So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

Psst! Ravi is a lady... well, a female anyway. I suspect that many on here would argue with me for calling her a lady, but she's not all that bad. ;)

Immie

"Not that bad" compared to what? Athlete's foot? Genital warts? I'm just looking for a comparison scale here.

I have found that if you treat her the way you want to be treated she can be quite pleasant to have a discussion with. That doesn't mean that I think she is always right... or even mostly right, for that matter, but treat her as you want to be treated and she will return the favor.

Funny how that works, isn't it? :)

Immie

Indeed.

I just happen to like being flamed and neg-repped. :D

You mean like an adult marrying their 14 year old fuck toy?

How about an adult man marrying his 14 year old male lover?

Maybe you meant a Brother marrying his sister?

How about a mother marrying her son?

You mean like that?
Fourteen year olds aren't consenting adults so you are shit out of luck.

he just wanted to type the words '14 year old fuck toy'.

and i particularly love how they try to make like pedophilia and incest are the same as civil rights.

nutters.

So did you, bish.
Why is incest different from homosexuality when it comes to civil rights? There is a case going through the courts making this exact claim, btw.

any set of freely consenting adults should be able to enter into any contract they wish. that is all marraige is anyway

Which is actually the problem. Christians do not see it as a contract, they see it as a commitment before God. If we don't even agree what 'marriage' is, how will we ever agree on the rest of it.

the law sees it as a contract and that is all that matters in this instance. as long as the marriages are state-only and churches aren't sued for discrimination or some other BS if they don't marry gays, I am just fine with the state / church split.

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”​

:eusa_eh:

:wtf:

This is so stupid for so many reasons...

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a Grand Rapids woman who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.
“The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.
“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”
Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s alleged violation was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of her case, the Christian woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
“This is outrageous,” said attorney Joel Oster, with the Alliance Defense Fund. His organization is representing the woman free of charge. “Clearly this woman as a right to pick and choose who she wants to live with.”
Oster said he’s sent a letter to the state asking them to dismiss the case as groundless.
Christians shouldn’t live in fear of being punished by the government for being Christians,” he said. “It is completely absurd to try to penalize a single Christian woman for privately seeking a Christian roommate at church–an obviously legal and constitutionally protected activity,”
But Haynes said they plan on pursuing the matter.
“We want to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.
The person who filed the initial complaint apparently saw the ad on the church bulletin board.
It included the words, “Christian roommate wanted” along with her contact information. Had the ad not included the word “Christian,’ she said it would not have been illegal.
“If you read it and you were not Christian, would you not feel welcome to rent there?” Haynes asked.
Rest here>>>

Why did she have to specify that she wants a Christian roommate in an ad that she placed in her Church?

Good point. Clearly, it should be illegal to advertise a desire for a roommate someplace discriminatory like a church...

It's not rocket science. The law says you can't make discriminatory statements in these matters. When prospective renters call, it can be determined in the first few minutes if the person is a Christian or not. This is a lot of saber rattling by retards.

You can't post such statements on Craigslist either. Deal with it. :cuckoo:

So it should be illegal to not waste everyone's time by saying I'm looking for a Christian non-smoker with no pets who can afford a security deposit?

Good Lord! Sometimes I think I'll never see anything more lunatic than what I'm then looking at ... then it happens: An even more lunatic issue.

Hell, if I wanted a roommate who is male, and advertised such preference, would that mean I'm discriminating against women? If a lesbian came to my door to fill a roommate request in an ad, would I get sued for discrimination?

Holy mackerel!

Well, how many times have we seen ads for roommates that specify "non-smoker"? Yeah, it's discriminating, but what's wrong with that? Everything about the process of choosing one applicant over another is discriminating.

I thought smoking was a choice, not something you were born with. As for religion, I don't think faith and smoking are fair comparisons.
You're not 'born with' a religion, either.

I heard about this when I was walking the dog...my jaw dropped on the news.
People ask "what freedoms have we lost?" Looks like this may be one of them, yes it is little but it can have a snowball effect.
Although, there are those who are blinded by their ideology AAAAAwryCHoooooo that will defend the government intruding on individual rights

You mean like conservatives defending Bush for illegal wiretaps, denying speedy trials, the use of torture and denying habeas?

Those freedoms?

Are you talking about the WAR on terrorism?
Can you morons that that to another thread?

"Christian woman seeks room mates"
"Woman seeks Christian room mates"

One of those statements is discriminatory...

No it isn't.

So what? You've every right to discriminate when it comes to whom you let in your home and whom you choose to share a home with.

Yep, and the law supports your right to do so. However technically she violated the law when she put it in a public Ad. A poorly written law, and one that it appears is being selectively enforced. Considering Thousands of Adds looking for one sex or another as a room mate can be found in papers across this country daily, and nobody is suing them. I am sure if you dig you will find people who are anti Christian behind this law suit.

No it isn't.

So what? You've every right to discriminate when it comes to whom you let in your home and whom you choose to share a home with.

Yep, and the law supports your right to do so. However technically she violated the law when she put it in a public Ad. A poorly written law, and one that it appears is being selectively enforced. Considering Thousands of Adds looking for one sex or another as a room mate can be found in papers across this country daily, and nobody is suing them. I am sure if you dig you will find people who are anti Christian behind this law suit.

There is no lawsuit.

At least not yet.

New PC ad.............
Attractive (or ugly) male (or female) seeks same (or not), who enjoys long walks on the beach (or other), romantic evenings (or hostile nightmares), and horse back riding (goats are fine too).
Must be ……. errr ……. i would prefer ……. uhhh …… call me.
persons may or may not be seeking or avoiding person or other entity or non-entity for either interaction or non-interaction. Do or do not call the number below or any other number

There is no lawsuit.

At least not yet.

Yeah, I misspoke, Meant to say if they go through with this law suit. Which clearly a lot of Libs want to see happen.

How about singles ads that specifically lay out the physical attributes and sexual orientation sought in would-be answerers to the ad? These ads are all over the place. Are millions of Americans in violation of the law for placing those ads?
Only if they specify the sex or race of the person they're seeking.

So yes...

Forum List

Back