Sometimes....

I had a particularly long day at work on Wednesday this last week and it was awful. When I got home my dog had completely destroyed the trash can and everything in it. I went to the couch and laid with her for around 2 hours.

Completely reinforced her bad behavior :dunno:

Oh well dogs are awesome :laugh:

Sounds like she had a hard day too. Lonesome and afraid. She needed exactly what you did.

A few years ago, my sister and I were reminiscing on some of the horrid traumatic shit that we dealt with while growing up. I'll spare details, as I've posted some of it before. Plus, I'm out of whisky. :D

Anyhow, it suddenly dawned on me the beauty of it. A macabre sort of beauty? I forget how I described it to her. Maybe it was the fact that those experiences partly define us as who we are today.
The fact that we somehow absorbed or internalized it through survival instinct? Maybe it's that we rose above it, or held on to our most basic of wits which signified our strength.

But what really blew me away was that she understood me and agreed. It was a fucking watershed moment for me.

We had another thread awhile back that evolved into reflections of life growing up. It's surprising (almost) at how traumatized many of us were.

Our past does define us, some are more sensitive than others but as hard things were, I'd bet it made you stronger. Not that I'd recommend raising your kids using scaring the shit out of them as a parenting strategy.

Our kids benefitted from our painful childhoods, we all turned out to be loving and nurturing. All of us, strong and professional women. We all knew what we didn't want to be.

Good thread, it opened a couple of you up in a surprising way. :)

That struck me too - about that thread where so many shared their abusive childhoods. I'll never understand how my own mother did, or other parents can beat the crap out of their kids. Why have kids if you hate them to the point of actually hitting them?

There's never a day go by that I don't fight off the effects of that past. I joke that it took me 60 years to finally get it right but I'm very glad I'm spending the last years of my life in peace and serenity.

An overly long, overly cold winter - and what signals it's enevitable passing? The Grand Migration of Robins back north - we've seen the lawns peppered with these red breasted birds stopping by :)

th

A few years ago, my sister and I were reminiscing on some of the horrid traumatic shit that we dealt with while growing up. I'll spare details, as I've posted some of it before. Plus, I'm out of whisky. :D

Anyhow, it suddenly dawned on me the beauty of it. A macabre sort of beauty? I forget how I described it to her. Maybe it was the fact that those experiences partly define us as who we are today.
The fact that we somehow absorbed or internalized it through survival instinct? Maybe it's that we rose above it, or held on to our most basic of wits which signified our strength.

But what really blew me away was that she understood me and agreed. It was a fucking watershed moment for me.

We had another thread awhile back that evolved into reflections of life growing up. It's surprising (almost) at how traumatized many of us were.

Our past does define us, some are more sensitive than others but as hard things were, I'd bet it made you stronger. Not that I'd recommend raising your kids using scaring the shit out of them as a parenting strategy.

Our kids benefitted from our painful childhoods, we all turned out to be loving and nurturing. All of us, strong and professional women. We all knew what we didn't want to be.

That struck me too - about that thread where so many shared their abusive childhoods. I'll never understand how my own mother did, or other parents can beat the crap out of their kids. Why have kids if you hate them to the point of actually hitting them?

There's never a day go by that I don't fight off the effects of that past. I joke that it took me 60 years to finally get it right but I'm very glad I'm spending the last years of my life in peace and serenity.

i envy you that.....peace and serenity....i am not a good caregiver...i have determined that yes, i can, take care of the estate and make sure she has everything she needs but i can not longer take her verbal abuse...simple as that...the guilt is less now i think

i envy you that.....peace and serenity....i am not a good caregiver...i have determined that yes, i can, take care of the estate and make sure she has everything she needs but i can not longer take her verbal abuse...simple as that...the guilt is less now i think

you are a GREAT caregiver bones..... and its about time you started taking care of yourself too.....

life is short and this is the only one you get. you have to make the most of it. when its over, no one is going to say to you, not happy with your life, we'll give you another shot. no matter what has happened in the past, start today and make the most you can of the rest of your life. take control of it. drive it where you want it to go. you put in what you get out. and you'll find you can be happy as hell with not all that much. you just need to identify what it is that makes you happy.

After I wrote that, I was thinking about what my life is like now. I have really serious health issues due to old abuse and chronic pain that just never lets up even a little but after 60 years of abuse of one kind or another, I finally have a peaceful loving home that I value beyond words. As long as I have no contact with family, as long as I don't let them into my life, I'll be fine but there are safety issues with that.

stolling - I don't know enough of your situation to know what the bolded refers to but it seems to me you are care-giver through and through.

I hope you're getting some of that care-taking back now. And, I hope your cancer is in permanent remission.

An overly long, overly cold winter - and what signals it's enevitable passing? The Grand Migration of Robins back north - we've seen the lawns peppered with these red breasted birds stopping by :)

th

Saw fields filled with Sandhills cranes earlier this week. Literally thousands of them and the sky was full of geese heading back north. Incredible sight.

Makes one believe that all is good with the world. And truthfully, it is.

I use pot to relax and unwind cause I have no shoulder to cry on or neck to hug.
Jokes are my way of beating manic depression I developed as an abused child.

Anything that resembled compassion died out long ago in my family,and I refuse to accept new relationships to hide from the bullet of pain and sadness at their failure also....

Life goes on and the world spins whether you suffer or are at ease..no one will notice my life or my passing..as many billions have in the past.

-30-

Yeah, caretaker here too. When I reeeeeaallly need to blow off steam though...this is how I do it! We have an outback with the same engine not tuned as much though and thousands of miles of dirt roads.....I go bonkers!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkyTT-VUoCo]EPIC DRIFT-- SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI RALLY CAR JAMAICA : RICHARD RERRIE - YouTube[/ame]

I use pot to relax and unwind cause I have no shoulder to cry on or neck to hug.
Jokes are my way of beating manic depression I developed as an abused child.

Anything that resembled compassion died out long ago in my family,and I refuse to accept new relationships to hide from the bullet of pain and sadness at their failure also....

Life goes on and the world spins whether you suffer or are at ease..no one will notice my life or my passing..as many billions have in the past.

-30-

So, you might as well be at ease. :smiliehug:

I was an alcoholic, lived in misery for many years because of it, had an abusive relationship where the guy liked to slap me around, sent me to the emergency room a few times. I've lost my mother and my father. Had two marriages break up. My current marriage is kind of worthless. But by far the hardest thing I've ever had to face was losing this dear, special soul. 94 days today, she's gone, and it's not getting any better. She was my joy, but she also enabled all the other joy in my life. Without her, all the joy is gone.

What I need I cannot have. How can I be comforted when my comforter is gone?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back