Starbucks implements gun-free zones in stores - and gets robbed at gunpoint

People who don't carry guns are the ones who are not afraid. People who can't function in life without being armed because they are so paranoid and afraid of their own shadow they think they are always under attack are the ones who are afraid.

You know, that's like saying that people who own cars are lazy. The people who walk everywhere they go, they're the ones with a real drive and work ethic.

Yes the hole freaking thread is about how the robbery would not have happened if a gun free zone that isn't actually a gun free zone was not a gun free zone.

If the gun free zone had actually been defined a gun free zone instead of not a gun free zone but instead a policy of no guns then the argument of no guns instead of a gun free zone would have helped this thread debating a gun free zone that is actually a no guns policy.

As yes the old spin game. The policies for employees have nothing to do with the customers who are still free to carry if they want.

I said show me the imposed gun free zone. You cant so stop saying it exists.

Starbucks CEO announced they are gun free zone 3 months ago.

it does not exist in your mind only

No he didnt and that is why you wont post a link because you cant link to shit that never happened

When will you learn you will never be able to consistently best Conservative posters because we are committed to the truth?

The minute you also become committed to the truth you will find you are posting more and more like a Conservative.

December 19, 2013

How's that gun-free zone working out for Starbucks?

Thomas Lifson

Three months ago, Starbucks' CEO Howard Schultz proudly announced a gun-free zone policy for his company's stores.

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That's why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

So, how's it working out? KKTV TV in Colorado Springs reports:

Police are searching for a man who held up at Colorado Springs Starbucks Sunday morning.

Employees told officers that after the suspect walled in, he pulled out a gun and demanded money from the register. He left after employees gave him money. No one was injured.
The suspect is described as a black man in his early-to-mid 20s, slim and about 6 feet tall to 6-foot-2. He was dressed in all black. Police say he may have left the area in a black Subaru-style vehicle.​

What a shock!

Hat tip: iOwnTheWorld.com

Blog: How's that gun-free zone working out for Starbucks?

Yea because one of you coffe drinking Rambos would have stopped him.:) more likely you would have shot yourself in the leg.

I recently completed 16 hours of firearms training from a State Police certified instructor.

We were given a similar scenario to contemplate. The instructor's advice was to flee the situation and call 9-1-1. He further advised us that IF we chose to confront the perpetrator, we should get his/her attention until they faced us front-on. Only then can one shoot to kill.

This is the responsibility of lawfully carrying and using a concealed firearm.

To a perpetrator, there is no responsibility nor are there laws.

Now you choose who's side you are on...

Aside from any legal ramifications, I would imagine this training scenario placed a strong emphasis for the safety of bystanders. Am I not correct?
In my view a poorly trained or untrained gun owner can be every bit as dangerous as the criminal.

In my view a poorly trained or untrained gun owner can be every bit as dangerous as the criminal.
Strange view. Have you got any evidence that shall issue states are having more problems than may issue states with bystanders getting shot? Even police officers can make a mistake but unless you can disarm the criminal, I'll take my chances in a shall issue state.

And I believe most of the noise about Starbucks and guns are due to the open carry nuts trying to make a statement of sorts, no matter how counter-productive.

Oh, and if they had not instituted that policy, they would not have been robbed? Is that your point?

Strange view. Have you got any evidence that shall issue states are having more problems than may issue states with bystanders getting shot? Even police officers can make a mistake but unless you can disarm the criminal, I'll take my chances in a shall issue state.

And I believe most of the noise about Starbucks and guns are due to the open carry nuts trying to make a statement of sorts, no matter how counter-productive.

He's correct. A poorly trained, or untrained person, can be very dangerous. Just like a poorly trained, or untrained, driver can be very dangerous.

If you don't know what you are doing, if you aren't well trained and capable, pulling out a gun in a tense situation can easily get yourself and/or other innocent people killed. That is why responsible gun owners gain proficiency before they use their weapons for the purpose they intend.

I recently completed 16 hours of firearms training from a State Police certified instructor.

We were given a similar scenario to contemplate. The instructor's advice was to flee the situation and call 9-1-1. He further advised us that IF we chose to confront the perpetrator, we should get his/her attention until they faced us front-on. Only then can one shoot to kill.

The face-on rule doesn't apply if the perp is shooting at you....nobody expects you to disengage simply because he turned his back....he may be exiting, he may be looking for another target....put one between his shoulder-blades....no jury will have a problem with that.

He's correct. A poorly trained, or untrained person, can be very dangerous. Just like a poorly trained, or untrained, driver can be very dangerous.

If you don't know what you are doing, if you aren't well trained and capable, pulling out a gun in a tense situation can easily get yourself and/or other innocent people killed. That is why responsible gun owners gain proficiency before they use their weapons for the purpose they intend.
That's nonsense. Self defense isn't the same as driving or chasing bad guys. I asked him to support the view with facts, not another opinion. Self defense doesn't mean pulling your gun out in a tense situation, it means do or die.

Back up your opinion with bystander injury stats in shall issue vs. may issue states. I'm not saying that training wouldn't be helpful but your opinion is based on conjecture. People that have guns or knives pulled out on them generally do not have crowds around to help.

Besides that, driving is a priveledge, not a right.

Please read my post carefully..
I stated, In my view( that indicates an opinion) a poorly trained or untrained gun owner can( that would indicate possibility not a will occur) be every bit as dangerous as a criminal.
Your knee jerk reaction is duly noted.

Starbucks has just reinforced an old lesson:

Be careful what you wish for.

You may get it.

Oh, and if they had not instituted that policy, they would not have been robbed? Is that your point?

I think concealed carry laws place in the mind of criminals an area of doubt. As in, "shit I better look for another place to knock over because this one allows guns".
The wolf will attack the least guarded sheep.

:lol: I was gonna harrass you for being a stalinist but it's Christmas Eve and I'm chillin for the next 39 hours so you get a pass.

Merry Christmas ya little prick.

And a happy holiday to you Jarhead. Oh, and BTW, I'm 6'2" and 230 and you should call me sir, since I'm a former Sailor (1967 -1969)

:lol: sure ya are "SIR". How about a pic of you in your little white cap? :eusa_angel:

Unless his climb through the ranks was at an accelerated pace, after three years, it's unlikely he made it past E-4 ( petty officer 3rd class) or O-2..Lt Jr Grade
Hardly a "sir"...

And a happy holiday to you Jarhead. Oh, and BTW, I'm 6'2" and 230 and you should call me sir, since I'm a former Sailor (1967 -1969)

:lol: sure ya are "SIR". How about a pic of you in your little white cap? :eusa_angel:

Unless his climb through the ranks was at an accelerated pace, after three years, it's unlikely he made it past E-4 ( petty officer 3rd class) or O-2..Lt Jr Grade

Hardly a "sir"...

Sirs are officers. You can join commissioned.

This thread is full of perfect examples of the type of people who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.

Hardly a "sir"...

Sirs are officers. You can join commissioned.

Does Wry Catcher impress you as somebody who went through ROTC and joined as a commissioned officer? :lol:

So, when a 53 yo woman with her brand new concealed carry permit and weapon in hand or bag or where ever, how does she raise her pulse rate up to 200 bpm and flood her system with adrenaline and start shaking, then practice with her gun to shoot what she aims at?

How does a man or woman replicate the REAL situation that will occur IF she/he decided to pull their gun and stop a robbery in process?

Forum List

Back