families...

daycare is an issue for single moms....transportation is another issue....

i still think staples should just be free....some people will be happy to eat beans and rice all their lives....most wont....provide jobs...we have bridges etc falling down....what would be wrong with the ccc program?

If you make it too easy to be poor, they will never want to study hard and become CEOs

If you make it to easy they will never want to get off Welfare and get a job. Why should they when someone else is paying their bills for them.

We have loads of freeloaders in America and you can bet most of them like it just fine.
Like the surfer kid on the beach saying he doesn't have to work and uses public assistance to purchase high end food products and has barbeque's on the beach and invites his friends to party.

...you keep spitting bull shit propaganda when the stats don't lie. over 80% of people that get SNAP are from either working families, children, elderly, or disabled. But you keep saying the same shit... over and over like it is the norm and it will make it true.

Don't gimme any crap about how poor people need a balanced diet. As it is these snappers spend all this money on junk food. A diet of staples will be better for them. And MUCH cheaper for the taxpayers. Eating just those 4 staples, a person can live on a dollar a day.

Where is the protein in your proposal? Where is the vitamin C, without which you get rickets?

You've never prepared a nutritrious meal in your entire life. The amount you know about eating properly would fit through the eye of a needle.

the problem is both sides have valid points....there is a lot of abuse in the food stamp program but does that mean you need to take it all away or reform it? it is easy to see the abuse....it is hard to see the damage that could be done by taking it away from needy families...

i still think staples should just be free....some people will be happy to eat beans and rice all their lives....most wont....provide jobs...we have bridges etc falling down....what would be wrong with the ccc program?

But there isn't a lot of abuse of SNAP benefits... it is one of the least fraudulent areas in the government.

Don't gimme any crap about how poor people need a balanced diet. As it is these snappers spend all this money on junk food. A diet of staples will be better for them. And MUCH cheaper for the taxpayers. Eating just those 4 staples, a person can live on a dollar a day.
Why not end our War on Drugs?

Anyway, it is the "funny money" of EBT cards that is the problem.

Unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed, should be our more cost effective social safety net, for unemployed labor.

One of our customers quit his job when his wife died. After all the food stamps, gas money, daycare and welfare checks, he was actually going to make MORE. No shit. And he had a full time job with a county highway dept..
A lot of young moms have figured that out--if they go to work at a minimum wage job they lose their medical, their rent assistance, their heating help, their daycare ... and it loses them a LOT of money. I know how a lot of these folks live, and they do not live "easy," it is not "fun," and I can tell from the posts here that those of you condemning these welfare recipients have never actually been on it or know anything about what it's like to end the month with not a single dollar to your name and kids to feed for another four or five days. Or a toddler who needs diapers or a big pile of dirty clothes that need to go to laundromat, or not enough gas to get to the welfare office for your mandatory three month appointment. LIFE SUCKS being poor, guys.

I like the idea of making SNAP benefits more in line with WIC, as far as purchasing nutritious foods. Actually, from my job in the grocery store when I was in college, I thought SNAP already was. I remember checking a list to see if some foods were included--maybe I'm thinking of WIC. I know it didn't include high sugar cereals like Captain Crunch, so in the food pantry donations everyone should include their favorite high sugar cereal as a treat for the kids!
I like how you assume everyone doesn't know what its like. I have had to break into a neighbors chicken coop to steal eggs just to eat. I don't even want to hear that mess. And know whats worse about it? Its was all my decisions that lead to that. Good thing I grew up!
SNAP can now get you pretty much anything. You can even get pizza slices from the little general down the street.

Only if that place is breaking the law. You aren't supposed to be able to buy any food that is prepared (heated).
IDK about that. I think it might just be if you can eat it there? I know San Diego started an EBT restaurant thing where participating restaurants will be able to accept EBT.

No, I know the laws. You can't get prepared cooked food. You can get a cold cut sandwich and things like a salad, but not cooked food. So a slice of pizza would be off limits. You can however go to the places and get a pizza put together, and then take it home and cook it yourself.
OK
Restaurant Meals Program
And the laws aren't crystal clear, actually. I know damn well you can order a pizza with it. USDA said so. There was an ordeal about it a few years ago.

You live in a screwed up state. Only parents who are the primary support of their children should get welfare, not surfer dudes. I think you might have that a little confused.

Food stamps should be used for meat, veggies, milk, dry goods and eggs and that's it.

I've seem people in 7-11 grab every junk food you can think of and soda and pay for it with their handy dandy EBT card. Nothing nutritional about anything they bought with tax payer dollars.

Hell I watched a woman in Wal-Mart show up at the customer service counter with a full cart of groceries. She turned that full cart in. Wal-Mart couldn't put the money back on her EBT card so they gave her a Wal-Mart card and she took it and went shopping. Way to use our tax dollars. Talk about freeloaders.

The Fed and State Govts. should allocate Food Stamps for just what I named and nothing else.
Went to the local seafood store for a bushel of steamed crabs.

Sign on the door. We accept EBT.

$130. For a bushel.
Whose fault do you think it is that expensive seafood or steaks can be purchased with EBT cards? Do you think a bunch of poor people are wandering around the halls of Congress lobbying against reform that would place limits on the foods available from the food assistance programs?
It is the food industry, the producers, and sellers that lobby the halls of Congress and insist that all manner of food, no matter how expensive or unhealthy be available.
It should be noted that a program exists and has been used for years called the WIC program. It is a program that marks on the package and lists certain specific foods and brand foods that can be purchased by pregnant women and woman with infant children. It forces the consumer to make healthy and limited choices with health a priority, and hence, contributes to lower healthcare cost.
At one time you couldn't purchase precooked fare with food assistance.

I'd really like to put an end to K Street lobbying. And for those on assistance make better choices.

I was in the grocery store and the family rolled 2 carts to the checkout. 1 with food items and 1 with non food items.

Pulls out the EBT card for the one cart and then a large roll of bills for the other.

I'm loading my groceries in the SUV and he opens the trunk of a relatively new Mercedes.

Now I know that not all of the recipients are driving high end cars, but it does make you wonder when an individual on public assistance has a Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes or BMW.

And I call bullshit on your story, and even if it is true, it isn't the norm. Punishing a whole group of people for one person is a load of shit.
You can call bullshit all you want.

In my post I stated it was not all recipients, but you can't tell me it doesn't happen and that some of these individuals are not driving high end cars.

Take a ride to Meade Village, just off Base and count the relatively new high end cars parked in the public housing parking spaces.

Bullshit my ass.

This thread is a true indication of the problem with SNAP. In this thread people keep pointing out myths about the system, then someone provides facts to prove them wrong, and then three or four posts later someone will repeat the same myth... then they get proven wrong, and three or four posts later someone repeats the myth again... and so many people repeat the myth that people ignore the facts and start believing the myth is FACTS. It's not.

A lot of young moms have figured that out--if they go to work at a minimum wage job they lose their medical, their rent assistance, their heating help, their daycare ... and it loses them a LOT of money. I know how a lot of these folks live, and they do not live "easy," it is not "fun," and I can tell from the posts here that those of you condemning these welfare recipients have never actually been on it or know anything about what it's like to end the month with not a single dollar to your name and kids to feed for another four or five days. Or a toddler who needs diapers or a big pile of dirty clothes that need to go to laundromat, or not enough gas to get to the welfare office for your mandatory three month appointment. LIFE SUCKS being poor, guys.

I like the idea of making SNAP benefits more in line with WIC, as far as purchasing nutritious foods. Actually, from my job in the grocery store when I was in college, I thought SNAP already was. I remember checking a list to see if some foods were included--maybe I'm thinking of WIC. I know it didn't include high sugar cereals like Captain Crunch, so in the food pantry donations everyone should include their favorite high sugar cereal as a treat for the kids!
I like how you assume everyone doesn't know what its like. I have had to break into a neighbors chicken coop to steal eggs just to eat. I don't even want to hear that mess. And know whats worse about it? Its was all my decisions that lead to that. Good thing I grew up!
SNAP can now get you pretty much anything. You can even get pizza slices from the little general down the street.

Only if that place is breaking the law. You aren't supposed to be able to buy any food that is prepared (heated).
IDK about that. I think it might just be if you can eat it there? I know San Diego started an EBT restaurant thing where participating restaurants will be able to accept EBT.

No, I know the laws. You can't get prepared cooked food. You can get a cold cut sandwich and things like a salad, but not cooked food. So a slice of pizza would be off limits. You can however go to the places and get a pizza put together, and then take it home and cook it yourself.
OK
Restaurant Meals Program
And the laws aren't crystal clear, actually. I know damn well you can order a pizza with it. USDA said so. There was an ordeal about it a few years ago.

NO, you can not order a cooked pizza with an EBT card. You can buy an uncooked one and take it home and cook it, but you can not buy a cooked pizza.

Food stamps should be used for meat, veggies, milk, dry goods and eggs and that's it.

I've seem people in 7-11 grab every junk food you can think of and soda and pay for it with their handy dandy EBT card. Nothing nutritional about anything they bought with tax payer dollars.

Hell I watched a woman in Wal-Mart show up at the customer service counter with a full cart of groceries. She turned that full cart in. Wal-Mart couldn't put the money back on her EBT card so they gave her a Wal-Mart card and she took it and went shopping. Way to use our tax dollars. Talk about freeloaders.

The Fed and State Govts. should allocate Food Stamps for just what I named and nothing else.

$130. For a bushel.
Whose fault do you think it is that expensive seafood or steaks can be purchased with EBT cards? Do you think a bunch of poor people are wandering around the halls of Congress lobbying against reform that would place limits on the foods available from the food assistance programs?
It is the food industry, the producers, and sellers that lobby the halls of Congress and insist that all manner of food, no matter how expensive or unhealthy be available.
It should be noted that a program exists and has been used for years called the WIC program. It is a program that marks on the package and lists certain specific foods and brand foods that can be purchased by pregnant women and woman with infant children. It forces the consumer to make healthy and limited choices with health a priority, and hence, contributes to lower healthcare cost.

I'd really like to put an end to K Street lobbying. And for those on assistance make better choices.

I was in the grocery store and the family rolled 2 carts to the checkout. 1 with food items and 1 with non food items.

Pulls out the EBT card for the one cart and then a large roll of bills for the other.

I'm loading my groceries in the SUV and he opens the trunk of a relatively new Mercedes.

Now I know that not all of the recipients are driving high end cars, but it does make you wonder when an individual on public assistance has a Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes or BMW.

And I call bullshit on your story, and even if it is true, it isn't the norm. Punishing a whole group of people for one person is a load of shit.
And never once did I say I wanted to cut anyone off of food programs.

You are blowing a gasket for nothing.

I don't want children to go hungry.

But I don't want them obese and lazy either.

People need protein. None of those provide essential protein.

This thread is a true indication of the problem with SNAP. In this thread people keep pointing out myths about the system, then someone provides facts to prove them wrong, and then three or four posts later someone will repeat the same myth... then they get proven wrong, and three or four posts later someone repeats the myth again... and so many people repeat the myth that people ignore the facts and start believing the myth is FACTS. It's not.
Your mythical food stamp program is the problem....

A dollar a day? What century are you living in? :ack-1:

work a food bank....you will be amazed at the nice cars and purses....and what pisses me off about food banks....local groceries donate left over cakes and such.....so you see families stocking up on cakes ...and then they have a vending machine..cokes for 50 cents....

But there isn't a lot of abuse of SNAP benefits... it is one of the least fraudulent areas in the government.
Perhaps but you are still talking billions of dollars of abuse. Considering all the other abuses that happen in our other govt depts, I guess 3 or 4 billion isn't that much, ey?

$130. For a bushel.

You can call bullshit all you want.

In my post I stated it was not all recipients, but you can't tell me it doesn't happen and that some of these individuals are not driving high end cars.

Take a ride to Meade Village, just off Base and count the relatively new high end cars parked in the public housing parking spaces.

Bullshit my ass.

Do you know their situation? Did they just lose their job and still have the car? Get laid off? Are they giving someone else a ride to buy groceries? You don't just fucking assume shit and then go around stating it as facts. That's the problem with this thread. Shit, I'd guarantee half the stuff said in this thread about stories of people abusing SNAP benefits weren't seen first hand, but instead were heard from a friend of a friend... which means it's total bull shit.

Forum List

Back