Speed Of Light In An Airplane...

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I am NOT uo on all the mathematics first of all and I am posting on the cell at the inlaws so forgive my poor wording of the question.

It is my understanding the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant.

If I turn on a flashlight on in an airplane and shine it forward is the light coming out of the bulb moving slower than it's constant relative to me or does it propel away from me at its same speed?

Consider I can throw a baseball 70 mph yet inside a plane moving 500 mph I can throw one forward thanks to the enclosed environment.

I am NOT uo on all the mathematics first of all and I am posting on the cell at the inlaws so forgive my poor wording of the question.

If I turn on a flashlight on in an airplane and shine it forward is the light coming out of the bulb moving slower than it's constant relative to me or does it propel away from me at its same speed?

Consider I can throw a baseball 70 mph yet inside a plane moving 500 mph I can throw one forward thanks to the enclosed environment.

We touched on this back here.
Actually we posted that tomorrow, but since we were going faster than light it shows up in the past.

That's a good scientific question. I don't have time to start to figure it out but here is what I think a good beginning would be. Light travels at approximately 186,000 miles per second so you're going to have to figure out how far the plane went in one second. In that one second, remember, the plane may have gone less than 5 mile while the light from your flashlight has already reached a speed of 186,000 miles per second in that brief time.

Last edited:
let me say this in let me say this: Light moves so fast! You must consider that even though the plane is moving at 500 mph ,when you turn on your flashlight the beam has gone thousands of miles before the plane moved one hundredth of an inch or before it moved at all.

It's been 1-1/2 hours since the OP. I think he got busted by the in-laws. :lol:

In the meantime, I took this photo a few years back...

Picture330.jpg

You can throw it forward because speed is relative. You threw the ball at 70 MPH relative to you in the plane. Relative to a fixed spot outside the plane the ball actually was traveling at 570 MPH. Being enclosed doesn't make a difference.

Same with light, the light accelerates out from you at the speed of light so relative to you it is moving away at 186000 MpS. Relative to a fixed point it is moving at 186008 MpS, the speed of the plane making very little difference. When it does become interesting is when the plane, if it could, approaches the speed of light but the amount of energy required to propel the plane at the speed of light approaches infinity making it virtually impossible.

Think back to your high school physics class. It must have covered The Michelson–Morley experiment. Same principle.

Speed of light in a vehicle moving at some fraction of light still moves foward from the vehicle at full light-speed. It's the only known exception to how velocity adds together. Everythign else, like throwing a baseball, or riding on hroseback and hurling a spear or firing an arrow, the two velocities add together. But not light.

Interesting some hypotheses suggest light isn't actually the constant we think it is, and that over the billions of years the universe has existed, the speed of light has changed. Dropping according to some ideas.

"The physicist João Magueijo has proposed a heretical question: What if the speed of light—now accepted as one of the unchanging foundations of modern physics—were not constant? Magueijo, a native of Portugal, puts forth the heretical idea that in the very early days of the universe light traveled faster—an idea that if proven could dethrone Einstein and forever change our understanding of the universe."
Light Traveled Faster in the Early Universe -- The Varying Speed of Light Theory Today s Most Popular

Also, in lab experiments tested and verified to date, the speed of light can be slowed down. They fired a laser into some kind of gel or medium and noted how it slowed down to just feet per second.

"Light, which normally travels the 240,000 miles from the Moon to Earth in less than two seconds, has been slowed to the speed of a minivan in rush-hour traffic -- 38 miles an hour."
Physicists Slow Speed of Light

During a lunch time break at my job.

One obnoxious "know it all" type of fellow was going on and on about nothing was faster that the speed of light.

Finally, just to shut him up, I told him there was one thing faster than the speed of light.

He went into a tizzy with a string of "that's impossible"!!

I told him it was the "speed of dark", and was very easy to prove. Just turn "off" a light switch and the speed of dark happens faster than the speed of light can catch up.

He got so mad that he got up and exited the break room and we were able to finish our lunch break in peace and quiet. ..... :cool:

During a lunch time break at my job.

One obnoxious "know it all" type of fellow was going on and on about nothing was faster that the speed of light.

Finally, just to shut him up, I told him there was one thing faster than the speed of light.

He went into a tizzy with a string of "that's impossible"!!

I told him it was the "speed of dark", and was very easy to prove. Just turn "off" a light switch and the speed of dark happens faster than the speed of light can catch up.

He got so mad that he got up and exited the break room and we were able to finish our lunch break in peace and quiet. ..... :cool:

Darkness and light are fascinating. You don't fully appreciate what darkness is until you've been in a photographic darkroom. :) Took a nap in one waiting around for my cousin way back, and even after a few hours sleep it was still dark. Even with fully dilated pupils I had trouble just standing up with no reference for correction to maintain balance.

Same with light, the light accelerates out from you at the speed of light so relative to you it is moving away at 186000 MpS. Relative to a fixed point it is moving at 186008 MpS, the speed of the plane making very little difference

Incorrect. All observers always see light moving, in a vacuum, at a speed of exactly c. Nobody ever sees light moving at (c + speed of emitter), as you're suggesting. For an outside observer, the effect of light being emitted by a moving object would be a red or blue shift in the light, depending if they're going or coming. It would change the frequency, but would never change the speed.

Same with light, the light accelerates out from you at the speed of light so relative to you it is moving away at 186000 MpS. Relative to a fixed point it is moving at 186008 MpS, the speed of the plane making very little difference

Incorrect. All observers always see light moving, in a vacuum, at a speed of exactly c. Nobody ever sees light moving at (c + speed of emitter), as you're suggesting. For an outside observer, the effect of light being emitted by a moving object would be a red or blue shift in the light, depending if they're going or coming. It would change the frequency, but would never change the speed.

Correct but not exactly right. I never said the speed of light changed only the speed relative to a fixed point. For example there is a demonstration where a video camera is placed on a moving platform and another at a fixed location. As the platform is moving a ball is dropped the video camera on the platform shows the ball falling straight down, the one in the fixed location shows it falling in a curve, both are correct.

Forum List

Back