So What Do You Think Is A Fair And Decent Wage?...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Just curious. I'm really interested in hearing what you all consider a fair & decent Wage. I'd like to get some straight-forward answers without the Political debates and diatribes. I'm only interested in the numbers. Just list the numbers you think an average American should be able to survive on. I think it's a very interesting and important question. It should be fascinating in terms of numbers, seeing what Americans think an average American can or should be able to survive on. Thanks all for your participation.

I believe there has to be an automatic balance, though. The nation's minimum wage goes up, the welfare checks are limited to 3 years with 20% decreases each year until they are stopped the third year. We stop enabling the able bodied workers.

The three year rule would not apply to the physically grossly disabled, elderly or severely mentally handicapped. Agree to the $10.00 an hr.

Everyone pays taxes.

Last edited:
So What Do You Think Is A Fair And Decent Wage?....

That used to be a matter between the employer and employee.

But now that we are a welfare state, that is now a matter for the politicians to decide. It all depends on how bad they want to be elected.

Yeah, i wasn't going for Political debate on this one. I'm just interested in the numbers. How much do you think an average American should be able to survive on?

At least $35.00 per hour.

After all, if it is a fair and decent wage for a teacher, it should be fair and decent for a kid who flips hamburgers.

I believe there has to be an automatic balance, though. The nation's minimum wage goes up, the welfare checks are limited to 3 years with 20% decreases each year until they are stopped the third year. We stop enabling the able bodied workers.

The three year rule would not apply to the physically grossly disabled, elderly or severely mentally handicapped. Agree to the $10.00 an hr.

Everyone pays taxes.

Well said, but what's your number? How much do you think an average American should be able to survive on?

After all, if it is a fair and decent wage for a teacher, it should be fair and decent for a kid who flips hamburgers.

You equate teachers and hamburger flippers? You work at McDonalds, don't you?

I detect a hint of sarcasm. But seriously, give some numbers. How much do you think an average American can survive on?

Performance based pay in all fields where results can be assessed on both a quantitative and qualitative basis. No results, no salary. At the top CEO compensation should be a reflection of their company's performance, at the lower echelons as well. Employees should be treated as shareholders and work to make their institution better.

Last edited:

I detect a hint of sarcasm. But seriously, give some numbers. How much do you think an average American can survive on?

With all due respect, this is pointless. What minimum wage might allow an average person live on in one state or city maybe woefully inadequate elsewhere.

Not only that, but if an employee who makes $10.00 per hour found out that his buddy down the street makes $10.50, he would certainly think that his wage is not fair and decent.

And - should there be a consensus that $10.00 per hour is the benchmark figure - why not $11.00. Or 12.00 or 15.00.

Depends on where you live. If you make $10/hour and live in the Texas panhandle, you will have a modest but sustainable life style. But if your job is in Manhattan, that won't cover the monthly Metro subway fare to get to and from work.

People in New Jersey who train-in to their jobs in Manhattan pay around $400 a month in public transit fares.

Last edited:
Performance based pay in all fields where results can be assessed on both a quantitative and qualitative basis. No results, no salary. At the top CEO compensation should be a reflection of their company's performance, at the lower echelons as well. Employees should be treated as shareholders and work to make their institution better.

I hear ya, but put some numbers out there. How much is appropriate for an average American to survive on?

This isn't remedial mathh class. There is no wage that is fair for the avergae american. The merits of skill, etc, which the market works out, will tell you what a position within a given field will pay as far as wage.

No one person, just like no central planner has the right answer to sucha quesiton. And if they try to manipulate the market forces, it will result in unseen consequences. Such as the fed minimum wage has done for the over 30 years. We alsways need to increase that wage dont we? At the same time, we price workers out of work. Affecting the least skilled and poor the worst of all.

Sorry, dude. It's a dumb question.

With all due respect, this is pointless. What minimum wage might allow an average person live on in one state or city maybe woefully inadequate elsewhere.

Not only that, but if an employee who makes $10.00 per hour found out that his buddy down the street makes $10.50, he would certainly think that his wage is not fair and decent.

And - should there be a consensus that $10.00 per hour is the benchmark figure - why not $11.00. Or 12.00 or 15.00.

Just asking what your number is. How much do you personally feel is an adequate Wage for an average American to survive on. I'm not so interested in the Politics side of it. I'm only interested the number you feel an American can survive on. Thanks.

Forum List

Back