State of the Union

Look at my statements Murked, I'm not criticizing his delivery...I think he did OK. I'm not gonna bash that. Once you don't sound like a damn fool, you're OK in my book...for things such as this.

I'm critiquing his content. He didn't produce anything new. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Bupkiss.

He's simply regurgitating the same RW lines in a nice way.

That's not leadership.

Note who, and why, I stated are leaders. Christie has the balls to say what has to be said to whoever it needs to be said no matter what. Jeb Bush, quiet as kept, seems to have those tendencies too. And we all know that CRAZY A$$ RW fundie Mike Huckabee doesn't give a hot DAMN who he says to what...so, in that sense, he's a leader.

Rubio is a party-line-tower. He has handlers, and it's obvious. He's trying to be Mr. Perfect, that's not leadership and it's not going to work.

Mark my words.

We know him here. Lights on, nobody home. A pretty boy sans substance.

A leopard with the same old faded spots. Only thing is, now a great big audience knows it.

Regards from Rosie

He's so well known as you describe that he won a statewide election by a huge margin?

Florida Democrats are amusing. Delusional, but amusing.

He had a cakewalk primary and the race was split three way. Crist as an independent pulled many Dem votes. Now Crist IS a Dem.

Of course he had big numbers with the opposition split.

Now explain why Connie Mack lost his elction by huge numbers in a red state?

Regards from Rosie

He hit the same notes Romney did...didn't work out too well for the Governor or the GOP since the election...

More coal, less wind.
Less unions, more income for the rich
Less regulation, more "trust us"
Cut everything that doesn't explode
More guns, less restriction on who gets them

Look for this to be brought up time and again

Rubio had a good point with regards to spending and the role of government. "Our problems today were not created because our government was too small."

Well, he did reference the shrinking GDP of the last month. Economists point to a shrinking government spending as the cause:

GDP report: U.S. economy contracts in the fourth quarter of 2012 - Jan. 30, 2013

Republicans rip White House over finger pointing in wake of dismal GDP report | Fox News

That's the problem with the Obama economy. The programs didn't stimulate the economy, it created further dependency on the government. That's unsustainable.

He can recover. The problem is the Party. He's going to have trouble with his own party. These old codgers in the GOP already distrust him because of his skin color. Put that together with the performance....may be fatal.

That is utter bullshit. The GOP establishment are looking to Rubio to be the great savior of the party (and that's why the GOP is feckless, a young career politician isn't going to fix anything).

When they nominate him, I'll apologize for the comment. I wouldn't hold my breath.

They had him deliver the SOTU response. They (the GOP establishment) elevated him to the Senate. They fast-tracked him to Speaker of the House in Florida way ahead of normal.

We know him here. Lights on, nobody home. A pretty boy sans substance.

A leopard with the same old faded spots. Only thing is, now a great big audience knows it.

Regards from Rosie

He's so well known as you describe that he won a statewide election by a huge margin?

Florida Democrats are amusing. Delusional, but amusing.

He had a cakewalk primary and the race was split three way. Crist as an independent pulled many Dem votes. Now Crist IS a Dem.

Of course he had big numbers with the opposition split.

Now explain why Connie Mack lost his elction by huge numbers in a red state?

Regards from Rosie

So you're saying an idiot was elected because the Democrats couldn't win with two viable candidates? :cuckoo: Connie Mack lost because he's a tool and wasn't fit for the office. Only the pure partisans voted for him and there weren't enough of those fools. He didn't lose because of the Democrats who would have never voted for any Republican. He lost because the Republican voters didn't want him in office.

Apparently, some are doing it again this year - Rs and Ds sitting next to each other. Good for them.

Others have chosen to show they don't give a damn about their own country and are boycotting.

They have consistently refused invitations to the WH and to Camp David and tonight, some won't even bother to show up. I hope that President Obama does not keep trying to end the hyper-partisanship the Rs are so committed to. I hope its "No more Mr Nice Guy" the next four years because the opposite hasn't worked at all.

You can't compromise with people that you do not have anything in common with. You DO NOT compromise with people who want to destroy this country. You do not compromise with obama's failure because some idiot thinks you should.

Apparently, some are doing it again this year - Rs and Ds sitting next to each other. Good for them.

Others have chosen to show they don't give a damn about their own country and are boycotting.

They have consistently refused invitations to the WH and to Camp David and tonight, some won't even bother to show up. I hope that President Obama does not keep trying to end the hyper-partisanship the Rs are so committed to. I hope its "No more Mr Nice Guy" the next four years because the opposite hasn't worked at all.

I just watch the House debate on the Balanced Budget Act, or whatever it is called. Dem's were ripping the Republicans. The people gave a definite message to the Mitt/Ryan team and they have not gone back and changed one word of Ryan's budget.

Are you talking about the people that voted multiple times?

I'm watching my recording of the sotu.

Loved the way he continued to encourage passing good bills that are just sitting there.

The CEOs encouraging moving on infrastructure. Keeping jobs on the front burner.

Passage of the violence against women act. Why would they vote against that?

$9 per hour minimum wage. Tie the minimum wage to the cost of living. Tax credits to companies who hire.

Moving into a supporting role in Afghanistan. War over next year.

Protecting our right to vote, the 102 year old woman who waited 6 hours was sad. Protecting our children. Common sense gun legislation, these things deserve a vote in congress.

Good, substantive speech, some of the feel good stuff was pretty great too.

Forgot to mention immigration reform that seemed to please both sides.

Last edited:
I'm watching my recording of the sotu.

Loved the way he continued to encourage passing good bills that are just sitting there.

The CEOs encouraging moving on infrastructure. Keeping jobs on the front burner.

Passage of the violence against women act. Why would they vote against that?

$9 per hour minimum wage. Tie the minimum wage to the cost of living. Tax credits to companies who hire.

Moving into a supporting role in Afghanistan. War over next year.

Protecting our right to vote, the 102 year old woman who waited 6 hours was sad. Protecting our children. Common sense gun legislation, these things deserve a vote in congress.

Good, substantive speech, some of the feel good stuff was pretty great too.

Forgot to mention immigration reform that seemed to please both sides.

Karl Marx would have been encourage.

Dang, I somehow missed another political speech. Shoot.

Okay, let me guess how a couple of networks reacted:

MSNBC: "O my gawd, that was the greatest speech ever, wasn't that the greatest speech ever? O my gawd"

Fox: "Obama is a Marxist Leninist Stalinst Carterist Muslim Kenyan who is out to destroy the country and turn us into North Korea"

Close?

:rolleyes:

That is utter bullshit. The GOP establishment are looking to Rubio to be the great savior of the party (and that's why the GOP is feckless, a young career politician isn't going to fix anything).

When they nominate him, I'll apologize for the comment. I wouldn't hold my breath.

They had him deliver the SOTU response. They (the GOP establishment) elevated him to the Senate. They fast-tracked him to Speaker of the House in Florida way ahead of normal.

Which does not demonstrate competence on Rubio's part, but instead how crappy the rest of both Republican chambers in Florida were.

A turd that floats is still a turd.

Regards from Rosie

And as expected, he did not address the millions of college students in severe debt, wasted 4 years of their lives learning a trade they want to get into. They live with their parents and have no hope. Obama is the blame for their woes. Nothing about the future of college graduates. So typical of a President who hates the middle class and college graduates.

Rubio's rebuttal was mostly lies and misinformation for low-information zombies. It was bullshit, and will be heavily fact-checked.

He hit the same notes Romney did...didn't work out too well for the Governor or the GOP since the election...

More coal, less wind.
Less unions, more income for the rich
Less regulation, more "trust us"
Cut everything that doesn't explode
More guns, less restriction on who gets them

Look for this to be brought up time and again

Rubio had a good point with regards to spending and the role of government. "Our problems today were not created because our government was too small."

Actually, they were

The government was asleep at the switch as the financial sector ran rampant with no enforcement of regulations. The government was too small in not stepping in to stop an impending recession from getting out of control. They were too small in denying that we had a major economic collapse until the elections were over

And as expected, he did not address the millions of college students in severe debt, wasted 4 years of their lives learning a trade they want to get into. They live with their parents and have no hope. Obama is the blame for their woes. Nothing about the future of college graduates. So typical of a President who hates the middle class and college graduates.

Did you miss the address? He did address the fact that there were no jobs for college students and that we are not training students for the existing job market. He spent a good portion of his speech on the middle class and how they have been left out of the economic recovery

Funny I replayed it on the DVR and then realized I was watching the one from 4 years ago.

I erased that one and then watched the most recent and they were exactly the same.

here's someones take on the speech, glad I missed it
links in article at site

SNIP:
Obama's Favorite Things!
by Ben Shapiro12 Feb 2013243post a comment

On Tuesday night, President Obama gave what will go down as one of the most partisan State of the Union Addresses in American history. In consonance with his favorite tactic – citing widespread but nonexistent consensus in order to press for his radical left agenda – Obama led off by linking himself to John F. Kennedy:

Fifty-one years ago, John F. Kennedy declared to this Chamber that “the Constitution makes us not rivals for power but partners for progress…It is my task,” he said, “to report the State of the Union – to improve it is the task of us all.”

Then he spelled out an agenda that has precisely zero chance of passing. Which, of course, is not his point – he merely wants to paint his opponents as obstructionists to progress, morally deficient and benighted Neanderthals who love the rich and hate the poor, love the white and hate minorities, and love religious bigots but hate gays and lesbians. And in pushing this narrative, Obama hopes to obfuscate the fact that his policies result in more human misery per capita than any president since FDR and Herbert Hoover, and that his deficit spending dwarfs any spending binge in human history to boot.

He started with an appeal to class warfare:

Our economy is adding jobs – but too many people still can’t find full-time employment. Corporate profits have rocketed to all-time highs – but for more than a decade, wages and incomes have barely budged. It is our generation’s task, then, to reignite the true engine of America’s economic growth – a rising, thriving middle class. It is our unfinished task to restore the basic bargain that built this country – the idea that if you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or who you love.

all of it here
Obama's Favorite Things!

Our economy is adding jobs – but too many people still can’t find full-time employment. Corporate profits have rocketed to all-time highs – but for more than a decade, wages and incomes have barely budged. It is our generation’s task, then, to reignite the true engine of America’s economic growth – a rising, thriving middle class. It is our unfinished task to restore the basic bargain that built this country – the idea that if you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or who you love.

By all means.....bring on the class warfare

Forum List

Back