Stealing from our silence: American Indophobia

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
I think Indians will have to get into media industry or else they will remain disadvantaged.

---

I suppose this is what happens when you get yourself known as a people who will only listen, but never speak. American Indophobia is a peculiar phenomenon, an invisible one. Unlike other forms of racism or xenophobia, no one will even admit to it.

After all, when Donald Trump makes even hypothetical (but ugly) declarations about banning Muslims from entering the US, the world rightly condemns it as Islamophobia. However, when laws are actually created to discourage Indian IT workers in the midst of a pervasive “they’re stealing our jobs” outcry, it is seen as normal, at best a trade issue, no xenophobia here.

The fact is that neither outsourcing nor immigration need to be framed as “job stealing”. Yet, that is the trope by which America knows India. When Americans consume French wines, they don’t think that French vineyard workers are stealing the jobs of their American counterparts. When Americans go shopping, they don’t stop because something they like was made in China. And yet, when it comes to the skilled labour that keeps their digital universe running smoothly, somehow a “thief” comes to mind. Their consumption of Indian services isn’t seen as just business, but as India stealing something.

It is strange that a country that for decades sold free markets as freedom to the world would fall back on old colonial myths to comfort itself in the face of Indian competitiveness. It is useful therefore to understand this racial mythology. Stereotypes tell us more about the people producing them than their victims.

Labelling Indians as job stealers, particularly in the rarefied world of the knowledge economy, might have something to do with unaddressed western guilt about appropriating Indian intelligence, whether in the form of mathematics and science (originally supposed to have been the gift of Enlightenment Europe to the dark and superstitious Hindoos), or even in the newer “gifts” from India. Large numbers of Americans are selfhelping themselves to like yoga (which, incidentally, their scholars maintain has little to do with Hinduism, or even India, according to one recent book that neatly accused India of having stolen yoga from European gymnastic-drills!).

For several decades, a tacit complicity in ignorance from both sides has ensured that a sub-human narrative about India has become the norm in American academia and media. For every Tom Friedman who saw hope for the world in India’s economic rise, America also had several Pankaj Mishras and Arundhati Roys hallucinating about its descent into neo-liberal, neo-Nazi Hindutva. And as if to make up for every small effort to humanise Indians beyond the old Temple of Doom stereotypes in popular culture, we had one blockbuster like Slumdog Millionaire reinforcing the myth of unredeemable Hindu oppressiveness.

As for academia, particularly the activism-fuelled world of South Asia studies, it continues to go around insisting that “dharma is code for Hindu nationalism” (in a recent petition challenging the proposed funding of India studies at the University of California Irvine by an organisation called the Dharma Civilization Foundation), or that the middle school history lessons on “Ancient India” be re-labelled as “Ancient South Asia” because “India didn’t exist before 1947″ (from a recent petition to the California board of education about proposed changes in the history curriculum).

Academia remains a major source of Indophobia in America because unlike in India the humanities and social sciences are well respected and end up being used to support political agendas and public policies (racially biased “intelligence” studies, for example, led to the immigration quotas Act in the 1920s).

Despite being nominally dedicated to supporting views from the region, South Asia studies largely clings to an outdated theory at its core about an invading (or “migrating”) Indo-European/ Aryan/Hindu race who must perforce be treated as oppressors. Unsurprisingly, soon after a frail Gujarati grandfather was brutalised by a policeman in Alabama and a number of Hindu temples were vandalised, South Asian anti-racism organisations were insisting that it was wrong to view these actions as cases of Hinduphobia or even Indophobia! According to them, racism and hate crimes in America happen only against Muslims, Arabs, Sikhs, and other “South Asians”.

Unfortunately, this silence about Indophobia is not the fault of American academia or politics alone. Successive Indian governments have lauded NRIs and talked trade and commerce, but continue to ignore the essential role of soft power in an age of global information and narrative wars. I wonder, for instance, if the Pravasi Bharatiya events ever address issues like the outdated American history lessons on India and their effects on Indian-origin children.

And for a government that speaks of India’s civilisational legacy, we have seen little more than big-arena pep talks for NRIs till now. In contrast, CCTV and Al Jazeera offer strong views on world affairs from their regions, while India doesn’t seem to have a story about itself anywhere on the world stage. At best, we offer tourism brochures, samosa stalls and Jai Ho dance routines.

Without a global voice, India will feel not only the cultural impact of Indophobia on its children and grandchildren, but the economic consequences too, as the visa fee hike has already shown. And since we listen to money more than people these days, ihope we learn something at least now.

Stealing from our silence: American Indophobia has led to the demonisation of Indians as “job stealers”

There is no "INDIA-PHOBIA" in the USA--------there is a WORLD ECONOMIC CRISIS going on. As to misstated history-------YUP----the whole USA public school
history curriculum was authored by BRITISH ARM CHAIR "historians"------India is not
the only victim. India is the victim of itself. Indians still "worship" the Brits----
have been doing so ever since the EAST INDIA TEA COMPANY started pouring tea
down Hindu throats and it is hindus who buy the BRITISH VERSION OF WORLD HISTORY----
don't blame the USA for your the faults of your own, Vik.

disputes over world trade and outsourcing are a result of world wide economic stress------not the scent of coriander and cumin. Now sit tight and wait for the
disaster MODI has fomented in his ALLIANCE with your good friend IRAN.
The root of India's social stagnation is DARJEELING TEA and DEPENDENCY

Indians?...

... Aww man...

... I didn't even see no arrows.

good post------You have expressed the POV of most USA citizens of the YANKEE
DOODLE and DIXIE sects. There are some people from far away----to the east----somewhere east of the old USSR -------who do not know what "INDIANS" are

This was the best paragraph from in the OP:

The fact is that neither outsourcing nor immigration need to be framed as “job stealing”. Yet, that is the trope by which America knows India. When Americans consume French wines, they don’t think that French vineyard workers are stealing the jobs of their American counterparts. When Americans go shopping, they don’t stop because something they like was made in China. And yet, when it comes to the skilled labour that keeps their digital universe running smoothly, somehow a “thief” comes to mind. Their consumption of Indian services isn’t seen as just business, but as India stealing something.

LOL-----yeah right-------the OP is utterly BRILLIANT-----thanks for letting us know

LOL-----yeah right-------the OP is utterly BRILLIANT-----thanks for letting us know

It is not brilliant. It simply states a narrative. This narrative counters the narratives of people who are spreading Indophobia in the U.S.

It is not brilliant. It simply states a narrative. This narrative counters the narratives of people who are spreading Indophobia in the U.S.

I never met a SPECFICIALLY 'indophobe' in the USA--------I met lots of
PHOBES-------who harbored enough phobe to include "INDO" even if
the persons involved could not tell an 'INDO' from a ----
SIKH, from a PAKISTANI from a NIGERIAN from an ESKIMO.
You are thinking -----British. USA red necks are not all that sophisticated

It is not the rednecks that hate Indians. I never had any problems with rednecks. They like Indians for the most part.

It is not the rednecks that hate Indians. I never had any problems with rednecks. They like Indians for the most part.

not lately-----now that the ECONOMIC ISSUE IS HUGE-----india is blamed for the
outsource problem to a lesser extent than is CHINA There is---in general---no indophobia in the USA-------there is some in England. It is utter nonsense to blame
the idiot versions of history taught thruout the world on THE USA----the brits invented that crap---------I will not get into sources the brits found "credible"

outsource problem to a lesser extent than is CHINA There is---in general---no indophobia in the USA-------there is some in England. It is utter nonsense to blame
the idiot versions of history taught thruout the world on THE USA----the brits invented that crap---------I will not get into sources the brits found "credible"

A portion of your post makes good sense. Brits indeed play a major role in spreading Indophobia but they have an ally in Jewish media which too gladly spreads Indophobia.

A portion of your post makes good sense. Brits indeed play a major role in spreading Indophobia but they have an ally in Jewish media which too gladly spreads Indophobia.

you got a link? An interesting anecdote. Long long ago-----when I was young
I did an elective sociology course (those kind of courses were needed to complete the "liberal arts" part of my program and they were EASY "A"s) It was
SOCIOLOGY OF MINORITIES-------the big assignment was a long paper on
a MINORITY OF ANY CHOICE------2/3 of the class did BLACK AMERICANS----
1/3 did AMERICAN INDIANS-----except me------I did "paki bashing" in England.
which was actually SOUTH EAST ASIAN bashing. At that time---many years
before I met him-----present hubby was a student in England------HE GOT PAKI
BASHED.------well---it was a matter of his physical appearance---black hair----
slightly dark complexion---etc they thought he was an INDIAN. Does that
story make you feel better? -----(I did not think so) Nope----even in the class---
no one knew INDIANs or SOUTH EAST ASIANS ----in the USA as a minority to
dislike------except those who found reasons to hate anyone who does not speak
standard mid west USA English (UNACCENTED) I WAS THE ONLY STUDENT
who saw southeast Asians as a "MINORITY"---at least back then------in medieval
America. You are over-reacting

I did an elective sociology course (those kind of courses were needed to complete the "liberal arts" part of my program and they were EASY "A"s) It was
story make you feel better? -----(I did not think so) Nope----even in the class---

Just monitor Jewish media outlets and journalists. You don't have wait too long.

Just monitor Jewish media outlets and journalists. You don't have wait too long.

"Jewsish media outlets"??? can you name one? You have the low down on
which journalist is a jew? That kind of information usually shows up in islamo
Nazi propaganda rags. Be aware----if your fellow islamo Nazis want to claim a person is a JOOOOO they just give him a jewish grandma------somewhere. Some guy in Iran hated Achmadinejad so much that he decided he had a jewish grandmother

Technology and outsourcing is what "stole" America's middle class jobs. Period. End of discussion.
It is true that legal immigrants and illegals take jobs, but it is minuscule compared to the millions forever lost outsourced and replaced by computerization.

GOOD NEWS!! I did search around the net for "jewish india phobia" via many
different "seach terms"-----but came up empty----EXCEPT FOR ONE DELIGHTFUL
issue---------several white supremacist groups are into equating BJP (hihdu
nationalist party of india) with ZIONISM -----as the twin evils in the WORLD!!!.
WAY TO GO ---MODI !!!!!!

Gang rapists trying to come off as victims. When will it end?

I think by now we have gotten a very good idea that you harbor a fantasy of being gang raped by Indian men. You don't have to make posts after posts about this. We got it the very first time. Although, I would say you perhaps are barking at the wrong tree (nation).

I think by now we have gotten a very good idea that you harbor a fantasy of being gang raped by Indian men. You don't have to make posts after posts about this. We got it the very first time. Although, I would say you perhaps are barking at the wrong tree (nation).
So what is it about gang raping in India? Are you proud of it?

So what is it about gang raping in India? Are you proud of it?

Are you proud of being an idiot and a bigot?

Forum List

Back