Some much-needed rationale on Iran holding our sailors

Permanent War purveyors can't admit that their own nation was in the wrong. They feel that would make them look weak to their fellow Permanent War purveyors. They truly believe the U.S. has the right to do anything it wants. They apply a hypocritical double standard to all of its actions. I mean let's face it, if the Iranian Military had trespassed into U.S. waters, they'd likely be dead meat right now. So Iran did handle this incident with calm and reason. We should just acknowledge that and move on.

Pulease, if that were the case we'd be blowing Russian bombers out of the sky

We applauded our 'Good Friend' Turkey for shooting and killing Russain pilots as they parachuted down from their planes. We justified it because Turkey claimed the Russians had violated its sovereignty.

In my opinion, what Turkey did was brutal and cowardly. But the U.S. stood behind it all the way. So Pulease, if the Iranian Military crosses into U.S. waters, they'll likely be blown to bits.

Doubtful

It's very difficult trying to reason with with Permanent War purveyors. Because they aren't reasonable on the subject of war. Their biggest problem is that they apply a hypocritical double standard to all U.S. actions. They applaud questionable actions committed by the US, while condemning others for committing the very same actions.

Therefore, they can't admit the U.S. Military was in the wrong on this. They're gonna continue banging those War Drums no matter what. It's just what they do. You can try to reason with em, but i can tell you, it won't likely get ya anywhere. They want war, and that's that.

FAIL!

Fully realizing that this issue was going to be used by GOP candidates to bash Obama during the latest "debate", what is lost in the demagoguery by these blow-hards is what EXACTLY they would do when faced by this type of situation.

Here's what Cruz and Christie hinted at, and what the AP stated about the issue:

CRUZ: Any country that makes U.S. service members get on their knees like the 10 sailors whose boats were boarded and seized by the Iranian military this week "will feel the full force and fury of the United States of America."

CHRISTIE: "Tin pot dictators ... are taking our Navy ships."

THE FACTS: Neither candidate addressed the fact that the short-lived crisis was created by the U.S. sailors who steered their boats into sovereign Iranian waters, where they were boarded and seized by Iranian naval forces. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday that the U.S. sailors had made a navigation error.

Under such circumstances it would not be unusual to disarm members of a foreign military force — even a small one like the two Navy boats — and hold them temporarily for questioning. What was exceptional about this episode — and perhaps a provocation — is that the Iranians videotaped the Americans during the encounter and posted the images on the Internet.

The suggestion by Cruz that he would have launched a military attack on Iran in response to such an incident is hard to square with accepted international tests for the use of force.

Iran returned the sailors unharmed and their boats undamaged.
iran owns obama. (not the people, the theocracy)

Washington: let's make iran great again !

It's very difficult trying to reason with with Permanent War purveyors. Because they aren't reasonable on the subject of war. Their biggest problem is that they apply a hypocritical double standard to all U.S. actions. They applaud questionable actions committed by the US, while condemning others for committing the very same actions.

Therefore, they can't admit the U.S. Military was in the wrong on this. They're gonna continue banging those War Drums no matter what. It's just what they do. You can try to reason with em, but i can tell you, it won't likely get ya anywhere. They want war, and that's that.
What questionable actions? the only "questionable action" here is (possibly) forcing one of our officers to give an "apology" on video and then broadcasting the video on Iranian State Television, if it's the case that it was indeed coerced then that is the act of belligerent nation.

However there is no need for any military action, we have a $150 Billion in frozen Iranian assets, a little note to the Ayatollahs along the lines of "That little stunt with our Naval Officer just cost you $150 billion, hope it was worth it" should suffice.

The seizure of our boats conveyed the message Iran wanted conveyed. We will force the Americans to their knees and put their women in hijabs.

What questionable actions? the only "questionable action" here is (possibly) forcing one of our officers to give an "apology" on video and then broadcasting the video on Iranian State Television, if it's the case that it was indeed coerced then that is the act of belligerent nation.

However there is no need for any military action, we have a $150 Billion in frozen Iranian assets, a little note to the Ayatollahs along the lines of "That little stunt with our Naval Officer just cost you $150 billion, hope it was worth it" should suffice.

Our Government was in the wrong. Iran was owed an apology. It's as simple as that. And like i said, would the U.S. Military be as kind if the Iranian Military trespassed into US waters? My guess is, probably not. I think it would be a 'shoot first, ask questions later' scenario. So i think our soldiers are lucky to still be alive.

Fully realizing that this issue was going to be used by GOP candidates to bash Obama during the latest "debate", what is lost in the demagoguery by these blow-hards is what EXACTLY they would do when faced by this type of situation.

Here's what Cruz and Christie hinted at, and what the AP stated about the issue:

CRUZ: Any country that makes U.S. service members get on their knees like the 10 sailors whose boats were boarded and seized by the Iranian military this week "will feel the full force and fury of the United States of America."

CHRISTIE: "Tin pot dictators ... are taking our Navy ships."

THE FACTS: Neither candidate addressed the fact that the short-lived crisis was created by the U.S. sailors who steered their boats into sovereign Iranian waters, where they were boarded and seized by Iranian naval forces. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday that the U.S. sailors had made a navigation error.

Under such circumstances it would not be unusual to disarm members of a foreign military force — even a small one like the two Navy boats — and hold them temporarily for questioning. What was exceptional about this episode — and perhaps a provocation — is that the Iranians videotaped the Americans during the encounter and posted the images on the Internet.

The suggestion by Cruz that he would have launched a military attack on Iran in response to such an incident is hard to square with accepted international tests for the use of force.

Iran returned the sailors unharmed and their boats undamaged.

The funny thing is, it's been Obama's Iranian policy to get close ties with them that allowed the sailors to leave so quickly. Had a Republican been in the White House, the sailors would still be in Iran. There's no two ways about it. They can blow lots of hot air, but the reality is they're talking nonsense about being tough on this.
close ties???? "Death to America!"

Our Government was in the wrong. Iran was owed an apology.
How so? Apparently it was a navigational error and apologies don't come forced from detained Military Officers; if there was any formal apology owed (which there apparently wasn't) it would come from the State Department.

It's as simple as that. And like i said, would the U.S. Military be as kind if the Iranian Military trespassed into US waters? My guess is, probably not. I think it would be a 'shoot first, ask questions later' scenario. So i think our soldiers are lucky to still be alive.
Not even close, our military would not have done what the Iranians did under identical circumstances, they *might* have been detained to insure there was no threat and they would have been released as soon as it was determined there wasn't any, our Military would NOT even have considered forcing their commanding officer to "apologize" on video.

Most of you really don't get it do you? The taking of the ship and holding of the crew is minor the message it sends thorough the region and world is what's important and that is Iran saying they can do what they want to anyone they want when they want.

Perhaps they would have preferred the sailors go down fighting and most likely get themselves killed in the process.

You know, take one for the team and all. . .
what would the soldiers want ?

How about finish their deployment and get back home to their families in one piece.
in a perfect world. do the sailors feel humiliated ? that would be the place to start. it does go along with leading from behind, and putting America in it's place, but that's not supposed to happen from this side.

They should feel humiliated for allowing themselves to be in that position.
seems a bit harsh till we learn the details.

Permanent War purveyors can't admit that their own nation was in the wrong. They feel that would make them look weak to their fellow Permanent War purveyors. They truly believe the U.S. has the right to do anything it wants. They apply a hypocritical double standard to all of its actions.

I mean let's face it, if the Iranian Military had trespassed into U.S. waters, they'd likely be dead meat right now. So Iran did handle this incident with calm and reason. We should just acknowledge that and move on.
right, with no extended agenda... no propaganda value there.

Permanent War purveyors can't admit that their own nation was in the wrong. They feel that would make them look weak to their fellow Permanent War purveyors. They truly believe the U.S. has the right to do anything it wants. They apply a hypocritical double standard to all of its actions. I mean let's face it, if the Iranian Military had trespassed into U.S. waters, they'd likely be dead meat right now. So Iran did handle this incident with calm and reason. We should just acknowledge that and move on.

We applauded our 'Good Friend' Turkey for shooting and killing Russian pilots as they parachuted down from their planes. We justified it because Turkey claimed the Russians had violated its sovereignty.

However In my opinion, what Turkey did was heinous and cowardly. But the U.S. stood behind it all the way. So Pulease, if the Iranian Military crosses into U.S. waters, they'll likely be blown to bits.
didn't we help some fishermen a while ago ??

WASHINGTON — The political tensions between the U.S. and Iran over transit in and around the Persian Gulf gave way Friday to photos of rescued Iranian fisherman happily wearing American Navy ball caps.

US Navy Bails Out Commandeered Iranian Fishing Boat
images

Last edited:
Most of you really don't get it do you? The taking of the ship and holding of the crew is minor the message it sends thorough the region and world is what's important and that is Iran saying they can do what they want to anyone they want when they want.

Maybe so, but we know for sure the U.S. believes it can do whatever it wants to anyone it wants. It's always applied a hypocritical double standard to all its actions.

It uses that double standard to continue on with Perpetual War. Iran has every right to defend its territory by any means necessary. Just as the US does. Period, end of story.

I would hope the U.S. Navy wouldn't end up in that position under a GOP administration. The only thing Barry Hussein is good for is apologizing to renegade regimes and bowing to two bit dictators. The U.S. did not come out of this incident with much credibility.

I'm not sold on Cruz but I liked what he said about this....

" no US service member will ever be on their knees and any nation that captures any of our military will feel the full force and fury of the United States of America."
nothing like unwarranted aggression and bluster to get the juices flowing, huh?

We applauded our 'Good Friend' Turkey for shooting and killing Russian pilots as they parachuted down from their planes. We justified it because Turkey claimed the Russians had violated its sovereignty.

However In my opinion, what Turkey did was heinous and cowardly. But the U.S. stood behind it all the way. So Pulease, if the Iranian Military crosses into U.S. waters, they'll likely be blown to bits.
didn't we help some fishermen a while ago ??

WASHINGTON — The political tensions between the U.S. and Iran over transit in and around the Persian Gulf gave way Friday to photos of rescued Iranian fisherman happily wearing American Navy ball caps.

US Navy Bails Out Commandeered Iranian Fishing Boat
images

Apples & Oranges. Let's see what happens if the Iranian Military trespasses into U.S. waters.

when a Russian plane possibly strayed for a few seconds into Turkish territory the Turks shot the plane down

the short-lived crisis was created by the U.S. sailors who steered their boats into sovereign Iranian waters, where they were boarded and seized by Iranian naval forces. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday that the U.S. sailors had made a navigation error.

Under such circumstances it would not be unusual to disarm members of a foreign military force — even a small one like the two Navy boats — and hold them temporarily for questioning.

AP FACT CHECK: Misshapen rhetoric in Republican debate

when a Russian plane possibly strayed for a few seconds into Turkish territory the Turks shot the plane down

the short-lived crisis was created by the U.S. sailors who steered their boats into sovereign Iranian waters, where they were boarded and seized by Iranian naval forces. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Thursday that the U.S. sailors had made a navigation error.

Under such circumstances it would not be unusual to disarm members of a foreign military force — even a small one like the two Navy boats — and hold them temporarily for questioning.

AP FACT CHECK: Misshapen rhetoric in Republican debate

Yes, and shame on the U.S. for applauding Turkey's heinous cowardly actions against the Russians. It's exactly what i mean by the Perpetual War purveyors applying hypocritical double standards to all US and ally actions.

Forum List

Back