Southern cop shoots man running away in the back..

These laws?

SUBCHAPTER IV. ARREST.

GS 15A-401

(2) A law-enforcement officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person for a purpose specified in subdivision (1) of this subsection only when it is or appears to be reasonably necessary thereby:

a. To defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force;

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay; or

c. To prevent the escape of a person from custody imposed upon him as a result of conviction for a felony.

Yes, those laws.

Did you read them?

Specifically subsection b.

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay;

Sounds exactly like what I posted in post #4 of this thread.

"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

—Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

Fleeing felon rule - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I've seen no indication the man shot and killed committed a felony.

He attacked the police officer after the officers tazer either misfired or failed to make adequate contact with the offender. The offender is grappling with the officer at the beginning of the video, and the tazer that the officer said the offender stripped from him is laying on the ground. When the officer breaks away from the offender grip, the officer reaches for his service weapon. When the offender realize the officers gun hand was free of his restraint, he attempts to flea a second time.

I said it earlier...what was the offenders plan attacking the officer? He could jst hold him waiting for help to arrive, and he couldn't release him while the officer was in possession of his sidearm. That only leaves three alternatives, one of which we can dismiss out of hand...which is surrender. The two others are to incapacitate the officer or kill him. That is the definition of grievous bodily harm or death.

The officer was no longer in any kind of danger while the suspect was running away.

The officer has also been arrested and charged.

The system is working.

Where's the beef?
The "beef" is wondering just how prevalent this really is. We hear about incidents like this and typically, following an investigation, the officer is found to have done nothing outside of regulations and goes on with his life, though a family is destroyed. And while such shootings are in most cases, most likely justifiable, many must wonder how many cops got away with murder because unlike this case, their crime wasn't captured on video. My instinct informs me this would have ended up swept under the rug, like so many other times, had there been no video proof of what actually transpired.

Disgusting, the cop, needs to be tried by his peers and face his punishment. My heart goes out to man's family. This guy is another the reason that police officers get a bad name.

I should wait until a jury hears the case, however this is very disturbing.

This is the reality for minorities in this country...and reality about law enforcement......and this country....we house cowards. end of story.
The thing is we see the response to the claims that for a long time were called imagination. We see it makes no difference even on video. Time to wake up and realize that complaining to the doer of the deed is not working.

That's a good point. Earlier I already heard a group yelling the inevitable "No-Justice-N-Peace-!!" cliche chant.
He's been arrested, and charged. The process will now move forward in the normal fashion. That's all that can be done at this point.

You DO know what the "normal fashion" is when it comes to convicting cops dont you?

I'm referring to the legal process. This being the system where we grant a charged individual their day in court.
Hopefully these people and you are not calling for the man to be dragged from his cell and lynched in the public square.
That would be pretty cool. We have it on video that he shot the guy. Why waste taxpayers money with a trial?

There have been countless times in the past that I would have loved to have seen a perp dragged kicking and screaming to the nearest public square and have the persons head hopped off and placed on a pike and paraded through the streets.

We both know that that's not how it works, the guy will get his day in court.
If it wasnt on video I would agree. However, it is on video.

Take today for instance. The Boston Marathon bombing was almost two years ago, but the verdict to the trial just came today.
If ever there was a guy that deserved to be dragged from his cell right after the murders, it was this dirtbag.
Look how long the families of the victim had to wait for justice, and of course keep in mind even if the creep gets the death penalty it will be years before the families truly see justice.

Oh my heavens! I just saw the stills at the Daily Mail. Unfreaking real.

Cold blooded murder. Thank goodness someone captured this. All over a lousy broken tail light.

I can't believe what I'm looking at.
Yeah, shot for the tail light.

Not for resisting arrest, and running from warrants for the lowest crime of all, failure to support children he fathered.

It's all about the tail light, yeah, right.

It is all about karma.

Pay your fuckin' child support, and you don't have these problems.
Notice how the lefties turn it into about being about a tail light. They also missed the part about Michael Brown attacking Darren Wilson. It's about convenience to them.

Lets talk someday, when you white mother****** began getting the same treatment minorities get in this effin country......trust me, yaw do the same exact shttt, you just live to talk about it, we don't!!

I've been pulled over with an outstanding warrant. My "survival" had nothing to do with my skin color. I turned the vehicle off, rolled down the window, placed the keys on the roof and put both hands out the window.

I didn't run away, I didn't fight with the police, I knew I was wrong and I took my medicine...I'd like to say "like a man" but that's not true...a man wouldn't have gotten himself in that position in the first place.

So, I walked away not because of my skin color, but because I understood the process of being arrested.

Video captures police killing of unarmed black man TheHill

Enjoy prison asshole! That badge won't protect your ass now!
Actually, the badge probably WILL protect him, to the extent that prison staff do not usually endanger ex-cops by putting them into the general population.

A courtesy they extent their fallen brothers and sisters, so long as they have not betrayed The Brotherhood or committed Treason or Sexual Assault of a Child, etc.

Cold blooded murder. Thank goodness someone captured this. All over a lousy broken tail light.

Not for resisting arrest, and running from warrants for the lowest crime of all, failure to support children he fathered.

It is all about karma.

Notice how the lefties turn it into about being about a tail light. They also missed the part about Michael Brown attacking Darren Wilson. It's about convenience to them.

Lets talk someday, when you white mother****** began getting the same treatment minorities get in this effin country......trust me, yaw do the same exact shttt, you just live to talk about it, we don't!!

I've been pulled over with an outstanding warrant. My "survival" had nothing to do with my skin color. I turned the vehicle off, rolled down the window, placed the keys on the roof and put both hands out the window.

I didn't run away, I didn't fight with the police, I knew I was wrong and I took my medicine...I'd like to say "like a man" but that's not true...a man wouldn't have gotten himself in that position in the first place.

So, I walked away not because of my skin color, but because I understood the process of being arrested.
Holy shit, how many felons frequent this forum. No wonder it is a hate site...all of the members are convicts!

Anytime I am pulled, usually speeding, I get my insurance card and DL out of my wallet. Place my wallet and the insurance card and DL on the dash in front of me and put my hands on the the dash also.

I am polite, give them what the need and keep my hands in sight.

It is puts him at ease, which makes things go faster, he has a job to do and I have my life to lead.

It is all about karma.

Bingo, we have a winner.

I've been pulled over for traffic violations. My survival had to do with the officer asking for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. I didn't make sudden moves or give him any reason to think I was doing anything except complying. While the tickets weren't any fun, I went away realizing that I was wrong but acted in a way that common sense dictates one act.

It is all about karma.

That much is true.

Want to survive the 'arrest encounter'?

Don't fight, and don't run.

Problem solved.

Anytime I am pulled, usually speeding, I get my insurance card and DL out of my wallet. Place my wallet and the insurance card and DL on the dash in front of me and put my hands on the the dash also.

I am polite, give them what the need and keep my hands in sight.

It is puts him at ease, which makes things go faster, he has a job to do and I have my life to lead.

Same here. I carry a pistol in my glovebox and do so according to all laws. I include my CWP with those other things. I've been asked why. I state that I have a gun in the glove box. Since it's carried according to the laws of my State, no problem.

Yes, those laws.

Did you read them?

Specifically subsection b.

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay;

Sounds exactly like what I posted in post #4 of this thread.

"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

—Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

Fleeing felon rule - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I've seen no indication the man shot and killed committed a felony.

He attacked the police officer after the officers tazer either misfired or failed to make adequate contact with the offender. The offender is grappling with the officer at the beginning of the video, and the tazer that the officer said the offender stripped from him is laying on the ground. When the officer breaks away from the offender grip, the officer reaches for his service weapon. When the offender realize the officers gun hand was free of his restraint, he attempts to flea a second time.

I said it earlier...what was the offenders plan attacking the officer? He could jst hold him waiting for help to arrive, and he couldn't release him while the officer was in possession of his sidearm. That only leaves three alternatives, one of which we can dismiss out of hand...which is surrender. The two others are to incapacitate the officer or kill him. That is the definition of grievous bodily harm or death.

The officer was no longer in any kind of danger while the suspect was running away.

The officer has also been arrested and charged.

The system is working.

Where's the beef?
The "beef" is wondering just how prevalent this really is. We hear about incidents like this and typically, following an investigation, the officer is found to have done nothing outside of regulations and goes on with his life, though a family is destroyed. And while such shootings are in most cases, most likely justifiable, many must wonder how many cops got away with murder because unlike this case, their crime wasn't captured on video. My instinct informs me this would have ended up swept under the rug, like so many other times, had there been no video proof of what actually transpired.

I hope that some one gives the person who had the where with all to hang in there and keep filming while this nightmare was unfolding before their very eyes a hero's parade/reward/keys to the city/ fill in the blank.

It took a lot of testicular fortitude to hang in there and capture it all on film. And BRAVO! to whoever it is.

And you are right. The police version that was out there in advance of the video coming out was a complete fairy tale based on the Officer's lies.

It is all about karma.

That much is true.

Problem solved.

There's a time and place to fight what you think is wrong. While the situation is occurring may not be it.

You can also infer that the office attacked for no reason and the victim was defending himself. That would attract my attention and has in the past.

No, you can't. The officer was in pursuit of a person illegally fleeing a traffic stop...therefore he cannot "attack for no reason". Scott attacking the officer and stripping away his less-than-legal device was a felony.

What Wilson Scott SHOULD have done is surrender...not attack the officer.
How do we know the stop wasn't illegal?

Do you have any evidence that it was? And I'm not crappin' on the idea, I've been stopped illegally more than once. "You veered onto the yellow line." Bullcrap, you just wanted to stop me an see what I was doing at 2am.

Sounds like the officer was justified in stopping you, DUI is a crime you know.

Except I know for a fact I didn't veer onto the yellow line, and I hadn't been drinking, I was on my way home from work. I could afford much by way of a vehicle at the time and was driving a beat up, rusted jalopy. The officer more or copped to the fact the stop was bogus...he said drug dealers were running drugs to the lake in old, beat up vehicles like the one I was driving.

I traded that beat up car for a beat up rusted truck...been drivin' em ever since. I'm pretty sure today I could rebuild a 300 inline six in my sleep.

So you say. Do you have it on video?

It is all about karma.

That much is true.

Problem solved.

When in doubt, just shoot.....problem solved.

It is all about karma.

Holy shit, how many felons frequent this forum. No wonder it is a hate site...all of the members are convicts!

Why do you assume a felony?

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back - Post and Courier
Judging before the facts again idiot?

The footage is the facts, pal....one more time, get with reality and stop protecting murderers of unarmed blacks.
The video didn't show what happened right before the footage started. Much like the Rodney King case, making a judgment on less then the whole truth.

No, you can't. The officer was in pursuit of a person illegally fleeing a traffic stop...therefore he cannot "attack for no reason". Scott attacking the officer and stripping away his less-than-legal device was a felony.

What Wilson Scott SHOULD have done is surrender...not attack the officer.
How do we know the stop wasn't illegal?

Do you have any evidence that it was? And I'm not crappin' on the idea, I've been stopped illegally more than once. "You veered onto the yellow line." Bullcrap, you just wanted to stop me an see what I was doing at 2am.

Sounds like the officer was justified in stopping you, DUI is a crime you know.

Except I know for a fact I didn't veer onto the yellow line, and I hadn't been drinking, I was on my way home from work. I could afford much by way of a vehicle at the time and was driving a beat up, rusted jalopy. The officer more or copped to the fact the stop was bogus...he said drug dealers were running drugs to the lake in old, beat up vehicles like the one I was driving.

I traded that beat up car for a beat up rusted truck...been drivin' em ever since. I'm pretty sure today I could rebuild a 300 inline six in my sleep.

So you say. Do you have it on video?

Does the cop have one of him veering?

...There's a time and place to fight what you think is wrong. While the situation is occurring may not be it.

777-slot-machine.jpg

True enough.

Nature has de-selected him.

Damned tough break for the family, and damned heartless and cruel of the cop.

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back - Post and Courier
Judging before the facts again idiot?

The footage is the facts, pal....one more time, get with reality and stop protecting murderers of unarmed blacks.
The video didn't show what happened right before the footage started. Much like the Rodney King case, making a judgment on less then the whole truth.

Rodney King was asked on more than one occasion to stay down. When he didn't, I guess the cops were supposed to let him up because he wanted to get up.

Forum List

Back