So what will be the economic affect when the "Self Quarantine" is Over?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
The US economy largely depends on the American consumer.
This is what average American household consisted of 2.52 people in 2019 spends a month.
Now the below link shows other expenditures but the below expenses are what have been most affected.
For example $227/month for entertainment. With stadiums, movie theaters,etc. closed...where has this money gone?
Now with 128 million households and assuming at least half fit the above expenditures... we are talking about $14 billion a month that at least 64 million households may not have spent...but will be!

My point is, there is a pent up amount of money that will be going out once this self-quarantine, "social distancing" actions are reduced.
Consequently the businesses that were hurt the most in the last month...look out! They won't be able to handle the people going to movies, sports,
and other activities that Americans have been use to doing. And it will probably be even more than 64 million households, but just not as much.
Assuming that group will be half what the first 64 million households monthly of $227... so we'll be seeing close to $22 billion a month sometime in
parts of June and rest of the year.

Those of you skeptics... remind me ok?

.https://www.statista.com/statistics/183635/number-of-households-in-the-us/
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 2.55.08 PM.png

I expect an economic boom, but possibly not in places like sports arenas. People will go to movies where there may be 30-40 people in a room, but they may still be wary of arenas that hold 15,000.

That's a good point! May take awhile like you say to get to that point of closeness. I don't think "shaking hands" to close a deal will make a comeback either.

People are going to be very tentative. I expect alot less people eating out compared to pre virus. People will make alot less trips to stores and will avoid crowds of 10 or more even when the quarantines are lifted. Less driving, less cars sold, less gas sold, less consumer demand. Not necessarily all bad right?

The US economy largely depends on the American consumer.
This is what average American household consisted of 2.52 people in 2019 spends a month.
Now the below link shows other expenditures but the below expenses are what have been most affected.
For example $227/month for entertainment. With stadiums, movie theaters,etc. closed...where has this money gone?
Now with 128 million households and assuming at least half fit the above expenditures... we are talking about $14 billion a month that at least 64 million households may not have spent...but will be!

My point is, there is a pent up amount of money that will be going out once this self-quarantine, "social distancing" actions are reduced.
Consequently the businesses that were hurt the most in the last month...look out! They won't be able to handle the people going to movies, sports,
and other activities that Americans have been use to doing. And it will probably be even more than 64 million households, but just not as much.
Assuming that group will be half what the first 64 million households monthly of $227... so we'll be seeing close to $22 billion a month sometime in
parts of June and rest of the year.

Those of you skeptics... remind me ok?

.https://www.statista.com/statistics/183635/number-of-households-in-the-us/
View attachment 322641

One of the questions is whether "social distancing" is going to be required. If they can only allow 10000 or 15000 in Ohio Stadium this fall, how much are they going to have to charge for tickets to the football games or other big events? Ditto in New York if they limit capacity on to subway cars.

This is going to be a problem, no doubt about it. Thank Almighty God however that he anointed His servant Donald Trump to lead the resolution to this situation. So I think this will work out fine.

How can there be 'pent up' money if people are not working?
You do realize there were 6.6 MILLION unemployment claims filed in ONE WEEK?

Your head is shoved so far up your ass its amazing you can breath.

We lost 4-5 years of economic gains. Trillions have evaporated, no way that is going to just bounce back.
One estimate puts it at 34 trillion......ya alll stay home now til you're told and let's make it 100 trillion......won't hurt at all or cost any lives
It's another one who thinks the stock market is worth any number of ordinary American lives. The "let them die" crowd will receive their just reward.

Which of course isn't what I said........much as you want it to....money doesn't grow on trees. We're already getting permanent closures.....lives are being destroyed everyday this goes on.

How can there be 'pent up' money if people are not working?
You do realize there were 6.6 MILLION unemployment claims filed in ONE WEEK?

Your head is shoved so far up your ass its amazing you can breath.
Right... that left 155 million people working. Next dumb ASS!
155,772 Thousand in March of 2020
GEEZ... don't you ever use the Internet????

People are going to be very tentative. I expect alot less people eating out compared to pre virus. People will make alot less trips to stores and will avoid crowds of 10 or more even when the quarantines are lifted. Less driving, less cars sold, less gas sold, less consumer demand. Not necessarily all bad right?
OK... then what will they be doing with say just the entertainment dollars that the average family spends $277/month?

We lost 4-5 years of economic gains. Trillions have evaporated, no way that is going to just bounce back.
One estimate puts it at 34 trillion......ya alll stay home now til you're told and let's make it 100 trillion......won't hurt at all or cost any lives
It's another one who thinks the stock market is worth any number of ordinary American lives. The "let them die" crowd will receive their just reward.

Its not just the fucking stock market, occ.

If America goes through 18-24 months of lockdown, it will just be the first part of 10 years or longer of 30% + unemployment. That much idleness isn't good for the health of anyone. Starving in the streets may be hazardous to your health.

If America goes through 18-24 months of lockdown, it will just be the first part of 10 years or longer of 30% + unemployment. That much idleness isn't good for the health of anyone. Starving in the streets may be hazardous to your health.
I know it sucks but the alternative is to just let this thing go wild, that would probably be bad for the economy as well. Not sure how you think we would be better off with ten times the cases and deaths.

I know it sucks but the alternative is to just let this thing go wild, that would probably be bad for the economy as well. Not sure how you think we would be better off with ten times the cases and deaths.
Who says that's the alternative..... unimaginative libs no doubt

I expect an economic boom, but possibly not in places like sports arenas. People will go to movies where there may be 30-40 people in a room, but they may still be wary of arenas that hold 15,000.

I think I heard last night on the news they are thinking about having baseball start up in Arizona. All games would be held there and televised. I'm thinking this will hurt all the professional sports teams for the reason you stated but I think it will be worse. Especially for the NBA due to their loyalty to China. And what relationship their was with China will change the way things are. I think it will be tight for a few years.

Yep, it's only Schiff, Schumer and Pelosi that want it to go wild.

Who says that's the alternative..... unimaginative libs no doubt
When exposure to infected people is the only factor in getting the disease there are no half-measures that are effective. You either shut things down and isolate or you let it decimate the populace. If there was a better way we would be doing it.

Unemployment is very high right now, and by the time the shutdown is ended, it may be even higher. Because of that, the average amount spent by a family on eating out, going to the movies, etc will be lower. Too many families won't have any money available for those things for some amount of time. Some families who do have the money will probably be wary and slow to return to being around other people in numbers. Due to those and other factors I think the recovery will be a gradual and fairly slow process.

Yep, it's only Schiff, Schumer and Pelosi that want it to go wild.
Trump will not escape from the guilt of his denial and inaction. He was literally the last major politician to realize how much danger we faced in the run up to this thing. All anyone will ever have to do is run the tape of his denials split screen with the graph of the progression of the pandemic to show just how bad he blew this.

Forum List

Back