Someone in Maryland Has a Clone of my ATM Card

I don't need credit.
So I purposely made my credit crappy.
Nobody is gonna steal my identity because my credit is crap.

Not true. If someone steals you identity and gets a job with your SSN and does not pay taxes how are you going to prove it was not you when the IRS comes looking for you? Did you hear about the lady in California that had (I believe the number was 19) people using her SSN and not paying taxes.

Last edited:
Problem is that you will become a victim again eventually. Depending on what information they have, your ID could be in use right now by several different people.

Anyone with a credit or debit card is. But in this case it was not identity theft. It was theft through the point-of-sale system of Target. The name, account number, expiration date and CVNS code is stolen and imbedded into the magnetic strip of a blank credit card. Then the thief can go shopping. I think my incident was caught because I had just made a point of sale purchase in New Jersey just minutes before the thief tried to make one in Maryland with the fake card.

It's apparent from reading through this thread that most people here don't know the difference.

Its all under the same heading of ID theft. You realize that once your ID is stolen someone can make a point of using that pertinent information to compile your profile, get more information, and repeat the process in a different manner? The other thing is they can create a whole new ID with elements of your information pieced together with other peoples information.

The fraud dept of my bank, Santander, called yesterday to ask if I was in Maryland trying to buy $400 worth of groceries at the Shopper's Mart in Gaithersburg. I said no, I'm sitting in my house in New Jersey.

The charge was declined as fraud was suspected. So this clone of my ATM card may be one of the ones created out of the Target breach a few months ago.

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards, credit cards still reinstate in the event of fraud. So looks like it's back to going to inside the bank for cash and using credit cards only for me.

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards,

you need a new Bank ....my Bank does....

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards

Sound like you need a new bank. Somebody tried using my check card back in December to buy a $200 Apple gift card and I had the money back in my account the next day.

My bank did just fine, they declined the transaction, shut down my account and I didn't lose a dime.

You might check with your bank to see if they are going to cover fraud on debit cards in the future.

"""A lesson from Target: Before you use that debit card"""

Here's what you need to know about debit cards:

If you do have a problem with a credit card transaction, you don't have to pay the amount in dispute while it's being investigated. With a debit card, the money is already gone from your checking account, and you're trying to get your own money back.

Debit card fraud has been rising by about 30 percent a year the last few years.
Credit cards offer protection under the federal Fair Credit Billing Act. This means you can refuse to pay for products or services that you didn't get or that are defective. There's no such protection with a debit card.

Debit card authorizations can tie up your money. Gas stations, hotels and other merchants may put a three-day hold on more money than you will be spending on a particular transaction. You can't use that money until the hold ends.

This temporary hold could cause other payments to bounce even though you really have enough money in your account.

See this is why I have to raise the font size and/or color, because people are too lazy to read:

Your protection under federal law stinks with a debit card, compared with the protection offered by credit cards. With a credit card, your liability in case of fraud or errors is limited to $50 if you notify the card issuer within 60 days after the statement listing the transaction is mailed. With a debit card, the $50 liability limit expires two days after the fraud. Then your liability goes up to $500.

Banks desperately want you to believe that debit cards are safe. However, that "zero liability" promise is voluntary, not the law.

You don't necessarily have protection against errors with debit cards. In many cases, banks regard errors by a merchant as a "billing dispute," not fraud. You're on your own to get it resolved.

If you use a debit card and a fraudulent charge or a billing error causes other payments to bounce (like your mortgage or cell phone payment), you will be hit with hefty overdraft fees (maybe $35 each) and will probably have difficulty getting the fees refunded.

A lesson from Target: Before you use that debit card again, here are 20 things you should know | cleveland.com

ok i see what you are saying....

Probably some democrat minority voter using that card. Anyone care to wager a bet?

Not often that I quote myself and say I was wrong, but this was a white crime perpetrated against NoTeaPartYPleAze. Ain't no black hoodlums in an uppity white place like that and I can't say I blame them.

The fraud dept of my bank, Santander, called yesterday to ask if I was in Maryland trying to buy $400 worth of groceries at the Shopper's Mart in Gaithersburg. I said no, I'm sitting in my house in New Jersey.

The charge was declined as fraud was suspected. So this clone of my ATM card may be one of the ones created out of the Target breach a few months ago.

Banks no longer cover losses from debit cards, credit cards still reinstate in the event of fraud. So looks like it's back to going to inside the bank for cash and using credit cards only for me.

Find a better bank, then! I have complete protection and am liable for NOTHING in case of bogus debit card charges!

Better check that one. All banks are dumping their coverage for fraud on debit cards. See the article I posted above. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

Banks and credit card carriers are gradually switching over to cards that have the microchip, so that the hackers can't produce blank cards with just the mag strip on the back that carries the info. AmEx has started issuing microchip cards now.

Just checked. I have 100% fraud protection. Find a better bank.

That hack was pretty damn clever. I admire it's back door purity and their ability to attack IBM point of sale controllers to gain access to that information. They would have probably had the same success with Wal-Mart because their POS shit is the same the last time I checked. Getting in would be tougher though.

Forum List

Back