Social Security faces a $32 trillion shortfall

You say Fed already in SSI......what's the problem?
Goodness. Now you want to muddy the waters by bringing SSI into the discussion?

Why?

SS, SSI, SSDI........yes one should be clear when discussing these govt pgms.

Regular (SS), un-leaded (Supplemental), ethyl (SSDI......disability). I think all three are funded from the $907B ytd collected from taxpayers.

The $270B is also collected from taxpayers, separately.

I'm not a Bernie fan but did Bernie pay into the system?
We know he has since 1990. Can't say earlier than that. He's been in public service almost all his life and at state level and below he may not have been under the SS umbrella.

According to SS rules, he meets the requirements. At least in my State, those employees contribute to SS. Having served on a commission board for the local public safety department where I live, I can guarantee you they pay into the SS system as that line item was part of the budget approval every year.

Why?

Regular (SS), un-leaded (Supplemental), ethyl (SSDI......disability). I think all three are funded from the $907B ytd collected from taxpayers.

SSI is funded by congress. Other than being administered by the SSA, it has nothing to do with the SS program.

We know he has since 1990. Can't say earlier than that. He's been in public service almost all his life and at state level and below he may not have been under the SS umbrella.

According to SS rules, he meets the requirements. At least in my State, those employees contribute to SS. Having served on a commission board for the local public safety department where I live, I can guarantee you they pay into the SS system as that line item was part of the budget approval every year.
A number of states and cities have flocked to the shelter of the SS umbrella since the Great Republican Recession. Funding their own retirement systems became problematic.

The more, the merrier.

Why?

SSI is funded by congress. Other than being administered by the SSA, it has nothing to do with the SS program.

Oh I see. I find SSI buried in another $300B tax collection bucket (income security) My bad. So hard to keep track. All these buckets but collections always fall far short of spending. Pity.

A number of states and cities have flocked to the shelter of the SS umbrella since the Great Republican Recession. Funding their own retirement systems became problematic.

The more, the merrier.

Excuse me sir, but according to many on this site this flock of state local fed were already "flocked" into SS? All along? Spin cycle please...

Oh I see. I find SSI buried in another $300B tax collection bucket (income security) My bad. So hard to keep track. All these buckets but collections always fall far short of spending. Pity.
These programs didn't fall out of the sky. They were created by our representatives out of a perceived need.

Don't like it? Run against it and change it. You're not accomplishing anything pounding on your keyboard here.

Why?

nothing is funded by congress, everything is funded by the taxpayer. Congress just misappropriates the funds and wastes them on useless things. like welfare and Medicaid.

Excuse me sir, but according to many on this site this flock of state local fed were already "flocked" into SS? All along? Spin cycle please...
I must have missed those posts. What did they claim?

Federal employees hired after 1983 are in SS. That was the only change in law I'm aware of. I know that our local government workers in my state do not participate in SS. I also know:

States in Which Public Employees Are Not Covered by Social Security

Alaska
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Georgia (certain local governments)
Illinois
Kentucky (certain local governments)
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Missouri
Nevada
Ohio
Rhode Island (certain local governments)
Texas

and that generally carries down to the county and city level.

One reason to be here is to expose or learn about issues. When overall tax payout from joesixpack may be as high as 60%, well I for one would like to know where my earned income is going. That's all.

One reason to be here is to expose or learn about issues. When overall tax payout from joesixpack may be as high as 60%, well I for one would like to know where my earned income is going. That's all.
Most of the direct taxes I pay are local. I'd start there.

If you can afford a six pack with the money left over after paying your taxes, you can afford to pay more in taxes so someone that does not feel like working can have a six pack too.

In the end, you take in so much.......each month.

With no trust fund, benefits go to about 70% of current.

You'll get something......

The more, the merrier.

Yet you provide no list. In my state, the states and cities were doing it long before then.

These programs didn't fall out of the sky. They were created by our representatives out of a perceived need.

Don't like it? Run against it and change it. You're not accomplishing anything pounding on your keyboard here.

That perceived need was to get votes by pandering.

Then pander to people like yourself and effect change. I don't think you'll get far, but you can give it a go.

Then pander to people like yourself and effect change. I don't think you'll get far, but you can give it a go.

So you admit Democrats pander to get votes. Thanks for confirming what we already knew.

So you admit Democrats pander to get votes. Thanks for confirming what we already knew.
Yes, I'll "admit" that our representatives indulge their constituents. They'd better, or they'll be replaced by others who will.

Forum List

Back