So...

September 10, 2013:
Nearly buried in the diplomatic din over Syria, the country’s foreign minister acknowledged for the first time on Tuesday that the Syrian government possessed chemical arms, something it had never admitted before, and declared that the country aimed to become a signatory to the international convention banning the weapons.

In Shift, Syrian Official Admits Government Has Chemical Arms

Interesting how the Times contradicts it's own material. :lol::lol:

The US won because we finally got Assad to admit he has a stockpile of chemical weapons, and now he is at the table negotiating with us to remove them. This is an unequivocally good thing.

Assad won because he has not been put up against a wall by the rebels and shot, which would have been made more likely had we bombed his military infrastructure.

Wrong on both counts.

Assad is not negotiating with us. Assad is negotiating with the Russians, who are negotiating with us. Since there is no facility to verify any removal, and since doing so during a civil war is all but impossible it is a safe bet that no weapons will be tranferred.

If you've won then you don't need to claim anything. It is self-evident. The fact that Obama has to tout that he won should tell everyone he's a loser.

but assad's victory, that is the real deal, huh?

Assad got everything he wanted. Obama got nothing he wanted. You tell me who won.

If you've won then you don't need to claim anything. It is self-evident. The fact that Assad has to tout that he won should tell everyone he's a loser.

Since republicans were leading the fight to stop obama from using our missiles to help al quaeda, the republicans won no matter who else won.

Who lost? The United States of America.

What did we lose? Compared to any scenario you would approve of...

We lost credibility in the ME. We lost the ability to act in the ME. We lost credibility with both Israel and Iran. We lost the ability to form a coaltion. We lost the ability to influence events. We lost the ability to control WMD.
Is that enough for you? Or are you OK because you didnt lose your welfare check?

An ideal political, diplomatic solution allows all parties to claim "victory".

Normally, Liberals aren't making blanket statements like that unless their guy was the one who got the short end of the stick. You may as well be moving the goalposts. Putin had more foreign policy acumen than did Obama. It showed.

I mean, Obama was doing all of his saber rattling "oh I'm gonna bomb you if you cross my red line" only to be rebuffed by Putin's plan of chemical disarmament. It made him look like an idiot. That is an undeniable fact of life.

:eusa_whistle:

again, somehow if war breaks out with Syria, I don't see you rushing out to enlist.

Obama got what he wanted without having to fire a shot.

He got the Russian, who for years have claimed they have no control over Assad, to get Assad to turn over his WMD's.

Without a shot being fired.

Nor you either, Joe. You liberals too much of cowards to do anything serious in Syria.

Obama never got what he wanted. He wanted to ATTACK Syria. He never got to. Putin was the one who quelled the situation ironically, the reality of the situation points to that. You can't stand it that your guy was shown up by a Russian. He drug Obama kicking and screaming toward a so-called chemical weapons deal with Assad. It was ONLY after Putin proposed such a deal that Assad responded.

You can't possibly believe that Obama played any major role in getting Assad to relent.

Normally, Liberals aren't making blanket statements like that unless their guy was the one who got the short end of the stick. You may as well be moving the goalposts. Putin had more foreign policy acumen than did Obama. It showed.

I mean, Obama was doing all of his saber rattling "oh I'm gonna bomb you if you cross my red line" only to be rebuffed by Putin's plan of chemical disarmament. It made him look like an idiot. That is an undeniable fact of life.

again, somehow if war breaks out with Syria, I don't see you rushing out to enlist.

He got the Russian, who for years have claimed they have no control over Assad, to get Assad to turn over his WMD's.

Really!?!?!? Did I miss something here? Like a convoy of trucks taking these Chemical Weapons to a destruction facility? Or perhaps a convoy of UN inspectors taking control of all of these weapons? I didn't? Because we are EXACTLY in the same spot we were in 2 months ago, EXCEPT Barry and his cronies look inept, ignorant, and very weak.

You guys from the left would like to have the bottom line be "Barry flexes, Vladimir blinks." But I'm afraid even you guys can't spin this one that much. More like, "Barry whines, Vladimir Bitch slaps him."

Of course, not. Have seen the clown's pic? The only thing to get him to rush out of the basement is a lit up Krispy Kreme sign.

It's hilarious to see the USMB Right Wing Nut Brigade all hugged up on Putin's nuts. There isn't a sorrier bunch of losers on the Internet this side of 4chan.

Sure, that room looks like a basement. Get your eyes checked, dickhead. Since when do basements have windows? And white walls? Sigh. It's hilarious to think that this is all you had armed with when you came into my thread. You have been negged.

If liberals here are claiming Obama won regarding Syria, why is Assad claiming victory?

(Reuters) - Syria's government hailed as a "victory" a Russian-brokered deal that has averted U.S. strikes, while President Barack Obama defended a chemical weapons pact that the rebels fear has bolstered their enemy in the civil war.

President Bashar al-Assad's jets and artillery hit rebel suburbs of the capital again on Sunday in an offensive that residents said began last week when Obama delayed air strikes in the face of opposition from Moscow and his own electorate.

Speaking of the U.S.-Russian deal, Syrian minister Ali Haidar told Moscow's RIA news agency: "These agreements ... are a victory for Syria, achieved thanks to our Russian friends.

Though not close to Assad, Ali was the first Syrian official to react to Saturday's accord in Geneva by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Bridging an angry East-West rift over Syria, they agreed to back a nine-month U.N. programme to destroy Assad's chemical arsenal.

The deal has put off the threat of air strikes Obama made after poison gas killed hundreds of Syrians on August 21, although he has stressed that force remains an option if Assad reneges. U.S. forces remain in position. Russia still opposes military action but now backs possible U.N. sanctions for non-compliance.

French President Francois Hollande called for a U.N. resolution on Syria backed by the threat of punitive action to be voted by the end of this week. Hollande also said the option of military strikes must remain on the table.

Assad government hails 'victory' in arms deal, troops attack | Reuters

What would an American 'win' be?

Our president and elected officials bending to the will of the people, instead of the people bending to the will of our president and elected officials. Make sense?

It's sad that Putin promotes less war than Obama. It's sad that you are trying to hail Putin as the new leader of the Republican party simply because most of Americans (Republicans/Dems/Indys) are happy to see Putin shut Obama down from starting another fucking war.

You're trying so hard and it's making you look more pathetic. You and a very small group of people are trying to sell this Putin for 2016 crap while Obama's credibility took a world wide nuclear bomb to it's face.

Both announcements sound very strange, if not dishonest, to anyone who has been following the Syrian crisis. Deputy National Security Adviser Benjamin Rhodes, one of Obama’s top foreign policy advisers, was quoted by the New York Times as saying that “there was no reason to think that the resistance has access to chemical weapons.” Thus, like most of the mainstream U.S. media, Rhodes simply ignored the reports last May in the British media that “U.N. human rights investigators have gathered testimony from casualties of Syria’s civil war and medical staff indicating that rebel forces have used the nerve agent sarin.”2 Three weeks later there were additional disputed reports that a 2kg cylinder with sarin gas had been seized from Syrian rebel forces in Turkey.3 We thus see another U.S. case, as a decade ago in Iraq, of policy steering intelligence, rather than vice versa.

Washington?s Battle Over Syrian Foreign Policy: Will Hawks Or Doves Prevail? | Global Research

If liberals here are claiming Obama won regarding Syria, why is Assad claiming victory?

(Reuters) - Syria's government hailed as a "victory" a Russian-brokered deal that has averted U.S. strikes, while President Barack Obama defended a chemical weapons pact that the rebels fear has bolstered their enemy in the civil war.

President Bashar al-Assad's jets and artillery hit rebel suburbs of the capital again on Sunday in an offensive that residents said began last week when Obama delayed air strikes in the face of opposition from Moscow and his own electorate.

Speaking of the U.S.-Russian deal, Syrian minister Ali Haidar told Moscow's RIA news agency: "These agreements ... are a victory for Syria, achieved thanks to our Russian friends.

Though not close to Assad, Ali was the first Syrian official to react to Saturday's accord in Geneva by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. Bridging an angry East-West rift over Syria, they agreed to back a nine-month U.N. programme to destroy Assad's chemical arsenal.

The deal has put off the threat of air strikes Obama made after poison gas killed hundreds of Syrians on August 21, although he has stressed that force remains an option if Assad reneges. U.S. forces remain in position. Russia still opposes military action but now backs possible U.N. sanctions for non-compliance.

French President Francois Hollande called for a U.N. resolution on Syria backed by the threat of punitive action to be voted by the end of this week. Hollande also said the option of military strikes must remain on the table.

Assad government hails 'victory' in arms deal, troops attack | Reuters

Putin and Asaad won handily here, it was no contest as they spun obie into a knot and wedgied him.

Asaad's docks are filling up with Russian arms and he is free to pound the rebels into oblivion.

Putin is now the go to guy for any ME shakeup's in the near future. If obie threaten's anyone all they have to do is call Putin and he will come put obie in his place.

I give it a month or two before the next chemical attack. Putin and Asaad will claim Russia has control of the Syrian weapons and therefore this proves it's the rebels.

The only thing obie and the US won is equal to the last player drafted in the NFL, Mr. Irrelevant.

Forum List

Back