So we all heard about the menu IKEA had for Juneteenth that was so offensive

My question is why was it so offensive? Isn’t soul food part of black culture? What’s wrong with having a soul food menu on a day dedicated to the freedom of blacks?
My husband is white. He loves all the food on the menu. It's ridiculous to be offended by good food.
He wouldn't get it about the fried chicken and watermelon. But it's not very smart to throw a lunch celebration and not ask them what they want to eat.
Most job celebrations don't ask what you want
Maybe they should have

IKEA doesn't accept food stamps ?
jemima.jpg

My question is why was it so offensive? Isn’t soul food part of black culture? What’s wrong with having a soul food menu on a day dedicated to the freedom of blacks?
My husband is white. He loves all the food on the menu. It's ridiculous to be offended by good food.
He wouldn't get it about the fried chicken and watermelon. But it's not very smart to throw a lunch celebration and not ask them what they want to eat.
Most job celebrations don't ask what you want
Maybe they should have
My jobs didn't feed me at all. Where did I go wrong?

Next time, just ask them! I'm sure it was well meaning.
Why should everyone have to pander to them?
Many blacks have a huge chip on their shoulder and can't be happy no matter what you do. To them everything is racist.
The poster's IM2 and Asslips are perfect examples of this mindset .... :cool:
What's so hard about asking them how they want to celebrate their holiday?
That's not pandering.
Why is it "their holiday"? Why are "they" separate from "us"? (and feel free to insert what ever intersectional group into "they" and "us") THAT is the problem. It's sad that we havent progressed past the idea that people are any kind of way due to their skin color, or ethnic heritage.

Many blacks have a huge chip on their shoulder and can't be happy no matter what you do. To them everything is racist.
That's not pandering.
Why is it "their holiday"? Why are "they" separate from "us"? (and feel free to insert what ever intersectional group into "they" and "us") THAT is the problem. It's sad that we havent progressed past the idea that people are any kind of way due to their skin color, or ethnic heritage.
You are encouraged to celebrate Juneteenth with other Americans

That's not pandering.
I agree. It's how it is, though, right now. Maybe it's their holiday because white people weren't slaves?

That's not pandering.
You are encouraged to celebrate Juneteenth with other Americans
You are missing the point. I bolded and put in red the the part of the post I was talking about.....
The point is that at an event to celebrate the freedom of blacks you don’t serve watermelon

Shouldn’t have to ask

Face it, blacks like to bitch and moan about everything and call it racist.
If IKEA would have served meatloaf with green peas that day. The negro's would have complained that it was racist having white people's food being served on a black people's holiday. ... :cuckoo:

The store manager is black.

That's not pandering.
I agree. It's how it is, though, right now. Maybe it's their holiday because white people weren't slaves?
"It's how it is" is a BS excuse. It's that way only because we choose to make it/allow it to be that way. And the idea that black people are the only race of people who were enslaved in their past is ludicrous. I dont know that there is a race of people who werent enslaved at some point in the past but that's really not the point is it. We should all celebrate as Americans that we abolished slavery over 150 years ago. This shouldnt be a "black" holiday and making it that doesnt move the ball forward.

Face it, blacks like to bitch and moan about everything and call it racist.
If IKEA would have served meatloaf with green peas that day. The negro's would have complained that it was racist having white people's food being served on a black people's holiday. ... :cuckoo:

The store manager is black.
Who says?
lol some of my family worked for kfc. blacks came in al lthe time asking if the can get watermelon with there chicken. not kidding.

Maybe stores should stop carrying watermelons. Shut down KFC. At least during Juneteenth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back