So what should Obama have done?

Nope...the Skandi and at least one of the others are operating some of the underwater robots.

BP has contracted with at least four robotics companies, including Oceaneering International Inc., Subsea 7 and C-Innovation, to do the work.

Teams of humans on boats are controlling the robots, which have names like Maxximum, Hercules and Skandi Neptune. The human operators -- two for each robot -- drive using joysticks, but they can’t see where their undersea avatars are going. Even with headlights, the robots’ environment is almost completely dark, so they use sonar to gauge their proximity to objects.

The ROVs range in size from that of a small car to a big truck, although most of their bulk consists of foam intended to protect them from the intense pressures found at 5,000 feet below the surface. They remain connected to fiber-optic or copper tethers that enable communications, but sometimes ocean currents tangle or even break those lifelines.

The spill has shown the world how much hinges on the work of a team of robots, according to John Mair, global technology manager for the Scottish firm Subsea 7.

boa sub c and skandi neptune are subsea 7 vessels. these vessels have been operating in the area as of the image i posted which transpired a couple weeks ago.

And they are not Norwegian vessels.

Dutch to help in US oil spill clean up

Published on 28 May 2010 - 8:49pm

The Netherlands has promised to help the United States clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
It will provide several so-called ‘sweeping arms’, which can be fixed to the sides of ships. The arms are then used to suck the drifting oil from the water and pump it on board. Depending on the condition of the sea, each arm can ‘sweep’ up to 350 cubic meters of oil per hour.
The arms will be delivered by plane on Saturday to the US Coastguard. Dutch experts will travel with them to help the US users with their operation.
The Dutch aid follows a Thursday afternoon US request to the European Commission for assistance.

Dutch to help in US oil spill clean up | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

The Netherlands has promised to help the United States clean up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
It will provide several so-called ‘sweeping arms’, which can be fixed to the sides of ships. The arms are then used to suck the drifting oil from the water and pump it on board. Depending on the condition of the sea, each arm can ‘sweep’ up to 350 cubic meters of oil per hour.
The arms will be delivered by plane on Saturday to the US Coastguard. Dutch experts will travel with them to help the US users with their operation.
The Dutch aid follows a Thursday afternoon US request to the European Commission for assistance.

How much better off would we be if Obama had accepted this offer back in April?

My point exactly.

What was offered in April?

What was offered in April?

The Dutch offered 3 days after the rig blew to send in tankers w sweeper arms and our government declined the help.

Nice partisan link.

I have read that Geert Visser claims to have offered and was refused but he has not provided any documentation. He has also claimed that the Jones Act is what prevented the help being taken. And yet the Jones Act only covers cargo transported between American ports. His story sounds fishy to me.

Also notice that the Jones Act has not been waived and we are taking these sweepers.

Nice partisan link.

I have read that Geert Visser claims to have offered and was refused but he has not provided any documentation. He has also claimed that the Jones Act is what prevented the help being taken. And yet the Jones Act only covers cargo transported between American ports. His story sounds fishy to me.

Also notice that the Jones Act has not been waived and we are taking these sweepers.

Are you kidding me? Google it for yourself if you don't like my link but wake up. We're taking the skimmer arms and using them with U.S ships because they can't seem to waive the Jones Act. Can you not set your admiration for Obama aside long enough to find the damned truth about his incompetence?

Go check the Houston Chon link if you don't want to find your own info.

Last edited:
Nice partisan link.

Are you kidding me? Google it for yourself if you don't like my link but wake up. We're taking the skimmer arms and using them with U.S ships because they can't seem to waive the Jones Act. Can you not set your admiration for Obama aside long enough to find the damned truth about his incompetence?

Again, the Jones Act doesn't apply. The guy's story doesn't add up, imo.

Nice partisan link.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act, the law requires essentially that all commercial acts conducted in U.S.-controlled waters be performed by “U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.”

Jones Act 46 USCS - (Pre-2006)

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act, the law requires essentially that all commercial acts conducted in U.S.-controlled waters be performed by “U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.”

This wouldn't be a commercial act. And it also isn't between American ports...another requirement.

I bolded it for you that time cause I know you're a dope.

This wouldn't be a commercial act. And it also isn't between American ports...another requirement.

That was a good effort, but for a few things.

A) if this isn't commerce then neither is healthcare insurance, which clearly OBama has declared is.

B) The entire gulf of Mexico in fact lies between two US ports.

gulf-of-mexico-map.gif

A) if this isn't commerce then neither is healthcare insurance, which clearly OBama has declared is.

gulf-of-mexico-map.gif
:rofl:

On the off chance that you aren't just trying to be funny...BETWEEN means making commercial deliveries between two or more American ports. For instance, they couldn't transport commercial goods (things to be sold) between the Port of New Orleans and the Port of Houston unless they sailed under the American flag.

It more and more sounds like this guy is trying to make the Dutch look good at our expense. The Jones Act doesn't apply. If it did, why would the Dutch object to complying with it? And in fact they are lending us the sweeping arms to attach to ships already in the Gulf, not supplying ships.

gulf-of-mexico-map.gif
:rofl:

On the off chance that you aren't just trying to be funny...BETWEEN means making commercial deliveries between two or more American ports. For instance, they couldn't transport commercial goods (things to be sold) between the Port of New Orleans and the Port of Houston unless they sailed under the American flag.

It more and more sounds like this guy is trying to make the Dutch look good at our expense. The Jones Act doesn't apply. If it did, why would the Dutch object to complying with it? And in fact they are lending us the sweeping arms to attach to ships already in the Gulf, not supplying ships.

but that isn't how the law reads and that isn't how it is interpreted. It has been interpreted as drawing a straight line from one port to another and anything above that line is considered to between two American ports. If they had meant inter port commerce, that is exactly what they have written.

Nice partisan link.

I didn't bring up the Jones Act. You did. The Jones Act doesn't mean squat to me. All I want to know is why when the Dutch GOVERNMENT offered help 3 days after the rig exploded the Obama administration turned that help away. It is not a "guy's story". It was a documented offer that came through official government channels. You can guarantee that if it were NOT the case, then Robert Gibbs would be crying from the rooftops about the mean lies that are being spread.

Do you find it acceptable that our government turned this help away and now we have oil washing up on the Gulf coasts and marshes? Are you good with this?

Explain why they're pushing Obama to waive the Jones Act and why Bush waived it after Katrina if it don't apply?

Florida’s Attorney General requests Obama to waive Jones act to hasten oil spill efforts WireUpdate Local | Local Breaking News | Local Breaking Wire -

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gibbs Previews Obama's Address: No Jones Act, No Answer On Cap & Trade

Explain why they're pushing Obama to waive the Jones Act and why Bush waived it after Katrina if it don't apply?

Florida’s Attorney General requests Obama to waive Jones act to hasten oil spill efforts WireUpdate Local | Local Breaking News | Local Breaking Wire -

RealClearPolitics - Video - Gibbs Previews Obama's Address: No Jones Act, No Answer On Cap & Trade

Easy, because it does.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff temporarily waived the U.S. Shipping Act for foreign vessels carrying oil and natural gas from September 1 to September 19, 2005.

Why would that need to be done? That hurricane hit in pretty much the same waters as this oil spill.

Forum List

Back