So sex offenders on parole wearing GPS locators raped and killed at least 5 women

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Suspects Wore GPS Devices During Serial Rape/Murders, Cops Say

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com/AP) — Two parolees charged with killing four women were wearing GPS trackers at the time of the murders — and there may be many more victims, authorities announced Monday.

Anaheim Chief Raul Quezada said Franc Cano, 27, and Steven Dean Gordon, 45, were both wearing the ankle monitors last fall when the women were killed in Anaheim and Santa Ana.

Police: OC Serial Murder Suspects Wore GPS Devices During Killings « CBS Los Angeles

Police believe their may be many more.

So what about firing the agencies in charge of their parole and monitoring them? :mad:

Why, after major parole violations, they were still out on parole?? Sick story, sick consequences. And sounds like it could have been prevented.

Most criminals who wear those devices don't go out and commit a crime like this. Obviously, someone screwed up somewhere.

Isn't Anaheim where Disneyland is?

Mebbe they found their victims by trolling the amusement park.

Most criminals who wear those devices don't go out and commit a crime like this. Obviously, someone screwed up somewhere.
The screw up is that believing these devices will prevent criminals from crime. Obviously, this is untrue.

Why, after major parole violations, they were still out on parole?? Sick story, sick consequences. And sounds like it could have been prevented.

The prisons are too full of people caught for smoking weed.

CaféAuLait;8936320 said:

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com/AP) — Two parolees charged with killing four women were wearing GPS trackers at the time of the murders — and there may be many more victims, authorities announced Monday.

Anaheim Chief Raul Quezada said Franc Cano, 27, and Steven Dean Gordon, 45, were both wearing the ankle monitors last fall when the women were killed in Anaheim and Santa Ana.

Police: OC Serial Murder Suspects Wore GPS Devices During Killings « CBS Los Angeles

So what about firing the agencies in charge of their parole and monitoring them? :mad:

Even if they were monitored someone would have to check to see if they were at the scene of the crime. Maybe this should be done as a matter of procedure for every crime that occurs.

CaféAuLait;8936320 said:

Even if they were monitored someone would have to check to see if they were at the scene of the crime. Maybe this should be done as a matter of procedure for every crime that occurs.

Accrording to the article the GPS data did put them at the scene of the crimes.

CaféAuLait;8942084 said:
CaféAuLait;8936320 said:

When was it cross checked?

Ahh. Theres your problem. All the women were prostitutes or had previously been prostitutes. It was the system treating people according to a priority system.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8936320 said:

how about leaving folks like this in prison

CaféAuLait;8942084 said:

I don't know the article is not clear. I might assume after the fact, but I'm unsure if the GPS devices record 24/7 and the data is retained indefinitely or not.

CaféAuLait;8942100 said:
CaféAuLait;8942084 said:

I don't know the article is not clear. I might assume after the fact, but I'm unsure if the GPS devices record 24/7 and the data is retained indefinitely or not.

Sounds like the data has to be requested and since they were low income, low status no one put a rush on it.

CaféAuLait;8942084 said:

Ahh. Theres your problem. All the women were prostitutes or had previously been prostitutes. It was the system treating people according to a priority system.
There is only so much society can do for people who willingly get into cars with strangers whose intent is sexual in nature. Add to that that these people tend to be transient in nature, moving to different locations as a matter of course.

It really is that simple.

How would constantly monitoring their locations prevented them from killing these women?

Those locations didn't become "crime scenes" until after they commited the crimes.

CaféAuLait;8942100 said:
CaféAuLait;8942084 said:

the article is not very clear at all

one had an ankle bracelet ( like a home detention one)

the other had GPS which should have been able to give

live updates on location

a buddy of mine has GPS on his service vans

he can see in real time what a van is doing

how fast it is traveling how long it is parked

where it is located

you would think they (parole folks)

would have punched in some boundaries and times

for the GPS guy that would have sent a notification

that the offender was off course

How would constantly monitoring their locations prevented them from killing these women?

Those locations didn't become "crime scenes" until after they commited the crimes.

My assumption and understanding of these devices they show if the parolee has left a specific area, and the device sends alerts to the agency in charge. So either the parolees were killing and burying these women within that defined area or they were leaving it and no one was checking data that is presumably supposed to be monitored.

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

My assumption and understanding of these devices they show if the parolee has left a specific area, and the device sends alerts to the agency in charge. So either the parolees were killing and burying these women within that defined area or they were leaving it and no one was checking data that is presumably supposed to be monitored.

That would be true had they been on house arrest, not on parole.

People on parole can pretty much go where they want - they may have a curfew, and have to get a job and check in regularly, but they're not confined to their houses as a general rule.

CaféAuLait;8942100 said:

Sounds like the data has to be requested and since they were low income, low status no one put a rush on it.

I see what you are getting at, but I would assume that these men were leaving a predetermined area they were supposed to be in, thusly they were not being monitored as they should have been.

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

you would think so

otherwise what is the point in having them issued

CaféAuLait;8942161 said:
CaféAuLait;8942100 said:

I see what you are getting at, but I would assume that these men were leaving a predetermined area they were supposed to be in, thusly they were not being monitored as they should have been.

If memory serves me correctly parole is less stringent than probation. I think you can go pretty much anywhere you want on parole.

Forum List

Back