Someone in Maryland Has a Clone of my ATM Card

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
The fraud dept of my bank, Santander, called yesterday to ask if I was in Maryland trying to buy $400 worth of groceries at the Shopper's Mart in Gaithersburg. I said no, I'm sitting in my house in New Jersey.

The charge was declined as fraud was suspected. So this clone of my ATM card may be one of the ones created out of the Target breach a few months ago.

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards, credit cards still reinstate in the event of fraud. So looks like it's back to going to inside the bank for cash and using credit cards only for me.

Well, it certainly affects a lot more people than the made up bullshit we see people like you ranting about. Identity theft is a major problem in this nation, and almost everyone will eventually get it with it.

Well, it certainly affects a lot more people than the made up bullshit we see people like you ranting about. Identity theft is a major problem in this nation, and almost everyone will eventually get it with it.

NovaSteve does spin some b.s. on here, indeed he does.

I've been worried about this since the news broke about the Target breach. I had a feeling it was something that would be ongoing even though the news is now old.

The banks and financial institutions just can't keep up with the hackers. I posted this as a warning. I have been vigilante about my online security since I first logged online in 1994. In 1997 we (my biz partner and I) hired a high school kid to help maintain our computer system. He was also on the AmEx and Zion's Bank payroll for protecting their facilities in Utah. This same kid got very bored one weekend and hacked Eddie Bauer online like he was opening up a box of Cracker Jacks. Got caught. Went to prison for a year. Came back out and AmEx picked him right back up again. The technology has gotten better and it's easier than ever for these THUGS to do this.

And this is national news?

No, but it is a "current event" in his life.

This happened to us once. Someone in England purchased theatre tickets with ours. We purchase life lock every year now.

Was this a purchase they made online? What is happening in the Target (and other situations) is ATM card numbers are sold in lots over the internet, through encrypted portals like BitTorrent, to thieves. They are able to download the info onto the magnetic stripe of blank plastic credit/ATM cards and then they go to town.

American banks and carriers are finally getting around to inserting a microchip into their cards that the hackers haven't had to worry about. Finally. European banks have been doing this for years.

Last edited:
Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards

Sound like you need a new bank. Somebody tried using my check card back in December to buy a $200 Apple gift card and I had the money back in my account the next day.

My bank did just fine, they declined the transaction, shut down my account and I didn't lose a dime.

You might check with your bank to see if they are going to cover fraud on debit cards in the future.

"""A lesson from Target: Before you use that debit card"""

Here's what you need to know about debit cards:

If you do have a problem with a credit card transaction, you don't have to pay the amount in dispute while it's being investigated. With a debit card, the money is already gone from your checking account, and you're trying to get your own money back.

Debit card fraud has been rising by about 30 percent a year the last few years.
Credit cards offer protection under the federal Fair Credit Billing Act. This means you can refuse to pay for products or services that you didn't get or that are defective. There's no such protection with a debit card.

Debit card authorizations can tie up your money. Gas stations, hotels and other merchants may put a three-day hold on more money than you will be spending on a particular transaction. You can't use that money until the hold ends.

This temporary hold could cause other payments to bounce even though you really have enough money in your account.

See this is why I have to raise the font size and/or color, because people are too lazy to read:

Your protection under federal law stinks with a debit card, compared with the protection offered by credit cards. With a credit card, your liability in case of fraud or errors is limited to $50 if you notify the card issuer within 60 days after the statement listing the transaction is mailed. With a debit card, the $50 liability limit expires two days after the fraud. Then your liability goes up to $500.

Banks desperately want you to believe that debit cards are safe. However, that "zero liability" promise is voluntary, not the law.

You don't necessarily have protection against errors with debit cards. In many cases, banks regard errors by a merchant as a "billing dispute," not fraud. You're on your own to get it resolved.

If you use a debit card and a fraudulent charge or a billing error causes other payments to bounce (like your mortgage or cell phone payment), you will be hit with hefty overdraft fees (maybe $35 each) and will probably have difficulty getting the fees refunded.

A lesson from Target: Before you use that debit card again, here are 20 things you should know | cleveland.com

Last edited:

NovaSteve does spin some b.s. on here, indeed he does.

I've been worried about this since the news broke about the Target breach. I had a feeling it was something that would be ongoing even though the news is now old.

The banks and financial institutions just can't keep up with the hackers. I posted this as a warning. I have been vigilante about my online security since I first logged online in 1994. In 1997 we (my biz partner and I) hired a high school kid to help maintain our computer system. He was also on the AmEx and Zion's Bank payroll for protecting their facilities in Utah. This same kid got very bored one weekend and hacked Eddie Bauer online like he was opening up a box of Cracker Jacks. Got caught. Went to prison for a year. Came back out and AmEx picked him right back up again. The technology has gotten better and it's easier than ever for these THUGS to do this.

Same thing happened at DSW Shoe Warehouse. As soon as I heard, I contacted my bank and asked for a new debit card and new number. They were happy to oblige. Sometimes we have to be proactive.

Also, I don't keep my savings account set up to cover overages from my debit card. If a purchase goes over, it gets declined. I pay all my bills as soon as the money hits checking account, and keep very little money in that account. I use a citi card that gives me air miles for most of my transactions, then make one electronic transfer to pay it. There are very few things I can't use that citi card for.

Last edited:
You have a good bank. They kept you posted on a purchase that could easily have gone unnoticed. I imagine they are issuing a new card. Makes me glad that there are no Target stores near where I live.

Problem is that you will become a victim again eventually. Depending on what information they have, your ID could be in use right now by several different people.

That is why I don't use a bank. I use a Credit Union. And my Credit Union does cover losses on Debit Cards.

Look at this way NoTeaPartyPleez, that may have had been another Tea Party Hating Liberal like you who needed some food. Why aren't you happy to support them? Hell, it may have been some illegals here... You know people that you want to give Citizenship to? You should be happy that you feed them.

You want to take my money from me to feed them and house them. The least you can do is use your money too.

The fraud dept of my bank, Santander, called yesterday to ask if I was in Maryland trying to buy $400 worth of groceries at the Shopper's Mart in Gaithersburg. I said no, I'm sitting in my house in New Jersey.

The charge was declined as fraud was suspected. So this clone of my ATM card may be one of the ones created out of the Target breach a few months ago.

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards, credit cards still reinstate in the event of fraud. So looks like it's back to going to inside the bank for cash and using credit cards only for me.

Find a better bank, then! I have complete protection and am liable for NOTHING in case of bogus debit card charges!

Find a better bank, then! I have complete protection and am liable for NOTHING in case of bogus debit card charges!

Better check that one. All banks are dumping their coverage for fraud on debit cards. See the article I posted above. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

Banks and credit card carriers are gradually switching over to cards that have the microchip, so that the hackers can't produce blank cards with just the mag strip on the back that carries the info. AmEx has started issuing microchip cards now.

You have a good bank. They kept you posted on a purchase that could easily have gone unnoticed. I imagine they are issuing a new card. Makes me glad that there are no Target stores near where I live.

Yes, I was quite pleased that they called me immediately. No problems with them, even though they are based in Spain.

But Target is/was no less vulnerable than any chain store that is online. If the hackers figure out how to get into Amazon, for example, they will have over 237,000,000 accounts at their access. I bet Jeff Bezos has whole binders of Edward Snowdens working on keeping his site safe.

I will no longer use my debit card at places where the hackers get the biggest bang for their hack. Small, single establishments only.

Problem is that you will become a victim again eventually. Depending on what information they have, your ID could be in use right now by several different people.

Anyone with a credit or debit card is. But in this case it was not identity theft. It was theft through the point-of-sale system of Target. The name, account number, expiration date and CVNS code is stolen and imbedded into the magnetic strip of a blank credit card. Then the thief can go shopping. I think my incident was caught because I had just made a point of sale purchase in New Jersey just minutes before the thief tried to make one in Maryland with the fake card.

It's apparent from reading through this thread that most people here don't know the difference.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back