So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

"Christian woman seeks room mates"
"Woman seeks Christian room mates"

One of those statements is discriminatory...

No it isn't.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it is.

So what? You've every right to discriminate when it comes to whom you let in your home and whom you choose to share a home with.

My "stupid" meter got pegged on this one.
The OP has nothing to do with letting someone in your home. It has to do with a commercial arrangement. And the law specifies that discrimination in housing is illegal. There are some exceptions and I dont know if the case in the OP is one of them. But discriminating in housing is illegal generally speaking.

Here you go again...

The federal Fair Housing Act and the Fair Housing Amendment Acts (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619, 3631) and many state and local laws, prohibit a landlord from selecting tenants based on certain criteria. A landlord may not refuse to rent to a tenant for the following reasons:

* Race or color
* National origin
* Religion
* Disability or handicap, including physical and mental impairment
* Sex, including sexual harassment
* Familial status (includes protection for people with children under age 18 or pregnant women)
Housing Discrimination: FAQs - Real Estate

Had enough?
landlord... tenant...

Nothing about roommates...

Here you go again...

The federal Fair Housing Act and the Fair Housing Amendment Acts (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619, 3631) and many state and local laws, prohibit a landlord from selecting tenants based on certain criteria. A landlord may not refuse to rent to a tenant for the following reasons:

* Race or color
* National origin
* Religion
* Disability or handicap, including physical and mental impairment
* Sex, including sexual harassment
* Familial status (includes protection for people with children under age 18 or pregnant women)
Housing Discrimination: FAQs - Real Estate

Had enough?
landlord... tenant...

A person who rents out property is a landlord.
A person who rents property is a tenant.
Whether they live in the same dwelling is immaterial.

Face it, you've been trashed on this thread, totally pwned. Time to move on.

landlord... tenant...

A person who rents out property is a landlord.
A person who rents property is a tenant.
Whether they live in the same dwelling is immaterial.

Face it, you've been trashed on this thread, totally pwned. Time to move on.
Ok. Literally took 2 seconds to find this.

Discrimination In Rental Housing

You might want to stop acting so high-and-mighty...and do your research first before you say something doesn't exist.

I'll keep googling...

Hey thanks for proving that this case is frivolous and the ad wasn't against the law. :thup:

From your link:

EXCEPTIONS TO THE LAW
There are some times when the landlord does not have to follow the law. The landlord can discriminate:

Because of religion, if the landlord is a religious institution or organization (like a church) and the property is used for religious or charitable purpose.

Because of age, if the housing is for seniors (people 50 years old or older).

For any reason, if the landlord or a member of the landlord's immediate family lives in the house and rents out rooms.

:eusa_whistle:

No it isn't.

So what? You've every right to discriminate when it comes to whom you let in your home and whom you choose to share a home with.

Yep, and the law supports your right to do so. However technically she violated the law when she put it in a public Ad. A poorly written law, and one that it appears is being selectively enforced. Considering Thousands of Adds looking for one sex or another as a room mate can be found in papers across this country daily, and nobody is suing them. I am sure if you dig you will find people who are anti Christian behind this law suit.

What law is that that says you may not even APPEAR to be using any "liberal disapproved" criteria in your ad looking for someone compatible to share YOUR living space with? The law you refer to means when offering to rent someone their OWN separate living space -not offering to share YOURS with someone else. You can't use criteria of race, religion, gender and sexual orientation when renting a separate living space to someone else since those issues don't impact YOUR ability to enjoy your OWN living space. But everyone has their own individual criteria that can positively or negatively affect their ability to enjoy their OWN living space and government cannot force you to share your living space with ANYONE. It can only force you to PRETEND you would consider sharing YOUR living space with people you would never share it with and thereby make the busybodies in this world feel better that everyone is being FORCED to pretend that we are all alike and interchangeable and Joe will make just as good a roommate as Susie. It doesn't matter if you don't want to live with someone who has a pet or someone of a different religion. If its YOUR living space, YOU get to make the rules about who you will and will not choose to share it with -for ANY reason. Even if the liberal asshole busybodies want you to pretend you will only use THEIR preferred criteria. At the end of this lawsuit, government still can't force her to share her own living space with someone she has decided to reject for ANY reason -even if you think it isn't a legitimate reason. All they can do is WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME AND MONEY -both those who have decided to share their own living space and are looking for a compatible roommate as well as the potential roommates. And stupid liberals think that benefits us all......how? In the end government STILL cannot force her to share her living space with people who don't have the characteristics she said she wants in a roommate -so WHAT IS THE REAL POINT OF THIS LAWSUIT?

The lawsuit STUPIDLY assumes that those who don't have the characteristics this woman has said she is seeking in a potential roommates would actually want to live with HER! If I know someone offering to share their living space has the traits he/she is looking for in a roommate -and I think those traits in a roommate would not make ME happy or comfortable with my own living arrangements -then I won't waste my time even considering sharing that person's living space with them either! No need to spend money on gas driving out to talk to that person -just scratch it off my list of possibilities right off the bat! But I can't know that unless the person is free to TELL ME -instead of being bullied into silence by the politically correct police! This really is PC run amok that insists it is more important for EVERYONE to waste their time than be fully informed before looking any further into this possible living arrangement for all parties!

Just one of many reason I have said liberalism demands a certain level of stupidity and lack of critical thinking skills -which results in bullshit like this while the liberal busybodies try to convince everyone else that superficial appearance is preferable to substance. After all their GOAL is just so "pure and noble" it means what results from their means doesn't matter. Which explains a lot about liberals.

Here we go:

However, the owner cannot make oral or written statements, or use notices or advertisements which indicate any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, or disability. (47) Further, the owner cannot discriminate on the basis of medical condition or age. (48)
Roommate and Single Room Rental Exceptions to Rental Property Discrimination Law
I'll not trust any site that comes up in all red in Web of Trust and and triggers my antivirus

Yep, and the law supports your right to do so. However technically she violated the law when she put it in a public Ad. A poorly written law, and one that it appears is being selectively enforced. Considering Thousands of Adds looking for one sex or another as a room mate can be found in papers across this country daily, and nobody is suing them. I am sure if you dig you will find people who are anti Christian behind this law suit.

There is no lawsuit.

At least not yet.

Yeah, I misspoke, Meant to say if they go through with this law suit. Which clearly a lot of Libs want to see happen.

That's not clear to me at all.

In fact, most libs seem to think it's stupid too.

:eusa_eh:

Typical right wing hypocrisy.

You mean like an adult marrying their 14 year old fuck toy?

How about an adult man marrying his 14 year old male lover?

Maybe you meant a Brother marrying his sister?

How about a mother marrying her son?

You mean like that?
Fourteen year olds aren't consenting adults so you are shit out of luck.

And you are shit out of brains.

Right wing is more bible beleiving which God says marriage is between man and woman, anything else is an abomination. So it is not hypocrisy, it is the truth. Do not like it, too bad, get right in the head.
No, it's hypocrisy. The bible isn't the rule of law...and in another thread people are melting down over someone choosing a roommate.

The issues are somewhat alike and yet it is always amusing to watch rightwingers come down on opposite sides depending on the question.

Maybe because we're allowed to think for ourselves.

Liberals aren't. You ether tow the party-line or your ass is canned.

That doesn't stop them from coming down on different sides of two similar issues.

The Juan Williams firing for one thing... remember how so many of them rallied around Whoopi Goldberg when she got fired by Slimfast? The Board of Directors at Slimfast were evil according to many liberals for firing a liberal comedienne.

There was someone else right about the time of the Goldberg firing that I remember who was fired by a Las Vegas paper (I think) in which many liberals were telling us how horrible the corporation who did the firing was. Terrible... now we have Juan Williams being fired by NPR and they are supporting NPR.

Oh and don't forget how they rallied to the defense of Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks when people were angry with her for her comments about the President.

Immie

:eusa_eh:

Typical right wing hypocrisy.

You mean like an adult marrying their 14 year old fuck toy?

How about an adult man marrying his 14 year old male lover?

Maybe you meant a Brother marrying his sister?

How about a mother marrying her son?

You mean like that?
Fourteen year olds aren't consenting adults so you are shit out of luck.

I guess that would depend on the state and its definition of age of consent.

No it isn't.

The OP has nothing to do with letting someone in your home. It has to do with a commercial arrangement. And the law specifies that discrimination in housing is illegal. There are some exceptions and I dont know if the case in the OP is one of them. But discriminating in housing is illegal generally speaking.

Well if you can't use and dispose of your own property as you wish, then it's not your own property. I guess it's the states property since they are the ones setting the conditions of use. But that makes sense, since one never owns property without paying rent (property tax) on it. Stop paying the rent to the state and they come and evict you. I see, it makes perfect sense............

What are the limits on what government can make you do?

The fact is, we must STOP this criminal government behavior asap by going to the polls and voting. The next revolution after the, hopefully revolutionary elections, will be a physical revolution.

I WILL pull the poll trigger, but may have to reload with bigger bullets.

Well if you can't use and dispose of your own property as you wish, then it's not your own property. I guess it's the states property since they are the ones setting the conditions of use. But that makes sense, since one never owns property without paying rent (property tax) on it. Stop paying the rent to the state and they come and evict you. I see, it makes perfect sense............

Go research "public accomodation" and then get back to me.

Go research "public accomodation" and then get back to me.

So my own house is a "public accommodation"?
Mkay...
Next the gubmint will be telling me that because I'm so rich that some guy in a cardboard box will be mandated into my "public accommodation", against my will...
All kidding aside, I believe you and that the gubmint will arrive at that decision over my life.

"Not that bad" compared to what? Athlete's foot? Genital warts? I'm just looking for a comparison scale here.

I have found that if you treat her the way you want to be treated she can be quite pleasant to have a discussion with. That doesn't mean that I think she is always right... or even mostly right, for that matter, but treat her as you want to be treated and she will return the favor.

Funny how that works, isn't it? :)

Immie

Indeed.

I just happen to like being flamed and neg-repped. :D

I think you actually covet it...:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back