So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

This has been the topic on talk radio here in Grand Rapids this morning.

One caller - I believe from the Fair Housing Center - said the ad would have been fine if the woman had instead written something like "Christian woman seeks roommate" rather than "Christian roommate wanted."

This PC crap is just insane sometimes.

I wonder what she would have said if I showed up on her doorstep and asked where do we sleep...........LOL!:lol:

I understand landlords have rejected homos seeking rentals, so I suppose any combo goes.

Last edited:
more ads

$600 looking for female to share wooded home, 20 min to Portland, - (N Yarmouth, Me)

some more

$450 Roomate to share new house - (Saco)

$325 Room for Rent - (Lebanon)

$100 Furnished Room for female - (Lewiston, ME) pic

Bi female needs a Bi female roommate - (Berwick ME N.H. line) pic

$350 Female roommate wanted - (Kennebunk Maine)

those were craig's list ones....

more ads

$600 looking for female to share wooded home, 20 min to Portland, - (N Yarmouth, Me)

some more

We don't know if that is a male or female, correct?

We don't know if it is a male or female asking.

Basically we don't know what the gender is, but chances are if two guys go to rent a place, they will be turned down, yet two is fine...............

I wonder what they would say if I rented a christian owned house with two females? Oooops!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
more ads

some more

We don't know if it is a male or female asking.

Basically we don't know what the gender is, but chances are if two guys go to rent a place, they will be turned down, yet two is fine...............

I wonder what they would say if I rented a christian owned house with two females? Oooops!!!

What we know is that in the room mate wanted sections of classified ads, People are searching for female room mates, which is the equivalent to searching for a Christian room mate and putting it in print....

and the argument from those who think this woman is wrong and discriminating, has been that the law states that owners searching for a room mate are not exempted for discrimination laws that include Sex, race, religion etc....if they ADVERTISE.

And I am saying that they must misunderstand the Federal Laws on this....why else would there be a dozen or more ads a week just here in the boon docks of maine, for FEMALE room mates or Christian room mate in the other ad I linked to? Are they REALLY all breaking the law? I don't think so...

more ads

some more

What we know is that in the room mate wanted sections of classified ads, People are searching for female room mates, which is the equivalent to searching for a Christian room mate and putting it in print....

and the argument from those who think this woman is wrong and discriminating, has been that the law states that owners searching for a room mate are not exempted for discrimination laws that include Sex, race, religion etc....if they ADVERTISE.

And I am saying that they must misunderstand the Federal Laws on this....why else would there be a dozen or more ads a week just here in the boon docks of maine, for FEMALE room mates or Christian room mate in the other ad I linked to? Are they REALLY all breaking the law? I don't think so...
sigh...it isn't the Federal law, it is Michigan state law. And I believe it has been misinterpreted.

This will never amount to anything.

And please don't make me explain the facts of life to you, Care. Male/Female is not the same thing as Christian/Other Religion.

:lol:

more ads

some more

$100/mo for a furnished room? :eek:

What's the catch?

my marketplace ads for maine...

Female roommate Oct 22
Looking for a working female christian roommate to share an apt in Bangor. $375 a month. Must like pets.call 735-556X

The Maine Marketplace :: Brought to you by WABI TV 5
I'm guessing we don't understand the EXCEPTIONS to the rule/law...
Clearly, she's discriminating against those with penii and/or pet allergies or phobias...
I think the woman who posted this ad should be taken to the town square, place in stocks and flogged.

Just talked to a real estate agent.
Federal law covers this:
1. If you advertise and ask or $ then you can not discriminate on religion.
2. If you know the religion of someone and know that they are not your religion then it is ok not to rent to them. It is not ok to ask what religion they are.

Federal law covers this:
2. If you know the religion of someone and know that they are not your religion then it is ok not to rent to them. It is not ok to ask what religion they are.

First of all this was posted on a CHURCH BULLETIN BOARD. It was not an advertisement in a newspaper. Second, there is no mention of a price in the articles I've seen on the subject. It was a request for a roommate. Hell, it didn't even say anything about being a rental. For all you know it was going to be a free room offered to a Christian.

Rick

Federal law covers this:

First of all this was posted on a CHURCH BULLETIN BOARD. It was not an advertisement in a newspaper. Second, there is no mention of a price in the articles I've seen on the subject. It was a request for a roommate. Hell, it didn't even say anything about being a rental. For all you know it was going to be a free room offered to a Christian.

Rick

"to share costs" is hard for you to determine if it was a rental or not?
Why does someone put someone on a church bulletin board? Not to advertise something?:cuckoo:
I don't like the 65 mph laws here but I obey them. That is how it works.

I'd rent to the damned atheist that insisted I let him live with me then I'd play gospel music all day long. and as long as I could into the night too. I'd invite all my friends over 7 days a week for prayer meetings tool.

Federal law covers this:

Rick

Why does someone put someone on a church bulletin board? Not to advertise something?:cuckoo:

Got a link to ANYWHERE that shows this post on a church bulletin board said "to share costs" because I haven't seen it.

What I've seen is it said "Christian roommate wanted" and then had her contact information.

And even so, it still doesn't fit into the federal law, because as has been pointed out earlier on this very thread there are exceptions to that law.

And the commerce clause refers to paid advertisements, such as newspaper ads. It does not apply to a church bulletin board.

But, thanks for playing.

Rick

Last edited:

Rick

Got a link to ANYWHERE that shows this post on a church bulletin board said "to share costs" because I haven't seen it.

What I've seen is it said "Christian roommate wanted" and then had her contact information.

And even so, it still doesn't fit into the federal law, because as has been pointed out earlier on this very thread there are exceptions to that law.

And the commerce clause refers to paid advertisements, such as newspaper ads. It does not apply to a church bulletin board.

But, thanks for playing.

Rick

The Fair Housing Act is pretty explicit - it applies to "Making, publishing, or causing to be made a statement that shows a preference for a particular group". That sentence makes no exceptions for people unpaid statements, and the other limited exceptions to the law do not apply here.

Forum List

Back