Stephen Hawking: The afterlife is a fairy tale (but your brain might go on)

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Speaking at the premiere of a documentary about his life, the famed physicist said the human brain might be able to be copied and therefore preserved. But the body? No chance.

In the next life, we will all correct the things we got wrong in this one.

We'll be better, nicer people, calmer and more knowing. Or we'll be horses in a field, grazing away our days.

Please, keep fantasizing. But it isn't going to happen. At least according to Stephen Hawking.

He knows that many fantasize about an afterlife. But he'd like to answer that with: "Oh, phooey."

Actually, what he said at a premiere of a documentary about his life was: "I think the conventional afterlife is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark."

Stephen Hawking: The afterlife is a fairy tale (but your brain might go on) | Cutting Edge - CNET News

I think the world would be a better place if we start bettering the now. No more bowing to rocks or killing for god.

Please.

Last edited:
The "conventional afterlife" is a bit of an oxymoron, but the sentiment about people being "afraid of the dark" is spot on. No one knows what the afterlife will be like because no one has ever returned to specifically describe it. (Settle down, "many mansions" is a metaphor.)

That being said, it is equally invalid to argue against an afterlife: Why else would all human societies incorporate this otherwise singular idea? Individuals have varying levels of (dis)comfort with the unknown, but to deny its existence exemplifies arrogance in the extreme.

Speaking at the premiere of a documentary about his life, the famed physicist said the human brain might be able to be copied and therefore preserved. But the body? No chance.

In the next life, we will all correct the things we got wrong in this one.

We'll be better, nicer people, calmer and more knowing. Or we'll be horses in a field, grazing away our days.

Please, keep fantasizing. But it isn't going to happen. At least according to Stephen Hawking.

He knows that many fantasize about an afterlife. But he'd like to answer that with: "Oh, phooey."

Actually, what he said at a premiere of a documentary about his life was: "I think the conventional afterlife is a fairy tale for people afraid of the dark."

Stephen Hawking: The afterlife is a fairy tale (but your brain might go on) | Cutting Edge - CNET News

I think the world would be a better place if we start bettering the now. No more bowing to rocks or killing for god.

Please.

I Corinthians 1:
25: For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26: For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth;
27: but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong,
28: God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
29: so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.

Stephen Hawking is a fool according to God but a wise man according to sinners of this world.

Forum List

Back