Still Pissed About Jeb

Certainly the permanent political class, of which Presidents Bush 41 and 43, both of whom I like personally a great deal, are a part of, are going to try to undermine and/or destroy somebody who dares to shake up a status quo that has so greatly benefited THEM. The permanent political class has long been interested only in promoting their personal power, prestige, influence, wealth. The only difference between the parties is the constituencies they represent and they throw those constituencies just enough bones to keep us voting them into their very lucrative positions.

And add in the fact that Candidate Trump said something uncomplimentary about their family member, and it becomes even more personal.

Tacky of them to attack a sitting President.

But typical in a book written exactly for the purpose of doing that.

I would disagree with that. I'm no Bush family fan, but Trump did attack GW and Jeb on many occasions uncalled for. I believe that they have the right to strike back when the opportunity is given. I feel the same way about Trump. Most of the Trump controversies were about him defending himself and striking back at those who attacked him first.

I guess I'm just a big self-defense kind of guy. So I approve of the Bush's dislike for Donald, but I disagree with them voting for anybody outside our party. If you have a quarrel within your ranks, you don't join the enemy to get even.

Trump is Trump. He didn't say anything really vicious or even out of line re Jeb and, on Jake Tapper's show on CNN he sort of apologized for hitting Jeb so hard:

Republican candidate Donald Trump says he "felt bad" after being "too rough" on Jeb Bush in his campaign announcement this week.

"I think he's a nice person. I actually felt bad because I hit him very hard one day like two days ago, three days ago, and I said, why am I hitting him so hard?" Trump told CNN's Jake Tapper in an interview set to air Sunday during "State of the Union."

Trump grilled many of his Republican competitors this week in his announcement speech, dropping the politeness and subtler digs most other politicians stick to and he delivered his sharpest hits on Bush.

"I don't see how he can get the nomination," Trump said in his kickoff. "He's weak on immigration and he supports Common Core. How the hell can you vote for this guy?". . ."
Donald Trump 'felt bad' for bashing Jeb Bush - CNNPolitics

I thought Bush 43 to be extremely weak on immigration and I also strongly opposed him on Common core. I thought him terrible on immigration, education, energy, entitlements, environment, he botched the handling of Katrina, I didn't want us to invade Iraq and I sure as hell didn't want to get into nation building in Afghanistan and Iraq, and he did nothing to keep Congress from spending like drunken sailors. Yet I voted for him twice because the Democrats keep putting up platforms and candidates who are wholly unacceptable to me. At least President Bush had some good results with the economy and nobody would have handled 9/11 any better than he did.

Jeb is an endearing and intelligent guy who I always admired as the cream of the crop of the Bush clan and in a way still do. But. . .he is indeed much of the same caliber and point of view on several issues. He did some good work as governor of Florida and I agree with him on several issues but, like Trump, I saw him as very weak on immigration and I hated Common Core. Nevertheless, he was on my short list of GOP candidates I thought I could support.

He however got 8% or less of the votes in the primaries he ran in and he quickly saw the handwriting on the wall and dropped out early. He was not an appealing candidate in a year in which 60+ million of us were fed up with the feckless permanent political class and wanted somebody who would fight for us instead of for the government.

Well apologies are only so good once the damage is done; not that I think Jeb stood a chance, but Trump laid into him, so Jeb (and George) have every right to punch back. Actually, GW stayed quiet for quite a while which surprised me.

But it is politics and Jeb ran against Trump, George did not. GW was quietly minding his own business. I think the punch below the belt was attaching the Iraq war stigma on Jeb because his brother was the leader and promoter of it. It forced Jeb into the position of defending his brothers actions.

I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall something Trump said about the old man as well. In any event, my point is that the Bush's didn't draw first blood.

Trump during one of the debates, "Jeb pretty soon you will be way out on the end of the stage" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trump is quick and entertaining. I liked when he harped on Jeb because he was so timid. He said Jeb was no energy. Later in the debate when they asked the candidates what mascot they would like to have to represent their campaign and why, Jeb picked the energizer rabbit and said it's because the rabbit had high energy. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

And I find things like that with some kind of historical connotation funny and great and endearing on the part of everybody. It's kind of like Trump nicknaming Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas'. Given the history of Warren trying to capitalize on an American Indian heritage based on her high cheekbones, that was clever, funny, and not at all mean. I honestly laughed out loud when he first used it.:)

Last edited:
a bit more , brothers from different mothers , thats 'gwb' and 'clintoon' . --- ---

th
th
th
th

I would disagree with that. I'm no Bush family fan, but Trump did attack GW and Jeb on many occasions uncalled for. I believe that they have the right to strike back when the opportunity is given. I feel the same way about Trump. Most of the Trump controversies were about him defending himself and striking back at those who attacked him first.

I guess I'm just a big self-defense kind of guy. So I approve of the Bush's dislike for Donald, but I disagree with them voting for anybody outside our party. If you have a quarrel within your ranks, you don't join the enemy to get even.

Trump is Trump. He didn't say anything really vicious or even out of line re Jeb and, on Jake Tapper's show on CNN he sort of apologized for hitting Jeb so hard:

Republican candidate Donald Trump says he "felt bad" after being "too rough" on Jeb Bush in his campaign announcement this week.

"I think he's a nice person. I actually felt bad because I hit him very hard one day like two days ago, three days ago, and I said, why am I hitting him so hard?" Trump told CNN's Jake Tapper in an interview set to air Sunday during "State of the Union."

Trump grilled many of his Republican competitors this week in his announcement speech, dropping the politeness and subtler digs most other politicians stick to and he delivered his sharpest hits on Bush.

"I don't see how he can get the nomination," Trump said in his kickoff. "He's weak on immigration and he supports Common Core. How the hell can you vote for this guy?". . ."

I thought Bush 43 to be extremely weak on immigration and I also strongly opposed him on Common core. I thought him terrible on immigration, education, energy, entitlements, environment, he botched the handling of Katrina, I didn't want us to invade Iraq and I sure as hell didn't want to get into nation building in Afghanistan and Iraq, and he did nothing to keep Congress from spending like drunken sailors. Yet I voted for him twice because the Democrats keep putting up platforms and candidates who are wholly unacceptable to me. At least President Bush had some good results with the economy and nobody would have handled 9/11 any better than he did.

Jeb is an endearing and intelligent guy who I always admired as the cream of the crop of the Bush clan and in a way still do. But. . .he is indeed much of the same caliber and point of view on several issues. He did some good work as governor of Florida and I agree with him on several issues but, like Trump, I saw him as very weak on immigration and I hated Common Core. Nevertheless, he was on my short list of GOP candidates I thought I could support.

He however got 8% or less of the votes in the primaries he ran in and he quickly saw the handwriting on the wall and dropped out early. He was not an appealing candidate in a year in which 60+ million of us were fed up with the feckless permanent political class and wanted somebody who would fight for us instead of for the government.

Well apologies are only so good once the damage is done; not that I think Jeb stood a chance, but Trump laid into him, so Jeb (and George) have every right to punch back. Actually, GW stayed quiet for quite a while which surprised me.

But it is politics and Jeb ran against Trump, George did not. GW was quietly minding his own business. I think the punch below the belt was attaching the Iraq war stigma on Jeb because his brother was the leader and promoter of it. It forced Jeb into the position of defending his brothers actions.

I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall something Trump said about the old man as well. In any event, my point is that the Bush's didn't draw first blood.

Trump during one of the debates, "Jeb pretty soon you will be way out on the end of the stage" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, I had to grin at that one too. Both funny and prophetic as Jeb was unable to gain any traction anywhere. Had he stayed in, Rubio would have beaten him in Florida and Rubio lost to Trump in Florida, his own state, with a miserable 27% of the vote.

You have to be the world's biggest idiot to tell your voter base that you don't intend to do anything they want once you get elected.

Well in fairness to Jeb and Marco and all the others, none of them quite said that. But all were running with a typical poll tested and scripted standard list of stuff politicians have told us they would do for decades. But none of the more popular candidates convinced us that once in office that they wouldn't be the typical poll tested, scripted professional politician of the permanent political class that has talked a good game and has accomplished little that is worthwhile in decades. Meanwhile they demand and spend more and more money that also accomplishes little that is worthwhile.

Huckabee and Carson were outliers who just weren't convincing that they were tough enough. Cruz and Fiorina were outliers, but both come across as angry people. Neither had/have the kind of personality that persuades large numbers of people to trust and like them. Except for Trump, all the rest were seen as typical mostly status quo politicians. Including all the Democrats.

So that is why it came to be that Trump stood alone. And except for those of us who share his vision, and put that ahead of and more important than anything else, he still does.

H. W. really shows his colors here. From him through Obama was an unfortunate series of globalist presidents. Let's not do that again.

Trump Is a ‘Blowhard,’ ‘I Don’t Like Him’ and I Voted for Hillary, George Bush Says in New Book
This illustrates the stark difference between conservatives/republicans and liberals/democrats. In the Democratic Party, the leaders are chosen from and by the inside elitist. The masses are told who their leaders will be and the sheepish followers accept it.

On the conservative side, there exist diversity in ideas and a willingness towards individualism. Elected officials are expected to do the bidding of their constituents, not the other way around like we see from the democrats.

Trump is quick and entertaining. I liked when he harped on Jeb because he was so timid. He said Jeb was no energy. Later in the debate when they asked the candidates what mascot they would like to have to represent their campaign and why, Jeb picked the energizer rabbit and said it's because the rabbit had high energy. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

And I find things like that with some kind of historical connotation funny and great and endearing on the part of everybody. It's kind of like Trump nicknaming Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas'. Given the history of Warren trying to capitalize on an American Indian heritage based on her high cheekbones, that was clever, funny, and not at all mean. I honestly laughed out loud when he first used it.:)

I don't know if that was his creation. Rush might have been calling her that for some time before the debates.

I think his best one so far was Rocket Man. :flameth:

If anyone is tacky it is Trump. He is just re-stocking the swamp. When big business tells him to jump he just asks how high. He is putting lobbyists in to oversee the areas they lobby in.

I had a lot of differences when they were President but they have 1 thing Trump will never have. Class. A majority of voters agree with the Bush family.

Nicely recited Democratic talking points but I don't believe a word of it. I will concede that he will never be the poll tested, scripted, polished politician that so many think he has to be in order to be acceptable. (Though the left wing would trash him no matter what his style.)

But it was because he is not that poll tested, scripted, polished politician who plays by the permanent political class rules that got him elected by 60+ million people who didn't want a poll tested, scripted, polished politician as a leader.

Not true. Voters were repulsed by both candidates. Both were seen as dishonest but enough reluctantly voted for Trump. If you look at the polls for both Clinton and Trump you would see something interesting. Anyone who was seen as honest on the Republican side did better against Clinton than they did against Biden or Sanders who were seem as more honest. Democrats who were seen as more honest did better against Trump than Clinton. This was a vote for who was the less awful.

Yet more people voted in this election than last.

Bang!

That was your point blowing up!

No it was not. In many states both Clinton and Trump got fewer votes than Obama did in 2012. Both Trump and Clinton got fewer votes in Virginia than Obama did in 2012 and Trump got fewer votes than Romney did. Exit polls showed that 25% of Trump's support came from people voting against Clinton not for Trump.

And a whole bunch of votes Clinton got was voting against Trump and not for Clinton.

And in the end it is Donald Trump that the vast majority of the country wanted. The ONLY reason Hillary won the popular vote, even in California, was the heavy concentrations of votes in sanctuary cities and/or with huge welfare populations. Remove those dependent on government and who strongly support illegal immigration from the equation and Trump wins the popular vote overwhelmingly.

I think the left tends to exaggerate this. Exit polls did not reflect that sentiment.

I don't know if that was his creation. Rush might have been calling her that for some time before the debates.

I think his best one so far was Rocket Man. :flameth:

Whether he coined the phrase or not, I don't know. It was still really funny without being cruel or mean. And yes, "Rocket Man" is another good one . :)

Nicely recited Democratic talking points but I don't believe a word of it. I will concede that he will never be the poll tested, scripted, polished politician that so many think he has to be in order to be acceptable. (Though the left wing would trash him no matter what his style.)

But it was because he is not that poll tested, scripted, polished politician who plays by the permanent political class rules that got him elected by 60+ million people who didn't want a poll tested, scripted, polished politician as a leader.

Not true. Voters were repulsed by both candidates. Both were seen as dishonest but enough reluctantly voted for Trump. If you look at the polls for both Clinton and Trump you would see something interesting. Anyone who was seen as honest on the Republican side did better against Clinton than they did against Biden or Sanders who were seem as more honest. Democrats who were seen as more honest did better against Trump than Clinton. This was a vote for who was the less awful.

Yet more people voted in this election than last.

Bang!

That was your point blowing up!

No it was not. In many states both Clinton and Trump got fewer votes than Obama did in 2012. Both Trump and Clinton got fewer votes in Virginia than Obama did in 2012 and Trump got fewer votes than Romney did. Exit polls showed that 25% of Trump's support came from people voting against Clinton not for Trump.

And a whole bunch of votes Clinton got was voting against Trump and not for Clinton.

And in the end it is Donald Trump that the vast majority of the country wanted. The ONLY reason Hillary won the popular vote, even in California, was the heavy concentrations of votes in sanctuary cities and/or with huge welfare populations. Remove those dependent on government and who strongly support illegal immigration from the equation and Trump wins the popular vote overwhelmingly.

I think the left tends to exaggerate this. Exit polls did not reflect that sentiment.

The exit polls have been consistently wrong a lot of the time lately. The evidence when it is looked at objectively and without partisan blinders is pretty clear.

Forum List

Back