So sex offenders on parole wearing GPS locators raped and killed at least 5 women

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:
How would constantly monitoring their locations prevented them from killing these women?

Those locations didn't become "crime scenes" until after they commited the crimes.

My assumption and understanding of these devices they show if the parolee has left a specific area, and the device sends alerts to the agency in charge. So either the parolees were killing and burying these women within that defined area or they were leaving it and no one was checking data that is presumably supposed to be monitored.

That would be true had they been on house arrest, not on parole.

People on parole can pretty much go where they want - they may have a curfew, and have to get a job and check in regularly, but they're not confined to their houses as a general rule.

That would be true had they been on house arrest,

out here that is how the ankle bracelet works

they have to be with in so many feet of their home phone

and subject to random calls or knocks on the door

if they get out of range

the phone calls the cops

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:
How would constantly monitoring their locations prevented them from killing these women?

Those locations didn't become "crime scenes" until after they commited the crimes.

My assumption and understanding of these devices they show if the parolee has left a specific area, and the device sends alerts to the agency in charge. So either the parolees were killing and burying these women within that defined area or they were leaving it and no one was checking data that is presumably supposed to be monitored.

That would be true had they been on house arrest, not on parole.

People on parole can pretty much go where they want - they may have a curfew, and have to get a job and check in regularly, but they're not confined to their houses as a general rule.

Yes, you are right, I just reread the article. What is weird tho is they cut their bracelets in 2012 and "escaped" they were re-arrested sometime later and ordered to give DNA samples, then bracelets were put back on them. I'm lost as to why they were not jailed after cutting their bracelets and escaping.

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

you would think so

otherwise what is the point in having them issued

Yeah, I agree, it makes no sense to have them if they are not monitored and can go anywhere they want.

CaféAuLait;8942182 said:
CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

you would think so

Yeah, I agree, it makes no sense to have them if they are not monitored and can go anywhere they want.

Well, another point would be for exactly what happened: to catch them if they violate the law again.

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

No the data is being checked. You go outside your area they know. No one did anything wrong. Just because a crime is committed near me doesn't mean I did it.

I know how they did it..................

They spent around a month or so to get the patterns of phone calls and visits down so they could predict when they were going to be checked on.

They also learned a super awesome way to make S'mores, that not only tasted good, but would lure people from down the street to their house.

They'd lure the ladies to their house (with the help of the awesome fragrance of the S'mores), and then kill them.

Face it..............it's the cooking that allows them to be cereal killers.

CaféAuLait;8942155 said:

No the data is being checked. You go outside your area they know. No one did anything wrong. Just because a crime is committed near me doesn't mean I did it.

Not just "near" you, but puts you where 4 bodies were dumped in different places 4 separate times and puts you on the road these women frequented. You're a sex offender that has already escaped once, yeah you're a very likely suspect.

CaféAuLait;8942182 said:
you would think so

Well, another point would be for exactly what happened: to catch them if they violate the law again.

I suppose, but it also sounds like they probably should have been in jail for their recent escape in cutting off ankle monitors and fleeing the area.

They spent around a month or so to get the patterns of phone calls and visits down so they could predict when they were going to be checked on.

They also learned a super awesome way to make S'mores, that not only tasted good, but would lure people from down the street to their house.

They'd lure the ladies to their house (with the help of the awesome fragrance of the S'mores), and then kill them.

Toasted marshmallows, Graham Crackers, and Hershey bars, attract ladies to a house? Maybe your sugar is off a bit from too many s'mores. :D unless you know some secret guys need to learn and women need to be aware of. :p

CaféAuLait;8942241 said:
Not just "near" you, but puts you where 4 bodies were dumped in different places 4 separate times and puts you on the road these women frequented. You're a sex offender that has already escaped once, yeah you're a very likely suspect.

Which is why they were able to arrest him. Sounds like it worked to me.

CaféAuLait;8942249 said:

Toasted marshmallows, Graham Crackers, and Hershey bars, attract ladies to a house? Maybe your sugar is off a bit from too many s'mores. :D unless you know some secret guys need to learn and women need to be aware of. :p

Yeah........................I do know a secret....................

Ever seen the movie "Michael" with John Travolta?

He smelled like cookies, and the women fell all over themselves for him.

CaféAuLait;8942241 said:

Which is why they were able to arrest him. Sounds like it worked to me.

If it worked, they would not have been able to kill 5 plus women over a year.

Yes it did. That is how they proved he was there. But that is not what this thread is really about. Keep up.

Unfortunately, being a prostitute is like volunteering to be a victim of violence; it may be the most dangerous occupation in the US. According to the article, though both of these men had a history of sex offenses, they hadn't done anything so violent. So, it would seem not unrealistic they were paroled and monitored. They actually checked in regularly with parole officers. The monitors are meant to make sure they stay within a specified area, not what they do in that area. It proves that if someone is determined to do some mischief, they will do it. I think that when a convicted felon is on parole, they are not supposed to associate with others on parole, but obviously they do. They were not monitored closely enough; they never are, but we do not have the finances to monitor those on parole as closely as we should. The bracelets did help the police to determine these were the men who committed the crimes.

Yes it did. That is how they proved he was there. But that is not what this thread is really about. Keep up.

Uh, what is the thread about if not for the fact they ( there were 2 killers not one) were on parole and not being monitored while wearing GPS systems, allowing them to murder 5 plus women over a years period of time.

Unfortunately, being a prostitute is like volunteering to be a victim of violence; it may be the most dangerous occupation in the US. According to the article, though both of these men had a history of sex offenses, they hadn't done anything so violent. So, it would seem not unrealistic they were paroled and monitored. They actually checked in regularly with parole officers. The monitors are meant to make sure they stay within a specified area, not what they do in that area. It proves that if someone is determined to do some mischief, they will do it. I think that when a convicted felon is on parole, they are not supposed to associate with others on parole, but obviously they do. They were not monitored closely enough; they never are, but we do not have the finances to monitor those on parole as closely as we should. The bracelets did help the police to determine these were the men who committed the crimes.

I agree to an extent. However, given they were re-arrested (about the same time the murders started) for escaping and breaking parole it makes no sense to have allowed them to continue to be monitored by ankle bracelets they had just cut off and had to be captured for...

CaféAuLait;8942307 said:

Uh, what is the thread about if not for the fact they ( there were 2 killers not one) were on parole and not being monitored while wearing GPS systems, allowing them to murder 5 plus women over a years period of time.

Uh it is about locking people up.

CaféAuLait;8942307 said:

Uh it is about locking people up.

No, it's about people doing their freaking jobs and assuring sex offenders, that had recently cut their monitoring systems off and escaped then refitting them with GPS systems aren't out killing the public and raping again.

CaféAuLait;8942249 said:

Yeah........................I do know a secret....................

Ever seen the movie "Michael" with John Travolta?

He smelled like cookies, and the women fell all over themselves for him.

No, I must have missed that one. lol

CaféAuLait;8942312 said:

I agree to an extent. However, given they were re-arrested (about the same time the murders started) for escaping and breaking parole it makes no sense to have allowed them to continue to be monitored by ankle bracelets they had just cut off and had to be captured for...
That's true. It doesn't seem reasonable to allow people on parole who had broken parole before by cutting their bracelets and trying to escape.

Forum List

Back